The information campaign

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
But they don't have to stave off unionization because it's nearly impossible to unionize. That study only applies to companies where it is possible. And employees willing to work much harder have already left for greener pastures. It's been a long time since FedEx was trying to hire quality candidates. Now it's hire whoever isn't bright enough to ask around about FedEx and believes what the hiring mgr tells him.
I wasn't promoting unionization, I was expressing my opinion as to how FedEx could compete with UPS in wages and benefits, which would require reinventing the company philosophy from the top, down.
There are always potential employees willing to work harder for increased rewards. We just have to identify them, hire them, and eliminate the slackers.

vantexan

I wasn't promoting unionization, I was expressing my opinion as to how FedEx could compete with UPS in wages and benefits, which would require reinventing the company philosophy from the top, down.
There are always potential employees willing to work harder for increased rewards. We just have to identify them, hire them, and eliminate the slackers.
But you referenced a study that spoke of avoiding a union. So really doesn't translate well into this situation. FedEx gets away with what it does because it will never face a union under current rules. They have no intent to increase rewards. The new pay plan was about all that could be hoped for and it screwed employees who had already put in many years. And they aren't even keeping to that on an annual basis so far. And still it's not likely if they implemented everything the study said that they'd still increase profit to the point they could be UPS comparable with the pay and benefits.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
But you referenced a study that spoke of avoiding a union. So really doesn't translate well into this situation. FedEx gets away with what it does because it will never face a union under current rules. They have no intent to increase rewards. The new pay plan was about all that could be hoped for and it screwed employees who had already put in many years. And they aren't even keeping to that on an annual basis so far. And still it's not likely if they implemented everything the study said that they'd still increase profit to the point they could be UPS comparable with the pay and benefits.
You postulated that FedEx can't, and I responded with how it could be possible.

And the article wasn't about union avoidance, it was about how incentives increase productivity. And increased productivity increases profit. A feedback loop, so to speak.