There is no Top-Out Anymore

vantexan

If you started over, you should definitely get a clean slate, OR maybe they should reinstate your seniority and pay you like everyone else. Oh, can't do that. And yes, the whole pay structure is designed for maximum profit for FedEx and minimum payout to employees. Think of the millions Fred has saved with this deal, which is utterly indefensible. It's by design, as in intentional, planned and fully intended. You are supposed to get "dinged" for every little thing you do wrong so they can pay you less and then blame you for not making enough of an effort.

Yeah, it's about keeping the upper hand but I'm at the point where I just snort and shake my head. If being 49 and having seen it all has a perk it's that my mgrs give me a wide berth anymore. They know I'm going to do my job but am close to chucking it if they push me so they don't. Just doing my time now, there's not much to work for anymore.

LTFedExer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am exactly one minute late during an entire year, I cannot be a "7". Correct? The entire system is set-up to ding you for minor errors that wouldn't even be an issue at 99% of the other employers out there.
Numbers are set. you hit those numbers, you're a 7. You don't hit those number, you're not. How hard is that to understand? You don't like it, McDonald's is hiring.
I can tell you right now in 9 going on ten years I have never gotten higher than a 6.4 and I am a model employee in every dept except attendance. Usually have to call out between 8-10 days a year because I get the cold or flu often each winter. So the scoring is definitely tilted towards attendance being a big factor because they know people will miss work. Things happen. You get sick. And let me repeat I am a model employee in all other areas. Never had a single on road issue or anything else. I fly totally under the radar. I'm not going to sugarcoat the fact that I am disgruntled for a variety of reasons but I am always professional when dealing with customers and doing the job the correct way. I take 0 shortcuts.
Attendance is just as, if not more, important than any other category. Have you ever seen what the managers have to go through when someone calls in?

FedEx2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am exactly one minute late during an entire year, I cannot be a "7". Correct? The entire system is set-up to ding you for minor errors that wouldn't even be an issue at 99% of the other employers out there.

I'll gladly tell you that you are wrong. If you had just that one late, and have since had at least 6 months of no lates, you are awarded a bonus point which bumps you back up to a 7.0, same goes for attendance. Also, 99% of other employers don't run a business based on delivering a product/shipment by a specific time every day all around the world either.

FedEx2000

I can tell you right now in 9 going on ten years I have never gotten higher than a 6.4 and I am a model employee in every dept except attendance. Usually have to call out between 8-10 days a year because I get the cold or flu often each winter. So the scoring is definitely tilted towards attendance being a big factor because they know people will miss work. Things happen. You get sick. And let me repeat I am a model employee in all other areas. Never had a single on road issue or anything else. I fly totally under the radar. I'm not going to sugarcoat the fact that I am disgruntled for a variety of reasons but I am always professional when dealing with customers and doing the job the correct way. I take 0 shortcuts.

I'll take your word that you are a model employee. The main reason, in my opinion, that attendance/punctuality is a big issue here is b/c of what we do and the fact that your work can't just sit until the next day. This isn't some desk job where you can turn in your TPS report tomorrow. I'll refer to another thread here, not sure of the thread title, where MFE complains that employees are at the mercy of FedEx and the last minute changes that mgrs make....this is a perfect example of how this is out of our control much of the time. Someone has to cover the route, so yeah we need to move people around or ask a PTer if they can help out. (Or force/intimidate them to do it if you are at MFE's station) I understand that people get sick, but to me 8-10 days seems a little excessive....get a flu shot, eat better, exercise more....I don't know, but if it's that much every year I would be trying something different if I were you.

northeast swing driver

I'll take your word that you are a model employee. The main reason, in my opinion, that attendance/punctuality is a big issue here is b/c of what we do and the fact that your work can't just sit until the next day. This isn't some desk job where you can turn in your TPS report tomorrow. I'll refer to another thread here, not sure of the thread title, where MFE complains that employees are at the mercy of FedEx and the last minute changes that mgrs make....this is a perfect example of how this is out of our control much of the time. Someone has to cover the route, so yeah we need to move people around or ask a PTer if they can help out. (Or force/intimidate them to do it if you are at MFE's station) I understand that people get sick, but to me 8-10 days seems a little excessive....get a flu shot, eat better, exercise more....I don't know, but if it's that much every year I would be trying something different if I were you.
Thanks for the advice Dr. One thing I am not doing is coming to work when I am sick. As you say you are a manager and unlike you when the sort is over and AM employees go on the road you go in you're little cubicle and put you're feet up and twittle you're thumbs. I have to go and work outside in sometimes brutal weather conditions and I am not going to do that when I'm sick. Plain and simple.

northeast swing driver

Numbers are set. you hit those numbers, you're a 7. You don't hit those number, you're not. How hard is that to understand? You don't like it, McDonald's is hiring.

