Threats, threats and more threats...

Bailey4

They have changed some route boundries at our station knowing the routes will under perform. So ...maybe that is why. That is a law suit waiting to happen and those who become unemployed via that method could most certainly bond together and eventually get paid for sure. We do not need to video it as we can see it has happened and it has been said in front of others. I think that would be a foolish move on Fedex's part. Fedex managers have been too sloppy to cover that one up if they want to try it. Fedex controls the boundries and the stops and the packages when it comes down to it every day. They would not have a leg to stand on.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Today during our daily A.M. workgroup meeting, our SM threated all us couriers that:

1. Missing hitting route goals in September = OLCCL
2. Missing hitting route goals also in October = Warning Letter
3. Missing hitting route goals again in November = Termination

How about that? Anyone else had been threated like this?

SM also warned that "this new expectations memo will be corporate-wide."

The SM is blowing smoke. They can't fire you after only issuing you 1 warning letter. Granted, they can give you a letter for each month that you don't make goal and fire you on the 3rd but as it appears in your post, that's BS. People Manual, page 120.

59 Dano

They have changed some route boundries at our station knowing the routes will under perform. So ...maybe that is why. That is a law suit waiting to happen and those who become unemployed via that method could most certainly bond together and eventually get paid for sure. We do not need to video it as we can see it has happened and it has been said in front of others. I think that would be a foolish move on Fedex's part. Fedex managers have been too sloppy to cover that one up if they want to try it. Fedex controls the boundries and the stops and the packages when it comes down to it every day. They would not have a leg to stand on.

People get fired every day in this country because their expectations were raised (rightfully or wrongfully) beyond their capabilities.

Bailey4

True. And people win lawsuits everyday for the very same reasons. It would be tough to prove someone failed to do there job because the came in at percentages lower than an arbitary number that Fedex comes up with.... especially if you were to have several people let go this way. Not to mention, during a time of restructure. The SPH goal is a number which can be manipulated by Fedex by changing your boundries, having you go out on a route that has a higher SPH goal, having you go out of your area, having you help an area, having you do a single delivery in a pick up route, having you do a single pick up in a delivery route, changing your boundries but refusing to change your SPH goals, the manager just goes in the computer and changes your goals.. I could go on and on. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen should they start issuing letters on that one. Fedex has too many indiscrepancies with regard to SPH practices and it would be easy to prove. Should Fedex proceed down that road I am sure you would receive all your back pay and more when the class action suit was settled

59 Dano

True. And people win lawsuits everyday for the very same reasons.

Really? People routinely win lawsuits for getting fired for not fulfilling the obligations of their jobs? That's a new one.

It would be tough to prove someone failed to do there job because the came in at percentages lower than an arbitary number that Fedex comes up with.... especially if you were to have several people let go this way. Not to mention, during a time of restructure. The SPH goal is a number which can be manipulated by Fedex by changing your boundries, having you go out on a route that has a higher SPH goal, having you go out of your area, having you help an area, having you do a single delivery in a pick up route, having you do a single pick up in a delivery route, changing your boundries but refusing to change your SPH goals, the manager just goes in the computer and changes your goals.. I could go on and on. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen should they start issuing letters on that one.

The way to prove that someone failed to do his job is to show what was expected and what was actually done.

Being fired for having unrealistic job expectations is not a civil tort. If you're covered under the ADA and they aren't making reasonable (in the eyes of the law) accommodations, you have a shot. If you can demonstrate that they singled you out because of your race, religion, color, sex, or national origin you have a shot. Otherwise, no.

Fedex has too many indiscrepancies with regard to SPH practices and it would be easy to prove. Should Fedex proceed down that road I am sure you would receive all your back pay and more when the class action suit was settled

I'm sure you wouldn't. No, I'm absolutely sure you wouldn't.

Bailey4

Well, let's hope we don't have to find out. This is a good example for you Dano. Your repy is " Really? People routinely win lawsuits for getting fired for not fulfilling the obligations of their jobs? That's a new one." You think of it as people not doing their jobs and may of us think of it as unrealistic expectations which could only be met through unsafe behavior and perhaps not met at all without a warp in the time space continuum. The SPH goals are arbitary numbers that Fedex decides need to be met and controls most of the ability to meet them. There is nothing scientific in the Fedex SPH formula. Any engineer outside of Fedex could tear the Fedex SPH goals to bits. And as for the Fedex engineers I have come in contact with...many of them are pulling there hair out trying to meet the company goals. That is enough said on this subject. You will have to talk to yourself now.

59 Dano

Well, let's hope we don't have to find out. This is a good example for you Dano. Your repy is " Really? People routinely win lawsuits for getting fired for not fulfilling the obligations of their jobs? That's a new one." You think of it as people not doing their jobs and may of us think of it as unrealistic expectations which could only be met through unsafe behavior and perhaps not met at all without a warp in the time space continuum. The SPH goals are arbitary numbers that Fedex decides need to be met and controls most of the ability to meet them. There is nothing scientific in the Fedex SPH formula. Any engineer outside of Fedex could tear the Fedex SPH goals to bits. And as for the Fedex engineers I have come in contact with...many of them are pulling there hair out trying to meet the company goals. That is enough said on this subject. You will have to talk to yourself now.

