This place is an effing circus.

I'm sure all of you know this already.So, it's 8:50AM. I've got a 100-piece bulk stop that was not going to fit on one of the trucks, piled up on both sides of my slide (typical Tuesday). Another bulk stop for another truck piled up next to it. I'm trying to finish bulking out this last truck, a 1300 I think. My driver is bitching (not at me) because he has to get the hell out of there. He's got about 20 or so NDA stops. To add to it, a safety auditor approaches me and attempts to interview. The preload manager quickly shoos him away, and I proceed. Now there is some other manager standing around getting in the way. After a couple of minutes, this manager (whoever he is) advises me to leave. He says (in his own words) that the driver, other drivers, and/or sups will finish the truck. My driver tells him that there are hourlies who can finish the work. Of course, nobody cares. So I leave. I'm not particularly eager to stick around for this nonsense.This could have been prevented if they had brought me another truck for that 100-piece bulk stop (which they typically do). Space is a necessity. I need room to sort out whatever I can't load until the end. Without that space, it takes me far too long to sort out the order of things that will be center loaded. It also could have been prevented if they took a specific stop off of that 1300 on days when it exceeded a certain piece count.After so many years that UPS has been in business, how is it possible to not figure this out? This efficiency garbage is absolute nonsense. There is no efficiency. Why do my forecast sheets show 6 pieces for a specific stop when I actually end up with 30? It just doesn't make sense to me. Do they really not know what's coming before it comes? Computers do all of this work for you... friggin' use them.In the end, I don't really care. It just baffles me.
That's logistics.

Kis124

What kills me is their refusal to send unloaders throughout the building to help clean up the belts. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have them stick around for an extra few minutes than have all those pieces left over once the drivers have departed? Or does supervision enjoy using their own personal vehicles to run those pieces out to the drivers?

in our place, unloaders are always going out to help the belts. Problem is, We are usually understaffed to begin with. If not at the beginning of the shift, soon after due to people getting sent home.

CAFAL

This always amazes me what kind of math do they work with. This time the driver takes to load ends up being OT in the end so essentially your paying them $47 an hour when the preloader could stay on the clock or better yet start earlier and be done when the driver starts for much cheaper.

But that would eat into their AM time. Lol

S

splozi

No...you really do care and that is the underlying problem. Unlike your "management" team, you actually give a sh%t about doing your job correctly and setting your driver up to be successful. The only thing your "management" team cares about is that you shovel the damn packages into whatever car happens to be closest so that you can get off the clock and make them look good on a PPH report.

You are correct. I care about -that- part. What I meant is that I don't really care about the mess they create when they do things like this. I used to, but for my own sanity I just can't do it anymore. There are a lot of inefficiencies that management simply doesn't give a damn about, and a lot of it makes things more difficult for the hourly workers. I'll just play along and let them clean up the mess.

clarnzz

The dumber they are the more money u make. Get on the 9.5 list and limit their stupidity to 2 days out of 5. Otherwise if you like money, welcome to heaven.

clarnzz

I had an AM time this morning of 33 minutes because of the shortcomings of our preload. I boldly parlayed that into an 11 hour day.

Yeah, but look at the bright side, the stockholders only lost 500 dollars this morning by paying 42 drivers 47 dollars to wrap up trailers (any overage is overtime) vs. having 10 more dip****s for 4 hours slaving for 8.50 an hour

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You are correct. I care about -that- part. What I meant is that I don't really care about the mess they create when they do things like this. I used to, but for my own sanity I just can't do it anymore. There are a lot of inefficiencies that management simply doesn't give a damn about, and a lot of it makes things more difficult for the hourly workers. I'll just play along and let them clean up the mess.

One of the biggest challenges of working for this company is in developing the ability to detach. It is similar in many ways to having an alcoholic spouse or parent. We care about the person, but we are powerless over their insanity and destructive behavior. All we can do is to take care of ourselves and hope that they hit bottom and become willing to make changes on their own.

Indecisi0n

One of the biggest challenges of working for this company is in developing the ability to detach. It is similar in many ways to having an alcoholic spouse or parent. We care about the person, but we are powerless over their insanity and destructive behavior. All we can do is to take care of ourselves and hope that they hit bottom and become willing to make changes on their own.

Hit the nail right on the head with this one.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Another example of management spending $100 to save a dime on someone else's report. Yesterday they gave me an Early AM parcel in my TP60. Got my trailer at 910 and commit time is 10am. Had just enough time to load my air and fly. Four stops and 55 miles later finally made it back to the TP60 to load the ground and begin my day. Added around two hours to my day and worked 12.25 hours yesterday. Would have been much more cost effective to have our air driver deliver the parcel and they would have had one less disgruntled service provider!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I couldn't care less to be honest as I have no concern for their numbers. If they want to do so, they are certainly welcome to it. So long as my paycheck is correct on Thursday morning, they can play any numbers game they want.

I coded 19 minutes to sort and load this morning. Why should I have to make up 19 minutes on the road because they can't get the sort down on time?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I coded 19 minutes to sort and load this morning. Why should I have to make up 19 minutes on the road because they can't get the sort down on time?

Again, it's THEIR numbers, not YOURS. The whole production/over-allowed thing is their problem. Granted, I haven't been around as long as you have, but in 12 years I cannot remember a single time in which a driver was disciplined with anything greater than a warning letter over performance and we have some serious slackers in my building.

Let them worry about their intangible, made-up numbers. All I'm concerned with are the ones that come on that little blue slip every Thursday morning.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was a 3 ring circus today at our center as well. A couple of preloaders have been promoted to Cover drivers,and a there were some call ins so the preload was no where near down at our 8:30 start .I got out of the building at 9:15,and worked until 2000, CHA CHING! My pre loader was out,so it was Misload City on my route. I had to break off twice to meet drivers,and lost time as well waiting on the pre-load supervisor to bring me 3 stops at 1500. ( that will be a NICE check as well when i file on him for shuttling)I have been over 9.5 every day this week,and am hoping to get at least 10 hours tomorrow and Friday so i'll have a nice payday when i file on excessive OT.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Because we are not allowed. We would be in the office in the am, or they would just take it out, either way. We make it up, or not, usually not.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
For well over 20 years we always coded S/L time if we were delayed in the buiding due to the Pre Load,but starting last year we were told not to ever put S/L time in the board ,and if one does it's an automatic Warning Letter for Failure to Follow Instructions.
As has been said it's their numbers, not mine. <shrug>