Attendance is just as, if not more, important than any other category. Have you ever seen what the managers have to go through when someone calls in?
Yes. I have seen it. I am the most route knowledgable swing in my station. I'm the guy that has to bend over when a person bangs out ten minutes before the sort starts. So I am well aware

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'll gladly tell you that you are wrong. If you had just that one late, and have since had at least 6 months of no lates, you are awarded a bonus point which bumps you back up to a 7.0, same goes for attendance. Also, 99% of other employers don't run a business based on delivering a product/shipment by a specific time every day all around the world either.

OK, then I'm wrong. So, if I have 2 lates, I miss my bonus point, and I'm still not a "7". That's not much of a difference. 99% of other employers also have time sensitive issues, whether it be escrow papers, concrete delivery, or anything else that is "time-sensitive".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Funny, that's the same line a famous District Director used when someone asked about pay. "McDonald's is hiring". A totally dismissive response to a legitimate question. Your justification for FedEx policy is that "numbers are set", which is an incredibly brilliant comeback. But what if those "numbers" are either ridiculous, unreasonable, or both? It's the same old story, which is "like it or leave".

These days, a lot of us are not "liking it", so instead of telling us to go work in the fast food industry, why not consider updating stupid and outdated policies? I know that's beyond your level of reasoning, but maybe others on this site can understand the concept.

FedEx2000

Thanks for the advice Dr. One thing I am not doing is coming to work when I am sick. As you say you are a manager and unlike you when the sort is over and AM employees go on the road you go in you're little cubicle and put you're feet up and twittle you're thumbs. I have to go and work outside in sometimes brutal weather conditions and I am not going to do that when I'm sick. Plain and simple.

Ha, I guarantee that I am at my desk less than any manager you have ever worked for. You don't want to work when you have a little sniffle? Fine, but you know the expectations, so don't complain about it when review time comes.

FedEx2000

OK, then I'm wrong. So, if I have 2 lates, I miss my bonus point, and I'm still not a "7". That's not much of a difference. 99% of other employers also have time sensitive issues, whether it be escrow papers, concrete delivery, or anything else that is "time-sensitive".

Hey, there's a first time for everything....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, there's a first time for everything....

Here's another one for you. My station, like many others, was outgrown 10 years ago, yet FedEx stays there and does about half of the sort with vehicles that are outside. There isn't enough parking for everyone, so we get to compete with neighboring businesses for street parking, which can be over a quarter mile away. It isn't a problem if you're an early starter like a shuttle driver or FO courier, but everyone else is hosed, except for management, because they have assigned parking. Nearly every station in my district has a similar problem. Most of what used to be parking is now filled with W700's and Sprinters.

So, our facility has inadequate parking, which guarantees a lot of people who have problems getting in on-time. And there's no driving-up, dashing into the building to punch the clock, and then trying to find parking. That gets you a letter. If there's an event at the nearby sports venue, there isn't any parking at all. Think FedEx has any mercy on employees or any wiggle room on punching-in late? No way. Ding, Ding, Ding.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My station is about to be in a similar predicament. Even though it is one of the largest, physically and numbers wise, we are about to combine with another station. There are rumors that several stations in Texas are about to do the same thing.

All this says to me is, parking is going to be a wooly-booger.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My station is about to be in a similar predicament. Even though it is one of the largest, physically and numbers wise, we are about to combine with another station. There are rumors that several stations in Texas are about to do the same thing.

All this says to me is, parking is going to be a wooly-booger.

