The Virus likely mutated in Italy, the same can and might happen here.

BrownArmy

Couple weeks.

Not saying we won’t have high numbers. We have 5x their population but our death rate is much lower than their and has been the whole time. It could tick up if the hospitals get overwhelmed.

Right now the biggest issue for our healthcare personnel is protective equipment. I spent $100 on respirator and filters at Sherwin Williams so that my wife will have protection at work.

In my opinion this is kind of war situation. Every factory in the USA that makes masks and other protective equipment should be running 24/7 and should have been for a month already at this point.

No idea why Trump won’t institute the Defense Production Act, like yesterday.

Overpaid Union Thug

upload_2020-3-23_17-14-27.jpeg

vantexan

As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.
Might actually be that the original, aggressive strain that hit China hard is now in Italy. There were direct flights between Wuhan and Italy, especially Milan, due to the garment industry. And China was trying to cover this up at the start. A Chinese university identified a milder strain that mutated from the initial strain. Might explain why the U.S. and Germany are experiencing less total deaths in spite of high numbers of new cases.

Last edited:

vantexan

Those little :censored2:ers eat healthy and live forever. Wouldn't be surprised if their immune systems are more resilient.
Saw today that Vitamin D deficiency might play a role in infection rates. People who are exposed to more sunlight create more Vitamin D naturally. A study in India showed that southern India, which is always sunny and hot, doesn't have a flu season, while northern India has a flu season every year when cloudier, colder winter weather sets in. Said as much as 40% of U.S. adults are Vitamin D deficient.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
He did but has been criticized for not using it unless there is a need. I take this to meaning he is hoping that businesses will take the initiative to do the right things without being ordered to.

we should know that won't work. this was created in 1950. What about WWII? Did FDR just use executive powers and order businesses to retool for war supplies?

ManInBrown

He did but has been criticized for not using it unless there is a need. I take this to meaning he is hoping that businesses will take the initiative to do the right things without being ordered to.

we should know that won't work. this was created in 1950. What about WWII? Did FDR just use executive powers and order businesses to retool for war supplies?
I think it’s unprecedented and kind of a point of no return if he does it. I think if it were that simple he would just do it. Might be a slippery slope to go down.

newfie

As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.
It's a virus not a bacteria?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I'm with you. On Friday I finally started reading the descriptions on Amazon packages. Toys, toys, toys, clothes, video games, furniture, the occasional grocery item and then once in awhile personal health item. It is disgusting what this company is doing and I'm 2 days away from turning in my badge just because I don't want to be associated with a company that is willing to act and show such blatant disregard for their employees and customers.
Good ... let us know so we can say goodbye.