The Western Conference and Local 177 H&W DISASTER!

LagunaBrown

Yes its in the green but not 100% funded. As people retire, there's a need to maintain raises going into the pension funds. A primary example of how bad it is when you suspend or slow pension contributions was when YRC members got kicked out of the pension fund. As more people retire the pension fund decreases.

The Central States Pension Fund was 76% funded when the last contract was ratified. Today its under 52% funded.

If the Western Conference Pension Fund is funded at 94% today, by the end of this contract it will be less than 85% funded due to the enormous amount of people that will be retiring in the next 5 years.

If this "carve-out" passes, the Western Conference Pension Fund will see the beginning of its fall. And unless anyone is looking to retire in the next 8 to 10 years, those who retire after will practically see the mess the Central States and Local 177 funds are experiencing.

It is simple mathematics not chemistry.

Amazing what people will promote simply to land a job at their respective locals.

Some people sell out for a penny, others for a buck and few for a million.

Are you an Economist? What makes you think you are a creditable source of information? I mean you are the person got that posted THIS thread and used the initial vote results for the second one. LOL!!!!! The information I got was at the source and from our leader Andy M. at the 952 meeting. You were not even there Edgar remember, you were too busy getting a TDU Paff-Smear.

LagunaBrown

Re: The Western Conference and Local 177 H&W DISASTER!

Since some internet sites are saying the "TDU staff" is trying to take claim for my notes so I am
posting this here and letting you know TDU sucks. Talk to your local officials that you voted
for because they are the true source of information.

Healthcare, GWI and Pension Breakdown

These are personal notes from the Health Care workshop at Local 952 on
10/19/13. They are intended as a guide for Irvine Center until official
information is distributed to members. Please ask your Stewards or Business
Agents questions on any issue so you are confident in your knowledge on the
details of the package.
This was the first meeting anywhere regarding the "Carve-Out" for the 11
Western States and Local 177 which will cover 32,000 Teamster Members in the
plan. It will be a seamless transition since most coverage is the same. All
official information other than local/Parking lot meetings are planned to be
mailed out with a Health Care 1-800 phone number, website, and Health Care
conference calls. Detailed material is slated to be given out to members before
the vote so they can be fully educated before casting their ballot.

This is a huge win in getting the Healthcare package in the S.W.P.R. and
having a direct vote on issues. The creation of the plan and it being
controlled by our own trustees in the West puts our future in our own hands.
Andy M says 99% of health care is basically the same only 2 items less
than UPS plan and they are:

1) Prescriptions - $5 dollars for generics or brand name if no generic is
equivalent and Free for mail in generics or brand name if no generic is
equivalent.

(No change for Kaiser)

2) Annual deductible - 100/200 annual deductible only In last year of contract
(last 7 months in the 5th year) and ONLY for MAJOR MEDICAL.

They also added to a 5 year benefit to coverage:

If you die your family is covered at no cost for 5 years (instead of 6 months
followed by 30 months COBRA) This is a major upgrade.

-10 dollar co-pay

- Same Providers - Blue Cross/Kaiser for a seamless transition into Taft
Hartley.

- Vision, Dental and Life insurance all the same. No cap on Dental.

-No monthly Premiums

- Dependent coverage intact

- Surviving Spouse coverage till 65 or remarried. This is for death and spousal
coverage for retired members. Medicare will take over at 65 for spouse and post
supplemental insurance can be purchased for 50/100.

- Golden 80 still intact

- Post 65 supplemental insurance 50/100

- Retiree Medical is an 80/20 Plan same as company and will ladder up.

January 1, 2014 -$50 Single/$100 Family
January 1, 2015 - $100 Single/$200 Family
January 1, 2016 - $150 Single/ $300 Family till end of contract. (2018)

- Total Compensation by end of contract: $37.03 dollars ($55.55 overtime)

GWI - $3.90 (70,70, 70, 40/40 split, 50/50 split)

H/W and pension - $5.00 ($1.00 a year)
Total combined per year
2013- $1.70
2014- $1.70
2015 - $1.70
2016 - $1.80
2017 - $2.00

Total compensation: $8.90 an hour by end of Contract. (That .30 cents less than
last contract where GWI was $4.20 and H/W was $5.00 totaling $9.20 by end of
contract.)

Pension increases: This is more than minimum wage going into your pension per hour and no better time to put money into to a start up health care plan.

2013 - .25 cents to $9.85 an hour (.75 cents to H/W) so $9.85 x 2080 = $20,488 a year pension contributions
2014 - 0 cents - same $9.85 (1.00 to H/W) so $9.85 x 2080 = $20,488 a year in pension contributions
2015 - 0 cents - same $9.85 (1.00 to H/W) so $9.85 x 2080 = $20,488 a year in pension contributions
2016 - .50 cents to - $10.35 (.50 to H/W) so $10.35 x 2080 = $21,528 a year in pension contributions
2017 - .50 cents to - $10. 85 (. 50 to H/W) so $10.85 x 2080 = $22,568 a year in pension contributions

For a total of $105,560 per full timer into the plan for the new proposal.

