They want yer feeder jobs!!!

budlight

hey friend* face
So you're gonna rob people that have food and water Faceplanted? Cuz guess what, those people have guns and ammo too...

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Lots of economic experts are predicting the collapse of the auto insurance industry within the next 20 years as automation increases and accidents decrease.
Insurance will always be needed no matter how automated and "safe" it becomes.

I don't see it collapsing but I do see them having issues with policies for driverless vehicles.

Google is actually having issues because apparently you can hack an automated car and mess with its sensors and responses to situations.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There will still be plenty of tech and maintenance jobs for those robots.

Like I said its what I'm most interested in going forward. At no point in our past have job losses deterred us from moving forward.

You're the only one talking doomsday here.

Nope. They will have robots performing maintanance, repairs and building new robots.

Didn't Wendy's just announce that they are going to be installing kiosks for ordering, getting rid of counter personnel. Soon they will be having robots cook your food and cleaning the store. You will walk into a fast food joint and not see one live worker.

If they continue to go down this path, robots can replace just about every job in the country. There will be no jobs left for anyone.

Eliminate

Fast food workers
Cashiers
Delivery drivers
Repair technicians
Tellers. Oh, that's right. They're pretty much gone right now.
Pilots
Constuction workers

The point is, 99% of the jobs "can" be replaced by robots as the technology gets better in the near future. Are we going to let that happen?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Somewhere we went from 20 years into the future to 200 lol

200? We already have robots replacing us. Look at tool shops and the auto industry. Hard to find a bank with a live teller. Grocery stores with self checkouts. Fast food joints with self ordering kiosks. Catalog companies with robots filling orders. Automatic lettuce pickers.

Bottom line, one day, we, or our grandkids, can all be replaced by robots. and at the rate we're going, it is far, far less than 200 years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
200? We already have robots replacing us. Look at tool shops and the auto industry. Hard to find a bank with a live teller. Grocery stores with self checkouts. Fast food joints with self ordering kiosks. Catalog companies with robots filling orders. Automatic lettuce pickers.

Bottom line, one day, we, or our grandkids, can all be replaced by robots. and at the rate we're going, it is far, far less than 200 years.
You're talking about robots doing maintenance and repair on each other. That's a ways away.

But I do agree it's a reality my grandkids will almost certainly face.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You guys all realize, don't you, that those autonomous, self-driving trucks use cameras to look for lane markings. Until every major road has clear and distinct lines, they are not feasible.

Throw in rain, fog and snow, and trucks will be parking themselves everywhere.

Brownslave688

You guys all realize, don't you, that those autonomous, self-driving trucks use cameras to look for lane markings. Until every major road has clear and distinct lines, they are not feasible.

As soon as they have these they will start laying microchips in the lane paint. Easy peasy.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

The automatic cruise control and collision braking already doesn't work in the snow. It sucks big time because when it fails it completely disables the cruise control all together

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Oh god here we go again.

Self driving cars exist now.

It's all about public acceptance.

Yeah. They do exist. But until they all can communicate with each other (in the same language) they will be little more than a novelty.

Did you ever drive a car with adaptive cruise control? It's scary, even if you trust the computer, and that's just the bottom of the autonomous controls.

Yeah. They do exist. But until they all can communicate with each other (in the same language) they will be little more than a novelty.

Did you ever drive a car with adaptive cruise control? It's scary, even if you trust the computer, and that's just the bottom of the autonomous controls.
Ask him about his cruise control...

Brownslave688

Like I said all about acceptance but the head of motor safety has already said his goal is for his son to never drive a car. His son is 14.

I don't know if 2018 is realistic but there will be some self driving cars for sale by 2020 is my guess.