The Value of a Good Shop Steward

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Lord knows dispatchers can't manage to find the floor when they trip. Might as well go back to driver sort/load. That way my loop mates can't sit around in the office two hours before start time and whine to the dispatcher until he puts all their bad time allowance stops on my route so they can be home by 5 every day with an hour of bonus.
all the drivers in same loop should get together once a year and redesign routes according to area growth..instead they hire some guy who’s never even lived in the same state.
🧔✊

542thruNthru

Lord knows dispatchers can't manage to find the floor when they trip. Might as well go back to driver sort/load. That way my loop mates can't sit around in the office two hours before start time and whine to the dispatcher until he puts all their bad time allowance stops on my route so they can be home by 5 every day with an hour of bonus.
That's the extent of their management duties now.

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
you still couldn't manage yourself....or others.

Your union doesn't want us on the car cause you might have the big C...so no training, oh well.
The best thing a driver can do is manage themselves. Show up every day. No late air. No accidents. No customer concerns.
Be like a ghost. If every driver did that I wonder how different it would be then.

The best thing a driver can do is manage themselves. Show up every day. No late air. No accidents. No customer concerns.
Be like a ghost. If every driver did that I wonder how different it would be then.

I would love nothing more than when I retire, someone says, "Just a UPS Guy is retiring, today is his last day." And the puzzled managers ask, "Who?"

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I’m ready to be a stew. Been talking about it openly and it’s gaining momentum around my building.
Our current guy is FINE and all but he’s been described as a “paper stew,” he’s not there to fight mgmt he’s there simply to process.
I know it’s a big job but I think I’m built for it. Right is right, wrong is wrong, and somebodies gotta be the moral compass between UPS and my brothers. Also, I don’t mind a little passive aggressive confrontation whatsoever. Makes life more exciting
We’ll see! Someday soon I’m going for it

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I’m ready to be a stew. Been talking about it openly and it’s gaining momentum around my building.
Our current guy is FINE and all but he’s been described as a “paper stew,” he’s not there to fight mgmt he’s there simply to process.
I know it’s a big job but I think I’m built for it. Right is right, wrong is wrong, and somebodies gotta be the moral compass between UPS and my brothers. Also, I don’t mind a little passive aggressive confrontation whatsoever. Makes life more exciting
We’ll see! Someday soon I’m going for it
Do you have alternates or several stewards at once?

Do you have alternates or several stewards at once?
Nope, we have a FT stew that handles drivers and the 3 22.3’s we have and a PT stew that handles everybody else.
We usually put out 60ish routes on average but go as low as 40 and as high as 90. Our volume fluctuates like crazy. Were too small to be big but too big to be small

MyTripisCut

Nope, we have a FT stew that handles drivers and the 3 22.3’s we have and a PT stew that handles everybody else.
We usually put out 60ish routes on average but go as low as 40 and as high as 90. Our volume fluctuates like crazy. Were too small to be big but too big to be small
How long til current stew retires? We use alternates here so that when there is a transition the new stew already had their feet wet. Most of the time....

UPSER1987

Most drivers are too busy worrying and gossiping about other drivers for that to ever happen.

UPSER1987

all the drivers in same loop should get together once a year and redesign routes according to area growth..instead they hire some guy who’s never even lived in the same state.
🧔✊
...and guarantee all the apartments and late pickups will be left over and never dispatched lol

Last One In

Most drivers are too busy worrying and gossiping about other drivers for that to ever happen.
Is every UPS center exactly the same? Guy I work with comes in over an hour every morning just so he can talk about everyone: who called in, who is getting the day off, who had an accident the day before, who has a complaint, who in his loop has fewer stops, etc.

MyTripisCut

Is every UPS center exactly the same? Guy I work with comes in over an hour every morning just so he can talk about everyone: who called in, who is getting the day off, who had an accident the day before, who has a complaint, who in his loop has fewer stops, etc.
Guys like that, I’d like to back over them in my package car, get out and rip their eyebrows off, then go take my ten minute Union break.

How long til current stew retires? We use alternates here so that when there is a transition the new stew already had their feet wet. Most of the time....
He’s a couple years away but I’ve been told by other drivers that he’s not looking to stick around as stew after all the crap he’s put up with in the last year. That’s just what I hear from some trusted old driver buddies.
I think it was a lot easier to be stew in my building, when you got hooked up with 8-8.5 dispatches every day. So you had time to take care of some business after you finish route/before you leave the building. In the last year it’s changed so much and the grievances have multiplied. So he’s been out til 930 every night like the rest of us and has all this extra curricular crap to deal with. It’s a thankless job, but it’s great, purposeful, honest work, man. To be a steward for the Teamsters, I feel like to do that job correctly and fight for your fellow worker is an honorable lot in life. Not all stewards see it that way, I’m sure, but I’d be damn proud of it.
I have yet to have a man to man with him on the subject and my interest and Monday is probably a good day. Rather him hear it from me than someone else. Maybe he’ll help me, or at least let me know that I’m years away from getting a shot