*Any pension contribution may be diverted to Health Care if needed as in any Taft Hartley This does NOT mean it will.

.05 cents from Legal Trust to H/C each year (over funded)

So a $3.90 cent raise to $37.03 ($55.55 0vertime)
Pension contributions in a secure and 90% funded plan to the tune of $105,560 per full timer (5 years of contract).
and a platinum
90/10 heath coverage that is 99% the same.

How is this a "Bad" contract? I mean maybe if you are rich you can say it is ok.... but to call it bad or a disaster? Really?

Last edited:

rpoz11

"Dependent Coverage Intact"

With laws changing Nationally, with regards to Health Care for children up to 26 years of age, how does this plan address this?

At least with TeamCare, the affected members would know what they were getting and would also enjoy the financial strength of being in a H&W fund with hundreds of thousands of other participants. One of the major knocks members had with TeamCare were potential GWI diversions to H&W in case the plan became underfunded.. which is still going to be the case in any Taft-Hartley plan with CBAs that contain a wage diversion caveat.

What's the alternative? The members in 177 and the Western Conference didn't want TeamCare and instead opted for a carve out. Now, the carve out seems less financially secure and I don't really understand how it can offer comparable/better benefits than the C6 enhanced plan. H&W and pension plans always do better when they have a large pool spanning a diverse array of industries.
Hey they didn't want team care so they can have that other plan. The grass will be greener over there.

LagunaBrown

"Dependent Coverage Intact"

With laws changing Nationally, with regards to Health Care for children up to 26 years of age, how does this plan address this?

Good question but this is just an update (I will not pretend to have all the answers like TOS). That is why they will be releasing a mail-out with a 1-800 number and website soon. It was very clear in the meeting they want everyone to be fully educated and informed. I just want to be fair.... The name on this thread is obviously trying to make the plan look bad when it is not. That is why they didn't post the actual pension contributions that is $105,000 by end of the contract. Every contract there is an issue that gets attention, last few were pension (and we did fatten up) this one is health care and at some point it will be wages. We negotiate and move the contribution money that UPS provides us around depending on our needs and next contract will be no different.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, what I'm reading is: better heath coverage = less going into the pension. Not so good if underfunded as 177's is. A vote is planned that would put some of the wage increase towards the pension.

This sounds to me like, "here is your pie, slice it up as you see fit".

LagunaBrown

So, what I'm reading is: better heath coverage = less going into the pension. Not so good if underfunded as 177's is. A vote is planned that would put some of the wage increase towards the pension.

The whole less going into pension thing is B.S.........How much did you make last year? If you make $100,000 your pension contribution is $20,000+ each year will be 20% of your earnings. How much do you want going in? Most people dont even know we here in the west bumped our pension from $4.10 in 2002 to $9.60 an hour in 2013........ That is over minimum wage and going up to 10.85 an hour by end of contract. I cant speak for local 177 because we are not underfunded in fact out here in the west we have one of the best pension plans around and gonna keep a great health plan too. People need to read the contract instead of just hearing how money was diverted from the last one.

I would wait until the ballots come in the mail. The BA's said the info would be out online before then. If not, they are well aware if they can't deliver. They will lose the local negotiations to NNC. I don't think they will put a second vote if they couldn't deliver.

Last edited:
The whole less going into pension thing is B.S.........How much did you make last year? If you make $100,000 your pension contribution is $20,000+ each year will be 20% of your earnings. How much do you want going in? Most people dont even know we here in the west bumped our pension from $4.10 in 2002 to $9.60 an hour in 2013........ That is over minimum wage and going up to 10.85 an hour by end of contract. I cant speak for local 177 because we are not underfunded in fact out here in the west we have one of the best pension plans around and gonna keep a great health plan too. People need to read the contract instead of just hearing how money was diverted from the last one.
We are getting the same as you guys are. Also we are in a pension rehab program. Our local has been getting 30 cents on the hour in a forty hour week to pay for the program. Plus the 20cent buffer incase this goes south. The extra contributions will get us out of the rehab program in four years. On the fifth year if we get out of the rehab we will get another pension bump ($100 to $150). So I can't see how this is going to be bad.

LagunaBrown

Wow it's quit in this thread. Where are all the vote no guys? The West is doing fine! I been watching their site and most don't even know what is up with the different regions. They think TDU speaks nationwide.... Learn

LagunaBrown

Lol.... I can't believe people are so dumb to back a "No Vote" and they don't know what a peer 80 is!