Thoughts on this discharge

instantK

Driver fired for unreported accident , apparently was in Parking lot and either tail whipped or backed into car , apparently nipping the car , very small damaged I think minority scrap or dent , driver swears he didn't know he did it , good fired or get his job back?

T

Turdferguson

Has driver had any other issues, or accidents . If not then should get job back. If he has had prior accidents, or other discipline out there he could get screwed over.

clean hairy

The damage to the car was not there previously and the owner of the car is not trying to get $ from UPS?
Witnesses saw this and reported the driver for this incident?
At least a few more details would be useful.

Future

Victory Ride
dirk-skreber1[2].jpg
Driver fired for unreported accident , apparently was in Parking lot and either tail whipped or backed into car , apparently nipping the car , very small damaged I think minority scrap or dent , driver swears he didn't know he did it , good fired or get his job back?
God I hate minority car accidents....

He needs to go in there and own it. There are very few accidents you can be in that you know nothing about. There are even fewer people who will believe him. He needs to go in there tell them sorry own it and take his lumps. Then when he comes back he need to upgrade his game.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Here is the thing......they will examine the tellamatics , if when this happened he stopped and inspected it.....they will know, if said driver never even slowed and continued about his normal routine. That will show he probably had no idea, I wouldn't lie about it, that would mean no sympathy at hearing.

instantK

Minor*,, the driver is a good friend of mine, I think a customer saw it but might have video of it happening to , just found out so unsure of details

clean hairy

Sounds like managment was looking for an excuse to get rid of this driver.
As an example, if a driver had to use their personal car during peak to say run air.
The driver opens their door and leaves a door ding on another car, they should report it as an accident? If not, risk being fired?
Not saying it is ok to damage the property of others, but in the case of a barely noticeable nick or ding......

instantK

Hypothetical , say he did stop and saw no damage and kept going thinking nothin of it and is honest about "showed by telematics " what then?

T

Turdferguson

Hypothetical , say he did stop and saw no damage and kept going thinking nothin of it and is honest about "showed by telematics " what then?
Screwed for dishonesty . Report everything . We don't get paid for our decision making ability ,we get paid to work as directed. Always let management make that determination .

9.5er

Several years ago I pulled into a parking lot. Whipped the truck around to back into an open parking space so I wouldn't block anyone in. (Busy lot) Got the package and as I stepped out to go inside business a lady tells me I hit her car. I said no I didn't. She points to her bumped and says I DID hit it. There was an obvious mark on the corner of her bumper. I looked on the corner of my bumper and there was a scuff mark there. Put 2 and 2 together and I guess I really did hit the car. Never felt it. Didn't hear it. But the marks were there. I owned up to it and called a Sup. They came out and investigated it. Charged me with my first accident but I didn't get into any trouble. Don't even remember getting a warning letter. Sup asked me later that evening what I could have done different. I said I could have called in this morning.

Moral of the story, Own up to your mistakes and you'll be better off in the long run.

instantK

Ok say the lady didn't see it or realize it until days later or reported it days later or they see it on video , you wouldn't have known therefor not reported it until too late,,,is reporting an accident days later before anything comes of it , to late?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Several years ago I pulled into a parking lot. Whipped the truck around to back into an open parking space so I wouldn't block anyone in. (Busy lot) Got the package and as I stepped out to go inside business a lady tells me I hit her car. I said no I didn't. She points to her bumped and says I DID hit it. There was an obvious mark on the corner of her bumper. I looked on the corner of my bumper and there was a scuff mark there. Put 2 and 2 together and I guess I really did hit the car. Never felt it. Didn't hear it. But the marks were there. I owned up to it and called a Sup. They came out and investigated it. Charged me with my first accident but I didn't get into any trouble. Don't even remember getting a warning letter. Sup asked me later that evening what I could have done different. I said I could have called in this morning.

Moral of the story, Own up to your mistakes and you'll be better off in the long run.
They dont like that answer, when sometimes that is the only good one.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ok say the lady didn't see it or realize it until days later or reported it days later or they see it on video , you wouldn't have known therefor not reported it until too late,,,is reporting an accident days later before anything comes of it , to late?
Yes, even if you 'think" it, call it in.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
That is definition of not reporting an accident. He would be fired for dishonesty. That is why if you do get in an accident of any type, report it!!!! You won't get fired. But you will if you try to hide it.