The REAL 5 seeing habits

ImpactedTSG

1. Aim high in dog watching. Know where the little bastards are ahead of time so you can prepare the diad for a whack across the snout.

2. Get the Cell Phone picture. Carry a camera phone to get pics of the hot chicks you see on route. Stories back at the center are much better with pics.

3. Keep your eyes moving. The weather is getting nice and hot chicks are everywhere!

4. Leave yourself an out. Pay a kid $5 to ride his bike around with your diad so the center will think you are making deliveries while you are taking a nap. GPS what?

5. Make sure they see you. They meaning hot chicks. Ladies like men in uniform.

These are the real 5 seeing habits that only the good HR people will tell you.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
1. Aim high in dog watching. Know where the little bastards are ahead of time so you can prepare the diad for a whack across the snout.

2. Get the Cell Phone picture. Carry a camera phone to get pics of the hot chicks you see on route. Stories back at the center are much better with pics.

3. Keep your eyes moving. The weather is getting nice and hot chicks are everywhere!

4. Leave yourself an out. Pay a kid $5 to ride his bike around with your diad so the center will think you are making deliveries while you are taking a nap. GPS what?

5. Make sure they see you. They meaning hot chicks. Ladies like men in uniform.

These are the real 5 seeing habits that only the good HR people will tell you.
You suck I thought the diad idea was mine...good call

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I leave my diad in a letter box, so they think I'm taking lunch in one place while I ride off area to a better restaurant for lunch. This will also work if you have a dependable friend who works on your route where you can drop off the board and pick it up later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JustTired

free at last.......
I leave my diad in a letter box, so they think I'm taking lunch in one place while I ride off area to a better restaurant for lunch. This will also work if you have a dependable friend who works on your route where you can drop off the board and pick it up later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey......you're supposed to be a "dumb truck driver". You're not suppose to be smart enough to think of anything like that. Keep it up and they'll start asking for your input when it comes to dispatch problems.:wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Another "dirty trick" for the DIAD...store it in a microwave oven during your luch hour. The GPS wont work at all, and the DIAD wont be able to send or recieve anything. Just dont turn the oven on by mistake.

helenofcalifornia

Your Five REAL seeing habits are a laugh. It should be brought back every summer. Just insert "dudes" for "chicks." There usually isn't that many female or gay drivers to show our hot pix to though when we get back to UPS at night. Great post! Funny!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Make sure you put in a disclaimer for UpstateNYUPSer when he answers this.

Disclaimer--big word for you--I am impressed, plus you spelled it right, so I am doubly impressed. Did somebody help you? Yes, I added the capitalization in your quote--wouldn't want you to both spell the words correctly and use proper capitalization, now would we? Baby steps--first we'll work on the spelling and then capitalization and finally punctuation. Contextual clarity will have to wait as I am sure the above three will take you quite some time to complete.

local804

Another "dirty trick" for the DIAD...store it in a microwave oven during your luch hour. The GPS wont work at all, and the DIAD wont be able to send or recieve anything. Just dont turn the oven on by mistake.

Diad 2 used to not get messages if you placed aluminum foil around it. It would kick back all messages to the oms.
many moons ago....

pretzel_man

Diad 2 used to not get messages if you placed aluminum foil around it. It would kick back all messages to the oms.
many moons ago....

Actually, DIAD 2 did get messages. Not at the beginning of course.

DIAD 2 didn't have a radio built in like DIAD 3 and 4. With the DIAD 2, you had to put it into a vehicle holder (DVA). The DVA had a cell radi connected that could allow the DIAD 2 to communicate with the mainframe.

The DIAD 2 would send up tracking information and then download messages. It took much longer for a message to be sent and received.

If you remember, in order to make that work, UPS had to create a consortium of many, many cell phone companies.

That was quite a feat back in the day.

P-Man

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Actually, DIAD 2 did get messages. Not at the beginning of course.

DIAD 2 didn't have a radio built in like DIAD 3 and 4. With the DIAD 2, you had to put it into a vehicle holder (DVA). The DVA had a cell radi connected that could allow the DIAD 2 to communicate with the mainframe.

The DIAD 2 would send up tracking information and then download messages. It took much longer for a message to be sent and received.

If you remember, in order to make that work, UPS had to create a consortium of many, many cell phone companies.

That was quite a feat back in the day.

P-Man

I can remember when they first installed some of the hardware in my old P-800. There was a flat, sheet-metal "satellite dish" contraption that was mounted above the bulkhead door in the package compartment, almost flush with the roof. It was about the size of an open umbrella. It took awhile for me to get used to it, I was always afraid of bumping my head on it even though it was up high enough to prevent that from happening. It also made the package compartment noticeably darker due to the shade it created.

pretzel_man

I can remember when they first installed some of the hardware in my old P-800. There was a flat, sheet-metal "satellite dish" contraption that was mounted above the bulkhead door in the package compartment, almost flush with the roof. It was about the size of an open umbrella. It took awhile for me to get used to it, I was always afraid of bumping my head on it even though it was up high enough to prevent that from happening. It also made the package compartment noticeably darker due to the shade it created.

If I remember right, that was called a CTM. Cellular Telephone Modem (I think).

The DIAD plugged into the DVA, and the DVA spoke to the CTM so that DIAD could communicate to the mainframe.

DIAD 3 used the DVA and CTM. When DIAD 4 came out, they took them out. I think only about 1/2 really still worked by then.

That was some leading edge stuff back then.

P-Man

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Now we have to update the "real" seeing habits to include how we do it, what it does for us (especially the pics?) and some key phrases. STUG... no pics from you, I don't want to see you in any more trouble.:surprised: By the way, can someone explain to me why we have to remember a key phrase for each of these "phrases".

Big Babooba

If I turned on the oven, it wouldn't be a mistake. After all, inquiring minds need to know!:devil3:

ol'browneye

The strangest thing about this thread is the posting timeline:

First post was 5/2/2007.
Second post was over a year later on 6/13/2008 with a few more posts for a week or so, then nothing.
Then 9 months later in 3/2009 a flurry of posts followed by 9 more months of nothing before it was resurrected on 12/19/2009.

Not really earth-shaking information, more like a trivial observation.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread-see you in 9 or 10 months!:wink2: