This place SUCKS!!!!

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Guess I was at one of the best stations. Although you could have easily gained 10 pounds, they feed the couriers/handlers all week.

From fruit to waffles, eggs, sausage and bacon ... they had something everyday. They even had a "box lunch" on December 24th.

I didn't partake in all the food, but it was nice to grab some yogurt, a bagel and some fruit.

hypo hanna

Certainly the local mgmt can make peak more bearable but there is a wide variety of managers out there. Fyom very bright individuals to compleat idiots. The problem I see is that there is less and less of the good ones every year. They dont come up through the ranks like they did before. Now i see ops mgrs hired off the street or with only a few years spent driving. not enough experiance IMO to manage 30 drivers or more. Food is nice when you are beat down with the freight but it is no substitute for good planning by the leadership.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Certainly the local mgmt can make peak more bearable but there is a wide variety of managers out there. Fyom very bright individuals to compleat idiots. The problem I see is that there is less and less of the good ones every year. They dont come up through the ranks like they did before. Now i see ops mgrs hired off the street or with only a few years spent driving. not enough experiance IMO to manage 30 drivers or more. Food is nice when you are beat down with the freight but it is no substitute for good planning by the leadership.

The employee to manager ratio used to be about 18 to 1. Now it's more like the 30 to 1 you mentioned most of the time, so even a good manager has their hands full. I agree that there are very few good ones, and those that are young enough and bright enough simply leave and do something else. Most of the ex-managers I know found jobs in transportion or distribution because most employers know that if you can survive the FedEx grinder, you'll probably do just fine with a more normal employer.

Fred has mentioned in print that FedEx has trouble attracting the best and brightest. No wonder, given the low starting pay and long top-out times for them. Factor-in the large span of control, and it's a burnout job. If they offer buyouts to ops managers, many of them are going to take them, and that 30 to 1 could become 35 to 1 or higher.

Even though most of our managers are idiots, you have to feel for them. This peak, ours were coming-in at 0430 or 0500 and staying until 2200 every night. I can only imagine what that was like for their families. Some days, they just turned out the lights in their offices, locked the door, and wouldn't answer the phone...probably trying to get a nap. Most days they were on the road being couriers, simultaneously trying to do the management function as well. No fun there.

Planning was minimal at best this year, and that just isn't for peak. Management is so focused on the almighty budget that they miss the forest for the trees. Common sense flies out the window, and I think you can blame MEM for this. All they see is cost, and nothing else, even if they spend a dollar to save a penny.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The employee to manager ratio used to be about 18 to 1. Now it's more like the 30 to 1 you mentioned most of the time, so even a good manager has their hands full. I agree that there are very few good ones, and those that are young enough and bright enough simply leave and do something else. Most of the ex-managers I know found jobs in transportion or distribution because most employers know that if you can survive the FedEx grinder, you'll probably do just fine with a more normal employer.Fred has mentioned in print that FedEx has trouble attracting the best and brightest. No wonder, given the low starting pay and long top-out times for them. Factor-in the large span of control, and it's a burnout job. If they offer buyouts to ops managers, many of them are going to take them, and that 30 to 1 could become 35 to 1 or higher.Even though most of our managers are idiots, you have to feel for them. This peak, ours were coming-in at 0430 or 0500 and staying until 2200 every night. I can only imagine what that was like for their families. Some days, they just turned out the lights in their offices, locked the door, and wouldn't answer the phone...probably trying to get a nap. Most days they were on the road being couriers, simultaneously trying to do the management function as well. No fun there.Planning was minimal at best this year, and that just isn't for peak. Management is so focused on the almighty budget that they miss the forest for the trees. Common sense flies out the window, and I think you can blame MEM for this. All they see is cost, and nothing else, even if they spend a dollar to save a penny.
First of all Fred is pretty clueless about not attracting the best and brightest. Who'd want a mangerial position under the iron fist of MT3? I'm sure his bad reputation as the Captain Bly of the transportation industry has circulated all over the country along with the bad reputation of FedEx in general. Any management position is nothing more than being a puppet for MEM and or the local district. Combine than with the low pay and long top out times, the superior candidates will avoid this company like the plague. As far as the budget goes, it rules everything and it is set up to provide mediocre service at best. But also there's so much money wasted on crap like engineers, spreadsheets, Nascar racing sponsorships, flying around politicians and pandas so I guess they try to save money on what's important so they'll have it to spend on stupid stuff.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First of all Fred is pretty clueless about not attracting the best and brightest. Who'd want a mangerial position under the iron fist of MT3? I'm sure his bad reputation as the Captain Bly of the transportation industry has circulated all over the country along with the bad reputation of FedEx in general. Any management position is nothing more than being a puppet for MEM and or the local district. Combine than with the low pay and long top out times, the superior candidates will avoid this company like the plague. As far as the budget goes, it rules everything and it is set up to provide mediocre service at best. But also there's so much money wasted on crap like engineers, spreadsheets, Nascar racing sponsorships, flying around politicians and pandas so I guess they try to save money on what's important so they'll have it to spend on stupid stuff.

Pandas are Job #1 at FedEx.

packageguy

Where has this company gone? Jesus what a cheap ass outfit this place has become! Work 11+hrs everyday, deliver 100+ stops a day, work your days off, sacrifice family time, and all for what? Dried up biscuits in the morning, cheap orange juice, and a pat on the back. Managers are home with their feet up in their lazy boy recliners enjoying their time while we bust our ass to make the devil more and more money. This company used to be fun to work for and now it has become the cheapest piece of **** to work at.
I don't care what the managers say, the ass kissers say, this company could care fn less about ANYONE in the courier position!

RANT OVER

​drop your blue uniform, and pick a brown one, at least you will make more money for the time you are working......

hypo hanna

Same here. To have 30 years at big brown vs 30 years at FedEx is the difference between chateau lafite and schlitz malt liquor.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

​drop your blue uniform, and pick a brown one, at least you will make more money for the time you are working......

FedEx is purple; blue is the Postal Service, which has union benefits and the like, and I believe top-out higher than a FedExer, although they don't make close to what we make (more on par with an art. 22.3).

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
i
FedEx is purple; blue is the Postal Service, which has union benefits and the like, and I believe top-out higher than a FedExer, although they don't make close to what we make (more on par with an art. 22.3).

I don't know about the uniform you wear, but the uniform I put on five days a week is mostly blue with a little purple.