The thousand dollar turkey is gone.

chev

Nightcrawler
Supersup, if you want to continue as a member of this online community, you need to show respect toward other members. You are on thin ice as far as I'm concerned. Your current behavior toward other members needs to show some improvement, or you can troll away on some other site.

In the interest of good will and holiday spirit, I would like to offer Supersup a gift.
boot.jpg
:happy-very:

Zigzag99

I cant belive we are upset about a turkey. Who cares! The amount of money we make I think we should really think more about what we have than what we want or think UPS should give us. Before UPS I was a cook I worked every weekend night and most holidays. Now my company pays me to be Off. I know i sound like a Ra ra guy sometimes but I really enjoy my job. But on the other hand my job sux, most drivers can relate. So to make a long story short, if UPS feels that not giving me a turkey this year is better for the company who am I to complain It is there choice what they do we all know this.

Pip

Considering the economic times. There are a lot of family's that would be appreciative of a turkey or a gift card.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i understand disappointment at the change. but a lot of what has been posted is far from simple disappointment.

secondly, when you in turn give your gift to the (fill in the blanks), your gift is still very much usable, but in many ways, better. but it is still appreciated by them.

maybe its that the gift to them is kinda like getting a gift card from someone for christmas? you know they spent the same money had they gotten a gift of the same value. but for what ever reason, it feels less personal than an actual gift?

d

LiL"Comet"

UPSers.com says that the card is good for a turkey or turkey product. I think I'll go down to the ole packie and use mine on a bottle of Wild Turkey.

LOL tell me how that works out Babs I like that kinda turkey too, especially with honey!

couple of things from my perspective

in my center there was turkey switching. it would seem like tie's 14 pounder had some variance. between 12-18 in our center.

there is also the issue of the food pantries having to deal with 290 turkeys all at once. you think you have a problem finding room all at once for just one?....

the cost of shipping the things probably cost as much if not more than the turkeys cost, or at least close.

all in all, the option of being able to buy one when you feel good and ready to buy one is great. and the food banks, or the favorite charity you donated to appreciate that storage issue as well. 290 $15 cards are pretty easy to store until needed.

last but not least, the turkey is no reflection on what ups thinks you are worth. it goes back many years to when ups men did not make $30 an hour, and turkeys did not cost less than 15.

it is a gift.

and as such, those that complain.........

d

Exactly D I can understand some needing to speak there peace about the turkey's but come on. Change has to happen with all things sometime even tradition's seems as Theo turkey's has come to be as an expectation instead of a gift. Right now in these times be happy for your jobs, health, and family. IMHO:peaceful:

Instead of being so frustrated about turkey put that emotion behind doing something for someone you can help out this season. I believe it's now more important than ever.

In the interest of good will and holiday spirit, I would like to offer Supersup a gift.
boot.jpg
:happy-very:

LOL!! Chev U just have a way with words & :picture:

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Instead of a turkey this year we got a $25 gift certificate to a local grocery chain. And since I don't shop at that particular franchise I gave it away.

LiL"Comet"

Let’s talk turkey

huge%20turkey_135.jpg

This year, you’ll be able to choose your own turkey, on your own schedule

This year, instead of a frozen turkey, UPSers will receive a $15 turkey gift coupon. The coupon may be redeemed for either a turkey or turkey product at any grocery store.
We are doing this for a couple of reasons. First, our supplier, facing business difficulties, recently notified us that they could not fulfill our order for frozen turkeys.

Second, we’ve listened to many of you who said that coupons are preferable to actual turkeys. We have used a coupon system with our Air and Supply Chain groups for a number of years with very positive response.

The gift coupons will be distributed by December 20 to all employees.

The gift of a holiday turkey has been a longstanding tradition at UPS. This year is really no different. Except that this year, you get to choose your own turkey, on your own schedule.

But the thought behind it remains the same, “Happy holidays and thanks for a job well done.”

A Prework Communications Meeting that explains the holiday turkey tradition and the change to coupons will be provided week-ending December 13.

If you don't want your gift card please pay it forward!!!

UPSERS.COMPublished : Nov 17, 2008 01:21 PM

NJ12hrday

I signed on at UPS for the benfits and the hourly wage, not the bonus. And with the economy the way it is I really don't care if we don't get the turkey, as long as nobody loses their jobs. It's just sad that the holiday routine is getting more un-holiday like. I don't know if you guys get what I'm saying. Oh well.:dissapointed:

Camping Nana

Instead of a turkey this year we got a $25 gift certificate to a local grocery chain. And since I don't shop at that particular franchise I gave it away.

Just curious - do you not shop at that franchise because it is not a convenient location???? If you gave it to someone in need, that is admirable. :thumbup: However, if you gave it away simply because you don't want to shop at "that particular franchise", it is like giving away $25 cash..... :confused: I could always stop at a store that is not my favorite store and spend a $25 gift certificate. :wink:

As far as the rest of the thread............ In 35 years, there have been times we have given our turkey to a food bank, given it to someone we personally knew that was in need (with other items to make up a great Christmas dinner) - and believe it or not - even working at UPS, there were times that we "needed" it ourselves. I don't understand the ungrateful attitude that some seem to display. I certainly hope that you don't have the same attitude with friends and relatives who give you a "thank-you" gift and it isn't exactly what you would like to have... :peaceful: JMHO

On a side note - one of my favorite pictures of our eldest son - he was about 6 months old, sitting in the box our UPS turkey came in - the box said "Young Turkey" .... He was grinning to beat the band.... :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
It's just sad that the holiday routine is getting more un-holiday like. I don't know if you guys get what I'm saying. Oh well.:dissapointed:

By the time you put in 20-25 peaks ALL the Christmas spirit will have been sucked out of you. Don't worry though- when you retire it will all come back.:peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have never been shy about expressing my disagreements with UPS management, but I will also give credit where credit is due and be grateful for the annual gift of the turkey. It is wrong to develop a sense of entitlement towards recieving a gift. I will be thankful, whether I get an actual bird or a gift card towards the purchase of one. And from an enviornmental standpoint it is way better to get a card and be able to shop locally for a turkey instead of hauling them all over the country by the truckload.

McLeod

I appreciate the gift, either a frozen turkey or gift card. Seriously though, I bring home a grand a week so I don’t need the company to give me either one.

Maybe UPS should just donate $15.00 per employee to the local food bank.
Good idea!!