This place is an effing circus.

S

splozi

I'm sure all of you know this already.

So, it's 8:50AM. I've got a 100-piece bulk stop that was not going to fit on one of the trucks, piled up on both sides of my slide (typical Tuesday). Another bulk stop for another truck piled up next to it. I'm trying to finish bulking out this last truck, a 1300 I think. My driver is bitching (not at me) because he has to get the hell out of there. He's got about 20 or so NDA stops. To add to it, a safety auditor approaches me and attempts to interview. The preload manager quickly shoos him away, and I proceed. Now there is some other manager standing around getting in the way. After a couple of minutes, this manager (whoever he is) advises me to leave. He says (in his own words) that the driver, other drivers, and/or sups will finish the truck. My driver tells him that there are hourlies who can finish the work. Of course, nobody cares. So I leave. I'm not particularly eager to stick around for this nonsense.

This could have been prevented if they had brought me another truck for that 100-piece bulk stop (which they typically do). Space is a necessity. I need room to sort out whatever I can't load until the end. Without that space, it takes me far too long to sort out the order of things that will be center loaded. It also could have been prevented if they took a specific stop off of that 1300 on days when it exceeded a certain piece count.

After so many years that UPS has been in business, how is it possible to not figure this out? This efficiency garbage is absolute nonsense. There is no efficiency. Why do my forecast sheets show 6 pieces for a specific stop when I actually end up with 30? It just doesn't make sense to me. Do they really not know what's coming before it comes? Computers do all of this work for you... friggin' use them.

In the end, I don't really care. It just baffles me.

Jigawatts

Haha, sounds like my day. Had over 40 NDA's for one stop, plus about 30-40 more ground for said stop. I also have another bulk stop that generally gets around 100 pieces a day. My driver had to load the NDA's for the one stop, deliver them, come back for the rest of the ground and finish loading (by himself) and delivering the other bulk stop, which I'm sure he was late for. Could have been avoided by giving the 40 NDA's along with the rest of the ground for that stop to an air driver. I'm not sure why management didn't recognize that nearly 175 pieces for just two stops among many others in one package car would not fit or get loaded out in the allotted time.

Oh, and for my second package car I had to pull a last minute split (no one to run the cart so I had to do it) while the driver received another spit.

My third car was pretty much loaded out so the driver finished it off while I ignored him. I can tell he wasn't too happy but he can bugger off.

I'll I can do is laugh.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
IAfter a couple of minutes, this manager (whoever he is) advises me to leave. He says (in his own words) that the driver, other drivers, and/or sups will finish the truck. My driver tells him that there are hourlies who can finish the work.

This always amazes me what kind of math do they work with. This time the driver takes to load ends up being OT in the end so essentially your paying them $47 an hour when the preloader could stay on the clock or better yet start earlier and be done when the driver starts for much cheaper.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok they CAN but once they deliver one ground package they should be guaranteed 8 hours and paid full driver pay. I'll
Check my contract tonight

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the end, I don't really care. It just baffles me.

No...you really do care and that is the underlying problem. Unlike your "management" team, you actually give a sh%t about doing your job correctly and setting your driver up to be successful. The only thing your "management" team cares about is that you shovel the damn packages into whatever car happens to be closest so that you can get off the clock and make them look good on a PPH report.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Air drivers can't deliver ground packages.

They can be used to prevent service failures and save UPS Lost $ from service failure, especially a bulk stop. They get ground pay for the day but UPS would loose so much more $ in a service failure of this nature and possibly loss the account which is a SUBSTANTIAL, so they should swallow the pride.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
This always amazes me what kind of math do they work with. This time the driver takes to load ends up being OT in the end so essentially your paying them $47 an hour when the preloader could stay on the clock or better yet start earlier and be done when the driver starts for much cheaper.

Completely agree. But they gotta meet those special #'s for preload.

driver preloading pushing him into O.T. in evening=$47Hr.

Possible service failures for late leave=$XXX.XX

Possible loss of shipper account & no time for customer service if countinued= PRICELESS

I love Logistics.

Jigawatts

What kills me is their refusal to send unloaders throughout the building to help clean up the belts. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have them stick around for an extra few minutes than have all those pieces left over once the drivers have departed? Or does supervision enjoy using their own personal vehicles to run those pieces out to the drivers?

p228

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have them stick around for an extra few minutes than have all those pieces left over once the drivers have departed? Or does supervision enjoy using their own personal vehicles to run those pieces out to the drivers?

Sup hours are free hours (meaning they're not counted against production).

Omega man

I would have demanded to stay and help the driver load the truck. If management had refused, I would file for that time. If a sup ended up loading it after you agreed to leave, the driver should file for that time. Failure to do so only encourages management to keep doing the same.