Again, the law doesn't care if the numbers are unattainable. The law cares if you were singled out for a supposed unattainable goal because of your status in a protected class.

RTURNSONLY

"[/QUOTE]

The SM is blowing smoke. They can't fire you after only issuing you 1 warning letter. Granted, they can give you a letter for each month that you don't make goal and fire you on the 3rd but as it appears in your post, that's BS. People Manual, page 120.[/QUOTE]"

Thats exactly what I'm saying, these managers are so full of BS, and shouldn't be using intimidating tactics expecting moral and productivity will improve.

Lordtekk

I saw the letter and all I can say is WOW!!!!! You guys better open your mouths because what I hear this is not being endorsed by corporate. Go over the directors head on this one.

Lordtekk

The letter that states the onroad goals return to building etc. It has a summary of what they are going to do to you starting with an OLCC all the way to termination.

Goldilocks

The letter that states the onroad goals return to building etc. It has a summary of what they are going to do to you starting with an OLCC all the way to termination.

We were told this morning during our briefing that no one will get terminated over SPH. I would like to know more about the letter you speak of...

Lordtekk

It was issued by a SM in the Sunshine District in Florida. It basically describes what your expectations are and what are the consequences if you fail to meet those expectations. It is stunning. I will not get into specifics but let's just say it was surprising to see this in black and white.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People get fired every day in this country because their expectations were raised (rightfully or wrongfully) beyond their capabilities.

What an apologist thing to say. It sounds like FedEx is intentionally setting-up employees for the sole purpose of terminating them. That DOES sound like a lawsuit, hopefully a huge class action.

Rhoderunner

It was issued by a SM in the Sunshine District in Florida. It basically describes what your expectations are and what are the consequences if you fail to meet those expectations. It is stunning. I will not get into specifics but let's just say it was surprising to see this in black and white.

Keep a copy for yourself. Never know when it may come in handy in the future.

RTURNSONLY

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same station where this SM made an all-out, top-to-bottom restructure, changing couriers' schedules, (mostly to 4/10s), changing all routes boundaries, and throwing them in new areas with NO training whatsoever. The couriers haven't had checkrides in their new routes, the SPH goals were set arbitrarily, and no one is hitting their inflated goals, hence, daily threats of termination by the way of memos, PPad broadcasts, and verbally. This station is averaging over 100 late packages daily, also tons of missed and/or late pups, and managers simply blame couriers. There has been several instances were the CTV left late for the ramp due to Crs returning late to the barn, or freight had to be shuttle to the airport.

It's my understanding, 4 managers had transferred out since this SM got the position less than 6 months ago. Moral is at an all-time low, and several couriers are contemplating early retirement or other jobs. Two couriers already had showed up to work and quit on the spot. For what I hear, this station is in total chaos.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If I'm not mistaken, this is the same station where this SM made an all-out, top-to-bottom restructure, changing couriers' schedules, (mostly to 4/10s), changing all routes boundaries, and throwing them in new areas with NO training whatsoever. The couriers haven't had checkrides in their new routes, the SPH goals were set arbitrarily, and no one is hitting their inflated goals, hence, daily threats of termination by the way of memos, PPads broadcasts, and verbally. This station is averaging over 100 late packages daily, also tons of missed and/or late pups, and managers simply blame couriers. There has been several instances were the CTV left late for the ramp due to Crs returning late to the barn, or freight had to be shuttle to the airport.

It's my understanding, 4 managers had transferred out since this SM got the position less than 6 months ago. Moral is at an all-time low, and several couriers are contemplating early retirement or other jobs. Two couriers already had showed up to work and quit on the spot. For what I hear, this station is in total chaos.

Sounds like the SM is on his way to bigger and better things. If he totally effs it up, and it sounds like he has, he can probably skip MD and go right to MEM. That's where they keep the "smart" ones. Total chaos=top of the dog pile. I have a feeling that other stations are experiencing similar "leadership" right now. You reap what you sow, fools. I just feel sorry for the couriers who have to put up with crap like this.

morgan

first off, fedex has such a weak management stucture that their only management tool is intimidation. go ahead fire me for not hitting a totally fabricated goal, i will have a lawyer on that so fast the ink won't even be dry on the termination papers.
And second, what happens to safety? does that get superceded by route goals. we've all heard this in various forms over the past few years and then it majically goes away. wonder how many accidents have been caused by a driver who was all stressed out by his manager sending clears times.
some day fedex will realize what several other companies (ie:google, fidelity, etc) have been doing for years. a happy employee is a productive employee! i don't need a pool workout room or a cafeteria but what i do need is to not walk into a negative workplace every morning.. yeah i know I'm dreaming