They want yer feeder jobs!!!

moldsporh

In what world would that not throw up a red flag?

A car on the shoulder means the computer will either move over or greatly reduce their speed.

Feeders should be pretty easy to replace. Package car will be harder.

It's going to be interesting because you are talking a lot of jobs!!!!

Think about it, there are situations that arise everyday, all day that require an IQ factor, reasoning, robots are pre programmed and while may be able to maintain a safe following distance, I won't trust one to operate a set of doubles around me.

Also, this whole robotic world is getting a bit out of hand. I know there will be robots here and there, but when you take the working public out of the equation, how do you put back into the economy and be able to live without income?

I'm fully aware of lower operating costs, but you need a functioning economy and wit robots everywhere taking jobs away, what do you think will happen?

Oh, we were also going to have hoverboards, self tightening clothes, flying cars, and nuclear reactors in cars around this time 30 years ago right?

I don't know about you, but I'm on the side of keeping and creating jobs for humans, I would surely hope there would be stiff opposition for creating automated drivers to take away people's income.

Faceplanted

Think about it, there are situations that arise everyday, all day that require an IQ factor, reasoning, robots are pre programmed and while may be able to maintain a safe following distance, I won't trust one to operate a set of doubles around me.

Also, this whole robotic world is getting a bit out of hand. I know there will be robots here and there, but when you take the working public out of the equation, how do you put back into the economy and be able to live without income?

I'm fully aware of lower operating costs, but you need a functioning economy and wit robots everywhere taking jobs away, what do you think will happen?

Oh, we were also going to have hoverboards, self tightening clothes, flying cars, and nuclear reactors in cars around this time 30 years ago right?

I don't know about you, but I'm on the side of keeping and creating jobs for humans, I would surely hope there would be stiff opposition for creating automated drivers to take away people's income.
There was a theory in the 60s and 70s that thanks to technology the 40 hour work week would be a thing of the past, people would work 10-20 to live.

Instead, corporations want more and more, keep us working more than 40 hours and like you said, the jobs are disappearing thanks to huge advances in productivity from automation.

We really are doomed, That's the sad truth.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I don't disagree with you but at no point in history have we slowed down technological advances to keep human jobs.

That's why kids are learning to write code in grade school now.

moldsporh

We are advancing technology yes, but these were the thoughts in the 80's.

We're not doomed, this isn't Terminator, you have to face reality. Do you think we're going to have everyone stand around looking at robots work everywhere with no jobs and no income?

Faceplanted

We're not doomed, this isn't Terminator, you have to face reality. Do you think we're going to have everyone stand around looking at robots work everywhere with no jobs and no income?
We are doomed. There will not be enough jobs to go around and a majority of the population will depend on hand outs. Look at what's happened in the past 20 years, it's only going to get worse

As for people saying future jobs will be in robotics, think about this...

20 robots can replace 20 people. We are going to need sown body to fix them right? 1 low level tech (geek squad type) will be able to handle the 20 robots. 19 jobs gone

Mit has already developed code that can trouble shoot/predict problems and re write or write new code all on its own. So this whole idea of all these new tech jobs/coding jobs is garbage. We will not even be close to replace jobs 1:1, I think in reality for every 10 jobs gone it might make 1 new tech job. Think outside the box guys.

Moores law will prevail.

The welfare state will prevail

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We are doomed. There will not be enough jobs to go around and a majority of the population will depend on hand outs. Look at what's happened in the past 20 years, it's only going to get worse

As for people saying future jobs will be in robotics, think about this...

20 robots can replace 20 people. We are going to need sown body to fix them right? 1 low level tech (geek squad type) will be able to handle the 20 robots. 19 jobs gone

Mit has already developed code that can trouble shoot/predict problems and re write or write new code all on its own. So this whole idea of all these new tech jobs/coding jobs is garbage. We will not even be close to replace jobs 1:1, I think in reality for every 10 jobs gone it might make 1 new tech job. Think outside the box guys.

Moores law will prevail.

The welfare state will prevail
Are you a doomsday prepper?

Faceplanted

Are you a doomsday prepper?
No. I have guns and lots of ammo, maybe 10 cans of chunky soup, and a few cans of tuna. If I need anything else.... Thus the guns and ammo

Just stating the obvious from a different perspective about technology an robotics.

Wendy's already announced a plan to install kiosks in most of its resturaints to order. More people will be depending on the gov to survive, it will get rid of tons of 10 dollar and an hour job, and it will make a small Handful of 13 dollar an hour entry level tech jobs.

Brownslave688

You're talking about a movie from the 80's.

Technology has a way of inventing things we never dreamed of like the iPod and iPhone. It also has a way of showing us some things (a Hover board) are much harder than we thought.

moldsporh

I'm also somewhat of a realist.

Ok, let's replace all the workers with robots.

Who's going to buy the products? People without jobs?

Technology will make the job easier.

Brownslave688

I'm also somewhat of a realist.

Ok, let's replace all the workers with robots.

Who's going to buy the products? People without jobs?

Technology will make the job easier.
People have to find new jobs. Same thing that's happened for the last 150 years or more.

Brownslave688

Sorry won't be possible, no jobs... they'll be operated by robots.

Better start storing the Chunky soup and stuffing your mattress.
There will still be plenty of tech and maintenance jobs for those robots.

Like I said its what I'm most interested in going forward. At no point in our past have job losses deterred us from moving forward.

You're the only one talking doomsday here.

Bottom rung

3.5 million professional truck drivers in the United States. Autonomous commercial rigs? Who's taking the fall for eventually putting millions out of work? Put me down as doubtful. I'm sure there will be a few driving around, but I don't see this happening all across the country.

Faceplanted

3.5 million professional truck drivers in the United States. Autonomous commercial rigs? Who's taking the fall for eventually putting millions out of work? Put me down as doubtful. I'm sure there will be a few driving around, but I don't see this happening all across the country.
This will be done over a generation. They won't fire or lay people off, instead they won't hire any new drivers while the transition happens.

They have automated dump trucks that work in mines. due to most of the drivers being union, as they have been retiring their jobs have been now going to automated dump trucks instead of hiring new drivers.

Everybody seems to think these millions of potential future truck drivers who don't have empty positions will have new tech jobs, the reality is they will be receiving government checks and not having a job. Look at the percentage of people on assistance, there is a trend that is easy to see.

Brownslave688

Name me one time in the history of the world that technology had cared about putting someone out of work?

Factories that once had hundreds of employees are now ran by 20. One door closes another door opens.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
If robots can drive a truck then they will have the ability and intelligence to do ANY job including doctors, lawyers, and even robot maintenance and tech.

Every industry and every single job you can name would have the ability to be replaced by AI.

It won't be a few industries of people out of work, it will be every industry. Once you perfect AI to comprehend and do critical thinking and problem solving, the human element won't be needed or required on any level.