The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

MostHelpNeeded

Your mentality is exactly why Eastern is out of business
Your mentality is exactly why top rate hasn't kept up with inflation for the last 10+ years. Raises under 3% = stepping backwards.
Remember when we hit $30/hr and people with the same mentality were saying that was wayyy too much for a labor job? Yeah, the company was profiting 3 billion/year then. Record profits after record profits since then. UPS raises rates every year to cover inflation and the increased cost of doing business. They are NOT paying us more then they were 10 or 20 years ago, they are paying us less. I wish more people could understand this.

Some food for thought; You can go back and do the math yourself, but if we had kept up with inflation, and had the same buying power today as we had in say 2007, top rate would be right around $45/hr....before this years massive inflation hit. When you add in this year, we should be going into contract negotiations looking for $50/hr.

It's a big jump from $40 to $50 and I understand that. It's because we've been stepping backwards....and because of that, the $50 sounds like a pipe dream. If we would have addressed this year ago it would be different today, but we didn't, and here we are.
BEcause of this, we have to do away with $.70 this year, $.80 the next year, etc. With a good contract, raises would be a percentage....say 3% increase per year, or tied to inflation rates.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Your mentality is exactly why top rate hasn't kept up with inflation for the last 10+ years. Raises under 3% = stepping backwards.
Remember when we hit $30/hr and people with the same mentality were saying that was wayyy too much for a labor job? Yeah, the company was profiting 3 billion/year then. Record profits after record profits since then. UPS raises rates every year to cover inflation and the increased cost of doing business. They are NOT paying us more then they were 10 or 20 years ago, they are paying us less. I wish more people could understand this.

Some food for thought; You can go back and do the math yourself, but if we had kept up with inflation, and had the same buying power today as we had in say 2007, top rate would be right around $45/hr....before this years massive inflation hit. When you add in this year, we should be going into contract negotiations looking for $50/hr.

It's a big jump from $40 to $50 and I understand that. It's because we've been stepping backwards....and because of that, the $50 sounds like a pipe dream. If we would have addressed this year ago it would be different today, but we didn't, and here we are.
BEcause of this, we have to do away with $.70 this year, $.80 the next year, etc. With a good contract, raises would be a percentage....say 3% increase per year, or tied to inflation rates.
I'm voting no on anything less than $50 hr and that is giving them a deal

PT Car Washer

$50/hr PT Car Washer. What could go wrong?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
$50/hr PT Car Washer. What could go wrong?

What is your angle?

You always rightfully point out that the starting pay for drivers and part timers is junk in today’s money and how much better it used to be.

But then you have a problem when people actually want a raise?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

One of the many reasons that Corporate has implemented these so called (Transformation) programs is to lower the overall compensation for the middle managers and eliminate redundancy. The elimination of further funding or vesting into their own management pension plans is indicative of them demanding cuts in their collective bargaining agreements. It is hard to justify cutting costs for their (essential workers) when the management side is getting fat and will have a good chance to retire multi millionaires with their increasing stock options.

Satuirus2000

I'll never understand all this doom and gloom about workers being too greedy with unreasonable raises to the point that people think that it's going to bankruptcy the company eventually.

If this company showed signs of profits slowing down I could almost get behind that line of thinking. But that is not the current reality. They are making huge amounts of money and it would dumb to not ask for our share. It's the companies job to be cheap as :censored2: and stingy by hoarding money for themselves. It's our unions job to be a counterpoint to that and get us what we deserve. I think it's always good to ask for the moon anyway, even if it seems unreasonable, because that's how you find happy mediums. That's what negotiating is all about.

These last two contracts have been a disgrace and huge givebacks. Why anyone is entertaining the idea of going big for our cut as something bad is beyond me.