The UPS Policy Book with Integrity: Session 2: Preface Part 1

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integ, hanging your whole life on a false hope is........well, Im not going to rain on your day. Keep on hoping.

Myself, I have real dragons to slay, real customers to deal with, and an ever oppressing gooberment that is increasingly hostile to small businesses. Especially owned by a white man. I would wish that to also cease, but I am a realist, not a day dreamer.

Best of luck.

d
dannyboy,

To you also.

Sincerely,
I

pretzel_man

how about my cut more cars analogy,, i see it alot in my center, the operations team is told to cut said amount of cars,, sending out the remaining drivers heavy,, then getting reamed out on conference call the next day for to many over 9/5s

I don't know your specific case of course....

When they cut cars, what did the dispatch look like? I'm betting there was a lot of pocket dispatch, split routes, inefficient traces, etc.

I have seen the same problems, but the root cause is poor loop layout and poor dispatch. With a good dispatch, cars can certainly drop as stops drop.

If they fix the loop layout, fix the trace, fix the loads they can cut routes and not have lots of 9.5's.

Without getting the base right, of course there are problems. That is their job.

menotyou

bella amicizia

When they cut cars, what did the dispatch look like? I'm betting there was a lot of pocket dispatch, split routes, inefficient traces, etc.

I have seen the same problems, but the root cause is poor loop layout and poor dispatch. With a good dispatch, cars can certainly drop as stops drop.

If they fix the loop layout, fix the trace, fix the loads they can cut routes and not have lots of 9.5's.

Without getting the base right, of course there are problems. That is their job.

THEY don't understand that. We have had supervisors and managers who understood this, but they are gone. Current dispatcher is over his head, on-car is the former center manager and center manager(placed after current on-car was demoted) is too busy with the am oms. I don't think all management can be as bad as here. I just know here sucks. Time to get a new job. The fun police have come and ruined everything.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Good Mornin Pman. This statement sums up the problem with relooping that we have here, and I suspect in other areas as well. I truly believe that the intent to reloop properly existed.

But like building a house, unless the foundation is solid and level, how can the house ever be properly constructed? And in our center, as in others, the foundation of relooping was done on the fly, haphazardly, and at very best, a patchwork of swell intentions. But none of these hold up to the pressures when you put the rest of the building up.

So in essence, you (UPS) are going to the guys that do finish work, and telling them you expect them to square up, level out and otherwise compensate for the mistakes, not complain about it, and not take any more time that it would take to finish a properly constructed house. Not only that, but to do the next house the same way, and the next etc with no end in sight. To be sure, there are promises of "fixes", but when all the hoopla is done, nothing changes but the date on the calendar.

So, with the great respect I have for you, there are serious problems that were not addressed, have never been recognized, and continue to be glossed over by sups that are too busy covering their own behinds to pass that information up the line to those that might care. (if someone like that actually exists at UPS)

Best

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Good Mornin Pman. This statement sums up the problem with relooping that we have here, and I suspect in other areas as well. I truly believe that the intent to reloop properly existed.

But like building a house, unless the foundation is solid and level, how can the house ever be properly constructed? And in our center, as in others, the foundation of relooping was done on the fly, haphazardly, and at very best, a patchwork of swell intentions. But none of these hold up to the pressures when you put the rest of the building up.

So in essence, you (UPS) are going to the guys that do finish work, and telling them you expect them to square up, level out and otherwise compensate for the mistakes, not complain about it, and not take any more time that it would take to finish a properly constructed house. Not only that, but to do the next house the same way, and the next etc with no end in sight. To be sure, there are promises of "fixes", but when all the hoopla is done, nothing changes but the date on the calendar.

So, with the great respect I have for you, there are serious problems that were not addressed, have never been recognized, and continue to be glossed over by sups that are too busy covering their own behinds to pass that information up the line to those that might care. (if someone like that actually exists at UPS)

Best

d

Fantastic analogy d.
That is how it went down here as well.
They locked a supe in a room upstairs for months with the loop detail they bought from the post office without any input from the drivers.
Assuming we could service a route the way a mailman walks his day turned out to be ludicrous.
Lost in the process was the fact that the route in their pre-reloop form was a loop evolved over years, tailored to service for needs of the customers.
Instant gratification in the form of time, miles, and cars on road; soon gave way to lost business.
Wholesale loop change is a dangerous game not evident to people with laptops and spreadsheets.
You only need to be at the finished end product like driver to see the shortcomings.
Now my route, which is an A car, more resembles a base car with different splits added daily from adjacent loops in order to balance out the dispatches.
I don't think this is in line with "loop concept".
It continues to be my contention that UPS would rather treat symptoms than fix problems.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Bubbles, let me add this as well.

The finish guys also have to put up with the foreman telling you there is no problem, all these things are just a problem with you and your work attitude, and that if you just do as your told, everything will be fine.

The problem occurs when the potential home owners, who pay extra for services that we provide, come back to the finish guys and complain about sticking doors and windows, cracks in the sheet rock and the list goes on and on.

Then to top it all off, the crew that does the foundation work is praised for their work ethic, the speed in which they perform their functions, the millions they have saved the company, and as a result get pay increases and promotions.

The concept of a good foundation is valuable and right, if built correctly. But the focus was not on a good foundation that nobody sees, but the visible house that came after. And as any builder knows, the house is only as good as its foundation.

And then the construction company wonders why they cant sell those houses. Problem is there are other houses for sale, many at a better price and value.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had an excellent dispatcher. She was fired in the mess that got the current on-car(former center manager) demoted. Then they went to the post office idea.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

our current dispatcher is a ex on road,, part of the ever revolving door of operations that ,,especially in the last few years,, seems to come and go, he has no real idea about routes, none of the current on roads do, those days are long gone. the real fault lies with IE and corporate,, ie came in ,used 80's plat maps and assumed the tightest way to run a route,, they set up a faulty system,, then took off to set up the next building. ...