This is our Part-Timers plan to action:

Moneythehardway

1. We get out and vote, it's all electronic now so it should be way quicker and easier to vote even in your pj's

2. If this gets voted through and you really wanted a no vote, remove yourself from paying union dues if you are in a state in which you are allowed to do so. This way, one way or the other we will get our voices heard and we are taking action and they, the leadership and all who look over part-timers for their own benefits will feel us.

Thats how you take action .

1. We get out and vote, it's all electronic now so it should be way quicker and easier to vote even in your pj's

2. If this gets voted through and you really wanted a no vote, remove yourself from paying union dues if you are in a state in which you are allowed to do so. This way, one way or the other we will get our voices heard and we are taking action and they, the leadership and all who look over part-timers for their own benefits will feel us.

And if you wanted a yes vote and the contract is turned down you should quit the Union in protest?

Nimnim

The Nim
And if you wanted a yes vote and the contract is turned down you should quit the Union in protest?
I see your point, but it's not quite the same. If you vote no and it gets passed and you can remove yourself from the union that's where it ends. If you vote yes and it gets voted down removing yourself then keeps you from being able to vote on the next proposal you will be influenced by.

I'm not going to tell people that resigning from the union is the right or wrong course of action, but it's foolish for anyone who would want to support that action before the language is passed.

If you're dead set on leaving the union because of the vote on the contract it's gotta be the final vote you make that choice on else you're more of a fool than someone who you think is a fool for voting the opposite of you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

If you want to get your voices heard....show up to your monthly craft meetings. Show up to the contract proposal meetings. Your way just removes your ability to have voice in what goes on with your job in the future

Observer

If the union cared about part timers other than for the dues money - there would be a bigger turnout come contract time. Too many part timers are not provided any information even where the union hall is. Ever go to church where you're visiting? Five people come up to you to welcome you and see if you will join. Too many people don't care as all they see is their dues being taken out and when you talk to a steward in a large hub you have to fight your own battle while the steward doesn't interject anything into the conversation.

542thruNthru

BcI7.gif

No One on hwy9

And there is the rub. I'm taking your ball and going home. I think I'm beginning to see why younger generation angers the elder. I'm glad I don't know any freeloading teet-sucking scabs.

bowhnterdon

He is not wrong. You would have a hard time convincing a part time employee who is making minimum wage to pay dues.
That is the reason I stopped doing the new hire orientation. I am asking you to pay the Union for providing near minimum wage pay. Oh, and the working conditions (you guys have a Union and Ups won’t even turn on the heat?) I couldn’t make myself do it anymore...

Moneythehardway

My thing is, we've been getting sold down the river for decades , just the stays quo. You say vote to get what we want? Well the things we want should already be negotiated in the contract and not have to get voted down to have it included right?

If the union negotiated for us a catch up raise and a 15 minimum wage then that would mean whether we voted or not it would already be there for us. But we have to vote down concessions that shouldn't be there to begin with to get what we want.

Time for change

It’s a tough call and I understand either way. Very frustrating for existing part timers that vote and nothing changes. Luckily this contract is going down so we will get another chance to see if they can get this right for us. Either way I have absolutely zero doubt the part time vote turnout will be much higher than usual.

Heavy Package

If the union negotiated for us a catch up raise and a 15 minimum wage then that would mean whether we voted or not it would already be there for us. But we have to vote down concessions that shouldn't be there to begin with to get what we want.

We Full Timers need this turd contract voted down to get what we want, as well. We are in this together.

Tony Q

What’s horrifying is the local 344 in Wisconsin and local 89 stand to lose a lot of members because of right to work. We are going to see members leaving in droves in Kentucky. There will definitely be less union representation in these two states.

brown_trousers

I dont think it will have the impact you think it will. When you opt out of the union, your union dues will go away, but then you will be charged an "agency fee". Either way, the teamsters are getting their money