The UPS Policy Book with Integrity: Session 2: Preface Part 1

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it is what it is,, i know that,, i just wonder if pman is one of those people that show up to a center and the warnings go out ,, shine your shoes , shave, press your uniform,,the entrance to the building has new mulch and the shrubs are trimmed , you know what im talking about ,, there is a group of management , who have at some point, lost all perspective on the reality of day to day operations ,
Helfire, actually, I believe that Pman would run his operation with all these things already done every day. After all, it is the way it should be, is it not? We need to keep our buildings nice, as the customer comes by and sees how we keep house, we need to keep our uniforms clean, we need to be shaved, and shoes properly kept. He would run a center with the expectation that these things are done daily, not just when some overpaid maroon stumbles into the building from "upstairs".

With Pman, wysiwyg.

It would be really hard for anyone to fake this 100% of the time. Integrity is who he is.
This is another situation altogether. For him to claim what he has claimed, but lacks the knowledge base that he also has shown, the only thing that is 100% is that he is relatively passive. Note, I did not say polite, but passive. There are a lot of attributes that "I" has that is a strong indication of non human intellect, and zero personality. So you might be correct in saying he is who he is, but I read it more like a she or an it.

Over, you brought it up.

d

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Helfire, actually, I believe that Pman would run his operation with all these things already done every day. After all, it is the way it should be, is it not? We need to keep our buildings nice, as the customer comes by and sees how we keep house, we need to keep our uniforms clean, we need to be shaved, and shoes properly kept. He would run a center with the expectation that these things are done daily, not just when some overpaid maroon stumbles into the building from "upstairs".

With Pman, wysiwyg.

d
hmm,, your gonna add mulch and landscaping to your expense account ?? you get beat up over too many uniforms,,,,shined shoes dont change the fact that lower level operations people have ZERO control over daily plans,, those orders come from above,, i would love to see pman run a center,, no---- my center,, with no ranking strings attached, and prove me wrong,,

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I would love to work in a center like that. Did many years ago. Center manager quit UPS and went into embalming business when UPS changed management strategies.

d

over9five

Staff member
I would love to work in a center like that. Did many years ago. Center manager quit UPS and went into embalming business when UPS changed management strategies.

d

So he went from working for a bunch of stiffs to working with ...........a bunch of stiffs?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integ, I took the liberty of resizing your post. No reason to yell ;)
Integ, something you keep repeating is the "Written" policy.

Does the fact that it is written make it more important than unwritten policy?Yes In many cases, written policy has been in needed because people without integrity were violating the unwritten policy. So now that the same policy is written, why does it surprise you to discover those written policies are also not enforced by those same non-integrits? It does not surprise me. Did I say it surprised me?

Yes, I know, to put it in writing gives the company the appearance of having something in writing showing how full of integrity they are. IT also gives the company some legal limbs to hide behind in our litigious world. Also its allows everybody to be on the "same page" when it comes to policy. But what good are truckloads of policy if the company does not enforce the policy, written or not. If "the company" does not enforce their own policies it is a good measure of the culture of the company.

Corporate Executives who don't make it a priority to see that policies are enforced and not avoided are encouraging a culture that works against Integrity, not with him.

In todays legal system, if you do not actively enforce your policy company wide, and knowingly allow it to be violated, then there is no real protection in having it written. And no real reason for its existence.

Large corporations have this covered.

They usually have detailed documents about how important it is to follow policy and more importantly how it is everyone's responsibility to report violations.

They usually have clear open door policies, sometimes they even have 24/7 operator service to make it easy for everyone to report what they know.

d

dannyboy,

I have included my answers in your above quote.

They are in red.

Sincerely,
I

pretzel_man

it is what it is,, i know that,, i just wonder if pman is one of those people that show up to a center and the warnings go out ,, shine your shoes , shave, press your uniform,,the entrance to the building has new mulch and the shrubs are trimmed , you know what im talking about ,, there is a group of management , who have at some point, lost all perspective on the reality of day to day operations , i wonder if pman is one of them, I am at the point now where i just dont care about all the silly micromanagement ,im allmost out, i come here after a few,,maybe alot of beers to shoot the bs,, im just calling it like i see it in my experience,, that being lower level operations are simply puppets, no real control

So, how do I answer this.....

I have never wanted, asked or expected anyone to do anything different in an operation because I'm going to be there. My people absolutely know this and tell me the facts.

However, I am not too naive to know that people will put their best foot forward when a visitor is around. I can see that. I think its human nature. If I were going on a job interview, I would wear a newly pressed suit. Not to kiss ass, but to show respect.

Also, give me a little credit for being able to see through BS. I talk with loaders.... "Is it this clean everyday?" "Do you mark packages every day?" What is your misload frequency?", etc. I can tell if its a show.

I have never been a walk through, shake hands, and take people out to eat kind of person. When I'm in a center, I'm there for a while. Often days. I check look layout, trace, dispatch, metrics, etc. Its hard to hide those problems for a single visit.

Am I jaded? I don't think so. I will not accept a person (especially management) not taking responsibility for THEIR operation and decisions.

