The Law

wkmac

Hey Tie,
You've been very quiet. Have you read more of Bastiat's "The Law" at the link I posted? Read it because in the end I really think you'll enjoy it and appreciate many of the things he sez.

tieguy

Banned
Naaa I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with it.I see a government that sits around with its thumb up its rear wondering what they should do or if they should do anything. I kinda like our system now. Give me some strong willed leadership in government. If I think it was too strong or too misguided then I take ya out the back door and put you out of your misery. Half the fun with this system is shooting the gophers that actually have the guts to stick their heads up out of their holes.:tongue_sm

wkmac

tieguy said:
Naaa I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with it.I see a government that sits around with its thumb up its rear wondering what they should do or if they should do anything. I kinda like our system now. Give me some strong willed leadership in government. If I think it was too strong or too misguided then I take ya out the back door and put you out of your misery. Half the fun with this system is shooting the gophers that actually have the guts to stick their heads up out of their holes.:tongue_sm

So you're happy with the idea that the adminstrations under folks like Jefferson, Adams, etc. were, as you put it," gov't that sits around with its thumb up its rear wondering what they should do..." I say that in light of the very fact that the adminstrations of the very men I listed were very much vastly more aligned with the ideas and ideals of Bastiat than the many past adminstrations America has seen from the previous century til today. In fact much of what inspired Bastiat was among other thing the American Revolutionary thinking. You also vastly misunderstand what the true intended focus and purpose of State and local gov'ts were verses that of a National one in scope with the founding of this country.

You might take some time and read many of the founding documents that formed this nation in the first place and the thinking of the men who drafted those documents. I don't think that having a system that "shoots gophers who stick their heads out of their holes" as you put it was what they had in mind.

Hmmmm! Appreciate the insight into your thinking just the same.

tieguy

Banned
I'm not trying to win...against you. Just don't like buying into the paranoid concepts. Perhaps there is some truth but its too disturbing....sigh....

wkmac

tieguy said:
I'm not trying to win...against you. Just don't like buying into the paranoid concepts. Perhaps there is some truth but its too disturbing....sigh....

Take some advice Tie,

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! pick up a history book and read it. From here on I'll let you be the frog in the pot that you want to be. Enjoy life and the comfortable waters, as it is. Just never look outside the pot. You are right, it is disturbing.

Take care.

tieguy

Banned
Seriously though I do think you can take this fear of big brother too far. Every political extremist out there regardless of what side of the fence he is on can often make a convincing arguement as to their vision of government abuse. Where does it end? What is the real truth? What is the real threat? How far do I want to go with this fear of government? These are the questions one has to ask theirselves. I prefer to see if the system of checks and balances work. The free press is an integral part of the system as the reporting of government spying internally again shows. Our debates and discussions into government fearmongering also provide an important check and balance. Even Teddy Kennedy drunkenly grandstanding in congress is a part of the balance. Other than that I'm not sure I really want to step off into the political darkside of government at its worst. I'm not sure I want to step any further into that dark hole of government gloom and doom. A hand would have to reach out of the darkness and pull me in for me to go any further.