Tier 3 accident...

MoarTape

:censored2: happens you won't lose your job if this was your first accident

A feeder driver in our building still in his 30 days had a roll away. Didn't set his brakes and his set rolled across the street into some trees. They fired him. He did get his job back, but they tried.

bumped

I'm confused about the right of way. If your doing a U-turn how do you have the right of way with the on coming traffic.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We were told that TIER 3s were an automatic termination for the driver. We were also told that if a package car has to be towed away from an accident scene(roll over) that will also be deemed a TIER 3. We had 2 in our center in the last couple of weeks. Both drivers were suspended pending investigation. Both drivers were clearly at fault. Both drivers were granted their jobs back. Both drivers should be thankful it was the time of year it is otherwise they would have hit the bricks.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If you didn't care what outsiders thought, we would not be working tomorrow. This whole spiel is just a publicity ploy for the "outsiders."

You are making it look to the "outsiders" that everything will be fine this peak. "Look, we are working Friday after Thanksgiving. We fixed the problem."

So you do care what outsiders think.

And by the way, if you were really management, you would know that the cost of a tier 3 accident is $40K, not $45K. That wasn't a typo, that was lack of knowledge.

And it is not like the center has to send corporate a check. It goes on the centers books, and corporate pays the centers bills. So who cares if they charge them $100K. It is just a number on a piece of paper. And this is all UPS cares about anymore. A number on a piece of paper. It's pretty sad. Jim Casey would be rolling over in his grave.

Its a business decision to work on Friday.

Its a business decision to put an employee back in the inside who just cost the company $40K for nothing.

$40K goes to a lot more than just covering some dented auto parts..but you wouldn't know that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Tier 3's are $45-47K.

I misspoke last evening-- I meant to say taken out of service rather than terminated.

Kind of a big difference.

Here in the Western Conference, the accident as described would most definitely NOT result in a termination unless the driver had been issued warning letters and suspensions for previous accidents within 9 months.

Our language only allows immediate termination for "recklessness resulting in serious accident". Making a legal turn on a green light does not constitute "recklessness", and an accident with no injuries or citations in which our vehicle is still driveable does not constitute "serious".

The manner in which the company chooses to internally designate the accident (Tier 1, 2, 3 etc.) is irrelevant to the discipline administered, and the $45K that is supposedly "charged" to the center is simply another stupid UPS accounting trick that is also irrelevant from a disciplinary standpoint.

A few years ago we had a driver discharged on a first offense for a serious accident. He was talking on his cell phone, texting on the DIAD, and driving all at the same time. His package car left the road and took out a power pole. He was fired immediately and the union did not attempt to arbitrate or argue the case since his guilt and recklessness were beyond dispute.

JackStraw

The only way for any driver not to be at fault for an accident is to not leave the building. Driver was approaching an intersection last month, did everything right(covered brake, off the fuel, horn). kid pulls out, driver locks up, hits front of the car. How in gods name is it his fault?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its a business decision to put an employee back in the inside who just cost the company $40K for nothing.

$40K goes to a lot more than just covering some dented auto parts..but you wouldn't know that.

I'm guessing that, on average, about 39 out of that $40K is "self-imposed" by UPS rather than being an accurate reflection of the real world costs of a given accident.

A few years ago, I broke a rear-view mirror on a tree limb going up a mile-long driveway on a dark rainy night. Its about a 5 minute job for the mechanic to replace a $10 piece of glass, but UPS in its infinite wisdom chose to have a supervisor make a 3 hour, 60 mile roundtrip to the scene of the crime...with a camera and a flashlight... in order to take about 30 photographs of a tree. There was the mandatory OJS ride, the mandatory week of acronym regurgitation for 15 minutes every morning under the tutelage of the "safety committee", and a 30 minute disciplinary meeting with myself and my shop steward and a gaggle of management people. All told, we spent well over $1K out of pocket on the $10 piece of glass that I broke. Your money and your call, but don't expect me to buy into any of it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I can't speak for everyone, but I would certainly like you to share some of your vast knowledge. Always willing to learn.

UPSGUY72

The charges the center for each Tier accident are automatic even if there is no property damage or the other person was at fault.

UPSGUY72

heard a guy was dq'd because while at the door of a delivery, an 87 year old man backed his truck into the brown.... improperly parked was the reason.... the lexus had back up sensors and the street is over 2 and half lanes....

He apparently parked across the street from the driveway which is a no no.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I'm guessing that, on average, about 39 out of that $40K is "self-imposed" by UPS rather than being an accurate reflection of the real world costs of a given accident.

A few years ago, I broke a rear-view mirror on a tree limb going up a mile-long driveway on a dark rainy night. Its about a 5 minute job for the mechanic to replace a $10 piece of glass, but UPS in its infinite wisdom chose to have a supervisor make a 3 hour, 60 mile roundtrip to the scene of the crime...with a camera and a flashlight... in order to take about 30 photographs of a tree. There was the mandatory OJS ride, the mandatory week of acronym regurgitation for 15 minutes every morning under the tutelage of the "safety committee", and a 30 minute disciplinary meeting with myself and my shop steward and a gaggle of management people. All told, we spent well over $1K out of pocket on the $10 piece of glass that I broke. Your money and your call, but don't expect me to buy into any of it.

Sober, I and a lot of other management agree with you. Its a lot of unnecessary paperwork/bs follow up for a broken mirror.

As in the old days, mirror should have been repaired that night and nothing else.

Unfortunately I am not in charge of the follow up and how it should be conducted and on what types of crashes. A broken mirror is not a crash, getting hit at an intersection is.