The Sorry State Of The American Romantic Voter

oldngray

nowhere special
I am all for a flat tax. Simplify the tax code and eliminate all of the entitlements and deductions. That will never happen though since both parties are against anything that hits their special interest groups. Plus it would put so many lawyers/tax experts and IRS auditors out of work (which I would like to see but again, no chance of happening).

oldngray

nowhere special
Agreed. I wouldn't mind a flat tax with several tiers based on income but I am against a Fair tax because then you would have arbitrary (and in my opinion based on special interest groups) decisions about what is "fair"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is nothing arbitrary about the Fair Tax. No payroll taxes withheld, 23% national sales tax and a prebate for those below an established income level.

Resident know-it-all.

Atomic_Smurf

Sounds like we have some support for the tea party here. They are the only influence supporting such changes. The establishment in both parties only say they are for it in front of certain audiences but will never let go of the power they have with our current tax code.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sounds like we have some support for the tea party here. They are the only influence supporting such changes. The establishment in both parties only say they are for it in front of certain audiences but will never let go of the power they have with our current tax code.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The amount of money saved by a simple tax code would be astonishing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would to see the Fair Tax. Give me my full paycheck and let me decide how to spend it. Yes, the 23% national sales tax would be a huge adjustment, but I am cheap and know that I would benefit from the Fair Tax.

It would suck to lose my mortgage interest deduction.

Resident know-it-all.
By full paycheck do you also mean Medicare and SS.

I would very interested as to if employers would drop wages if we brought home more of our paychecks.

BrownArmy

No more Clintons, no more Bushes, can we please get someone capable up in here, someone not beholden to each and every KNOBSLOB.MIL.cointel.wecontrolallyourmoney.com etc?

Only way to clean this mess up is to get the money out of politics, plain and simple.

UPS Lifer

Interesting point you make about the romantic voter. Nothing will change, until the media starts doing their job and holding politicians accountable. So they can't spin, lie, deceive the public and demean their opposition. The system is broken. Career politicians, the media and money corrupt the process.

Strong Diversity
It is a mix of ideas and people with diverse cultural backgrounds that have made this country great. It is the extreme ideologues that are tearing it apart (left and right). The "What's in it for me?" attitude and holding our ground at all cost is slowly killing our country. Term limits, campaign spending limits and neutralizing media bias will help voters make a more informed decision. Will that ever happen?

Well Oiled Campaign
We can see that an extremely well-oiled campaign and person with personal charm and charisma doesn't make a leader. On the surface, a well-oiled campaign would indicate that a well-oiled government could be built as well. But running a country is not the same as winning a campaign. Today's campaigns are built upon deception, spinning, and demeaning the opposition. History has showed us what happens when a country has been run using that approach.

True Leadership
True leaders can work across all party platforms, compromise in the best interests of the country, build trust through truth, actions and courage to make tough decisions timely, especially when those decisions are not popular with their base. A true leader has a strategic plan and knows how to get us there and gives the American public the vision of that plan. A true leader has contingency plans that can be put into place to move us forward if the strategy is not working.

Atomic_Smurf

Agreed, a president has to be able to do more than sound smart to stupid people. The TEA party is the only possible vehicle for reform today.

Sent using BrownCafe App