The Value of a Good Shop Steward

quad decade guy

Mmm.... Ok.

What corruption is that ?

The continual rambling about how much you hate the Union ?

You don't like your Local. Think they are all fat slobs. I think everyone, get's it.

Complaining like a bitter divorced wife.... won't change things.

Do something.

-Bug-
Corruption....how about collusion? Like you admitting not supporting say Doorbell man.

Do you really want to go there?

And not to mention politics.......

Nor will acting like it isn't happening won't help things either.

Back at ya.

We have decisions that destroy peoples decades long lives, careers on and on. Huge swings(without any input or warning) just made at the local level and by local agreement. Many times, these decisions favoring folks in the local(like outgoing Presidents and such) for their advantage. Nepotism......racism(of all colors).

No? Absolutely.

And fat slobs? Well......pigs come in all sorts of colors and sizes..........

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
When I was elected steward, one of the main reasons was I was tired of the way management violated human rights and intimated the employees. The enforcement of the contract was important but the way the harassed employees was not right. There was times while in the office they would actually make the employee cry so I would stop the meeting and go outside to calm employee down then jump on management as soon as we returned. Our previous steward would just sit in the office and not say one word to defend the employee. It was not right to treat a person let alone employee like that.
Oh, that stuff happens here too. They prey only on those who are not equipped to defend themselves verbally. I see it with my own eyes. It’s like high school bullying all over again.
We get sh** thrown at us from the time we walk in the door, every single day. This job requires big picture perspective at all times. And that’s what I got to offer. These little battles over production, over allowed, spohr; they don’t ever go away.

Spanky250

What corruption is that ?

Are you really going to pretend there's no corruption or politics in the union leadership?

Let me tell you a story. About 15 years ago our (new at that time) center manager somehow managed to work it so that 4 drivers that were friends of his from his former center were able to transfer to our center, without losing their building seniority. These were high seniority drivers, and I lost my bid route because of this. So I filed a grievance, handed it directly to the BA (who was also a good friend of the manager). He glanced at it, handed it back to me, and said we're not going to touch this. Flabbergasted, I asked why, and he grinned and said I can't tell you, we're just not going to touch it, and walked away laughing.

Don't tell me there's no corruption.

Seymour Packages

Are you really going to pretend there's no corruption or politics in the union leadership?

Let me tell you a story. About 15 years ago our (new at that time) center manager somehow managed to work it so that 4 drivers that were friends of his from his former center were able to transfer to our center, without losing their building seniority. These were high seniority drivers, and I lost my bid route because of this. So I filed a grievance, handed it directly to the BA (who was also a good friend of the manager). He glanced at it, handed it back to me, and said we're not going to touch this. Flabbergasted, I asked why, and he grinned and said I can't tell you, we're just not going to touch it, and walked away laughing.

You should have pressed the issue. You would have won.

542thruNthru

And if this is true... Why did you not doing anything?

UPSER1987

Oh, that stuff happens here too. They prey only on those who are not equipped to defend themselves verbally. I see it with my own eyes. It’s like high school bullying all over again.
We get sh** thrown at us from the time we walk in the door, every single day. This job requires big picture perspective at all times. And that’s what I got to offer. These little battles over production, over allowed, spohr; they don’t ever go away.
Please don’t think that you are unique. Employees making 10 bucks an hour deal with the expectations of their employer. Everyone here thinks it’s unique to UPS when it’s not.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Please don’t think that you are unique. Employees making 10 bucks an hour deal with the expectations of their employer. Everyone here thinks it’s unique to UPS when it’s not.
It’s unfortunate that you don’t appreciate the teamsters union and it’s rich history. I certainly do, I certainly feel lucky to be a teamster with these awesome benefits, and grievance pay.
We are unique. Don’t fail yourself by devaluing your place in the union. Do you vote? You should vote.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It’s unfortunate that you don’t appreciate the teamsters union and it’s rich history. I certainly do, I certainly feel lucky to be a teamster with these awesome benefits, and grievance pay.
We are unique. Don’t fail yourself by devaluing your place in the union. Do you vote? You should vote.
He’s a stupidvisor. Don’t bother.

542thruNthru

Not complaining. Pointing out the obvious. I bet I do more than you. But have a good weekend kid.
That first part is debatable.

Though with that said, yes UPS does what it wants but that in no way means they get away with it. It might not be the immediate swift or devastating punishment you want but they do pay/suffer for it.

You're obviously upset with your local and we can't help that but in no way does your experience sum up the teamsters as a whole.

Integrity

Binge Poster
That first part is debatable.

Though with that said, yes UPS does what it wants but that in no way means they get away with it. It might not be the immediate swift or devastating punishment you want but they do pay/suffer for it.

You're obviously upset with your local and we can't help that but in no way does your experience sum up the teamsters as a whole.
I have nothing but respect for my Local Executive Board they are not perfect no one is.

They have communicated to me that the most significant challenge has been and is apathetic membership and lack of contract enforcement by the rank and file.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Because those 4 high seniority drivers likely transferred under a change of operations which means their seniority dovetailed at their new center. Which means there was nothing to grieve.
Bids to new centers maintain seniority in my building.