I speak to management. If I hear BS, and I call them on it. If they have numbers to chase, I see if they know why. I speak with drivers too. Don't think I don't hear BS from some of them too....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
dannyboy,

I have included my answers in your above quote.

They are in red.

Sincerely,
I

Large corporations have this covered.

They usually have detailed documents about how important it is to follow policy and more importantly how it is everyone's responsibility to report violations.

They usually have clear open door policies, sometimes they even have 24/7 operator service to make it easy for everyone to report what they know.

Dear I,

I believe what you say is the case.
Where I believe we differ in opinion is why this is so.
It is my contention that this "open door" policy is only in place in companies like UPS so the company can anticipate and counter any actions that may present a degree of liability for the company.
It's not that they are concerned in any way with the ethics or morality of an action, rather the bottom line repercu$$ion$ of the questionable activity.
It's about the money.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Sincerely,
Bubble

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
So, how do I answer this.....

I have never wanted, asked or expected anyone to do anything different in an operation because I'm going to be there. My people absolutely know this and tell me the facts.

However, I am not too naive to know that people will put their best foot forward when a visitor is around. I can see that. I think its human nature. If I were going on a job interview, I would wear a newly pressed suit. Not to kiss ass, but to show respect.

Also, give me a little credit for being able to see through BS. I talk with loaders.... "Is it this clean everyday?" "Do you mark packages every day?" What is your misload frequency?", etc. I can tell if its a show.

I have never been a walk through, shake hands, and take people out to eat kind of person. When I'm in a center, I'm there for a while. Often days. I check look layout, trace, dispatch, metrics, etc. Its hard to hide those problems for a single visit.

Am I jaded? I don't think so. I will not accept a person (especially management) not taking responsibility for THEIR operation and decisions.

I speak to management. If I hear BS, and I call them on it. If they have numbers to chase, I see if they know why. I speak with drivers too. Don't think I don't hear BS from some of them too....
how about my cut more cars analogy,, i see it alot in my center, the operations team is told to cut said amount of cars,, sending out the remaining drivers heavy,, then getting reamed out on conference call the next day for to many over 9/5s

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dear I,

I believe what you say is the case.
Where I believe we differ in opinion is why this is so.
It is my contention that this "open door" policy is only in place in companies like UPS so the company can anticipate and counter any actions that may present a degree of liability for the company.
It's not that they are concerned in any way with the ethics or morality of an action, rather the bottom line repercu$$ion$ of the questionable activity.
It's about the money.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Sincerely,
Bubble
Bubblehead,

My statement was in response to a quote from dannyboy.

I don't believe we differ in opinion as to the why of the "open door" policy.

I agree with your statement 100%.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Usually and sometimes. Great words to use when talking about enforcing policy, dont you think?

The bottom line is that you think corporations have it covered to "protect themselves", where I see it as a serious issue of liability. We all know how issues are handled by calling the 24/7 operator service. And we know how retribution occurs when one does use that number. While I have seen cases where a dishonest employee is turned in via that route, it is more for show than a serious attempt to adhere to policy, or have integrity.

Integrity is like having morals, you either have it, or you dont. Only you can give it away, no one can take it from you. And if you dont have it, you wouldn't know it if you saw it.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Usually and sometimes. Great words to use when talking about enforcing policy, dont you think?

Not all large corporations have an open door policy and/or a 24/7 operator service.

As you and I know, UPS has both.

The bottom line is that you think corporations have it covered to "protect themselves", where I see it as a serious issue of liability. We all know how issues are handled by calling the 24/7 operator service. And we know how retribution occurs when one does use that number. While I have seen cases where a dishonest employee is turned in via that route, it is more for show than a serious attempt to adhere to policy, or have integrity. Correct me if I am wrong, but you and I seem to be in agreement here.

Integrity is like having morals, you either have it, or you dont. Only you can give it away, no one can take it from you. And if you dont have it, you wouldn't know it if you saw it. I don't think it is quite this simple. Life can be hard. People need to be cared for.

People can change and be changed!

Sincerely,
I

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
People can change and be changed!
Only if the desire is there to change. Currently the desire to have integrity is in a battle against short cuts, manipulation of numbers, the inability for lower managers to speak their minds to upper echelon, and the largest serious threat to that change, the making of money. Many times regardless of the cost.

So while I agree, people can change, and be changed, I dont see it any time in the future at UPS.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Only if the desire is there to change. Currently the desire to have integrity is in a battle against short cuts, manipulation of numbers, the inability for lower managers to speak their minds to upper echelon, and the largest serious threat to that change, the making of money. Many times regardless of the cost.

This is sad but true.

I have to agree with you, it is certainly the current culture at UPS.

So while I agree, people can change, and be changed, I dont see it any time in the future at UPS.

d
dannyboy,

I think you are probably in the majority feeling this way.

I still have hope.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think you are probably in the majority feeling this way.

I still have hope.

Integ, hanging your whole life on a false hope is........well, Im not going to rain on your day. Keep on hoping.

Myself, I have real dragons to slay, real customers to deal with, and an ever oppressing gooberment that is increasingly hostile to small businesses. Especially owned by a white man. I would wish that to also cease, but I am a realist, not a day dreamer.

Best of luck.

d