Yep. Just another opportunity for management to issue OLCC's and letters for a situation that the company created. As usual, I'd expect any inconvenience to be placed squarely on the employee. My station probably has room for 45-50 cars, and we have over 75 employees. If we could park all of the vehicles inside the station where they belong, there wouldn't be a problem.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I understand that people get sick, but to me 8-10 days seems a little excessive....get a flu shot, eat better, exercise more....I don't know, but if it's that much every year I would be trying something different if I were you.

Thanks doc.

Does Fred award you managers a degree in medicine? Afterall you have made the diagnosis so it seems.

LTFedExer

Funny, that's the same line a famous District Director used when someone asked about pay. "McDonald's is hiring". A totally dismissive response to a legitimate question. Your justification for FedEx policy is that "numbers are set", which is an incredibly brilliant comeback. But what if those "numbers" are either ridiculous, unreasonable, or both? It's the same old story, which is "like it or leave".

These days, a lot of us are not "liking it", so instead of telling us to go work in the fast food industry, why not consider updating stupid and outdated policies? I know that's beyond your level of reasoning, but maybe others on this site can understand the concept.
I hope you don't think I was serious about the McD's line. But, you always have the option to go work somewhere else. It may sound like the same line over and over. But, if I didn't like where I worked, I would go somewhere else.

As for the numbers being ridiculous or unreasonable. Some workers will always think their ridiculous. But, is it hard to have a 99.7% VAN compliance or 99.4% POD compliance? The numbers might be off slightly, but you get the idea. Attendance is the same. So name a few of the policies that you think should be changed.

vantexan

As for the numbers being ridiculous or unreasonable. Some workers will always think their ridiculous. But, is it hard to have a 99.7% VAN compliance or 99.4% POD compliance? The numbers might be off slightly, but you get the idea. Attendance is the same. So name a few of the policies that you think should be changed.

I've done bulk rts with hundreds of pkgs, I've done extended rts with a few dozen pkgs. Which do you think are easiest to have VAN compliance on? And yet I've actually heard mgrs say that the number of pkgs don't matter, that some people are going to miss vans no matter how many pkgs they have. Had a rt last year that I typically vanned 110-150. This was after being in cans until end of sort and usually last one out door and running like maniac to make 1030's. Mgr was making me do that plus SO so heavy couldn't get lunch most days until 1700 plus required to work reload and park trucks. Mgr's way of getting even for filing GFT against him. So for anyone saying mgr can't affect your job or review score you just haven't worked for some mgrs. Much easier rt now but had to fight him by going to HR to get it. Still in container though, about 2 years out of 2 years, 3.5 months.

CharleyHustle

To me, this begs the question that many of the FedEx employees are asking here. If the job is so important and vital that the worker is difficult to replace, why doesn't FedEx pay them more? If it is not that difficult and vital, why aren't replacements trained and ready to go when employees do (and surely all do eventualy) call in?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To me, this begs the question that many of the FedEx employees are asking here. If the job is so important and vital that the worker is difficult to replace, why doesn't FedEx pay them more? If it is not that difficult and vital, why aren't replacements trained and ready to go when employees do (and surely all do eventualy) call in?

Answer to both questions, Fred's too cheap.

FedEx2000

Thanks doc.

Does Fred award you managers a degree in medicine? Afterall you have made the diagnosis so it seems.

Hey, I wasn't trying to be a smart* ..... just saying that maybe he should try something different b/c the status quo doesn't seem to be cutting it. You have a better suggestion?

FedEx2000

Yep. Just another opportunity for management to issue OLCC's and letters for a situation that the company created. As usual, I'd expect any inconvenience to be placed squarely on the employee. My station probably has room for 45-50 cars, and we have over 75 employees. If we could park all of the vehicles inside the station where they belong, there wouldn't be a problem.

Do you honestly think the motivation behind lack of parking/combining station is so that more OLCC's can be issued...come on. Are all 75 employees always there at the same time.....or is that the total for AM/PM/Handlers etc? If so, yes it's unfortunate......but not much different than any company located in a downtown metro area where employees have to find their own parking on the street. The parking at my current station is far from ideal, but you make do. I mean I have to park my extremely expensive new car next to all the crappy old courier cars, I don't even have covered parking! (That was a joke, so chill!)
Also, if your station is overflowing with trucks so much that there is no room for employees to park, can you send a few my way?