Time card shaving

IDoLessWorkThanMost

As far as I know ( and this could be wrong) and I'm interested to understand the absolute truth; if you're at your place of employment and you are hurt, on their property, it doesn't matter if you are working on the clock or not, you are covered for insurance purposes (doctor, any medical treatment)

Workmans comp though, I.E. collecting weekly 60% or thereabouts pay - no, you are not covered. Workmans comp is being injured ON THE JOB, WHILE WORKING.

drewed

Shankman
As far as I know ( and this could be wrong) and I'm interested to understand the absolute truth; if you're at your place of employment and you are hurt, on their property, it doesn't matter if you are working on the clock or not, you are covered for insurance purposes (doctor, any medical treatment)

Yea thats my understanding of it.

Workmans comp though, I.E. collecting weekly 60% or thereabouts pay - no, you are not covered. Workmans comp is being injured ON THE JOB, WHILE WORKING.

But in the case i stated above he couldnt take either, he had to go after the city....and didnt have great results

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Yea thats my understanding of it.

But in the case i stated above he couldnt take either, he had to go after the city....and didnt have great results

I did read your post, yes it would seem he would have trouble in that case. Not knowing the details, but if there was something "at risk" on city property, it woudl take very convincing evidence, a real provable hazard and a great lawyer to be compensated. Sure it could happen, but probably very infrequently.

Slipping and falling hurting your back, there'd be alot of lawsuits (and fake ones) if everyone took their town or city of choice to court. =)

thom1842

No difference at all. I mean really, how can this be such a mystery. How is this any different than your manager telling you he needs you to pick up his dry cleaning on the way in.

I apologize if this comes off as harsh but I just can't believe that this is such a gray area.

The reason I asked is because this is what we were told all drivers should do, have all your supplies ready before the PCM which starts at your start time. I was told this in my 5-day training for driving. The trainer said it's just like getting changed into your uni for the day.

J

JonFrum

My understanding of this was its traveling to or from a vehicle (on company property) not to and from your house, because lets say you stopped by McDs to get a egg Mcmuf and have a heart attack, should the company be liable for your fat ass?

We had a driver last winter slip and fall coming down from the 2nd parking lot (across a municipal street and up a hil from the building) he hurt his back. The investigation was done, the driver said this is where i fell, UPS took pictures. He went to the DR tried to claim comp but couldnt because he was on municipal land, and it was the city's responsibilty for the up keep

If you are covered going to work, your coverage probably would not apply if you took a personal, non-work-related detour to get an Egg McMuffin. Unless your boss ordered you to pick up the Egg McMuffins for the workers on your way in! Then it's work related.

Since Worker's Comp is for injuries and illnesses caused by work, a heart attack in McDonalds probably wouldn't qualify, unless you could prove the job caused it.

I suspect there were other issues involved in that driver falling in the city parking lot example. Don't know all the details.

If you muck up the rules with enough extenuating circumstances, I suppose you can turn any rule or statement into its opposite.

[Rules differ from State to State. Massachusetts is more stingy than most.]

robbdogg75

I've been a loader for 3 weeks now and I have noticed that my work load is a lot easier if I come in at least 15 minutes early. The belts are running even when I've been there 20 minutes early. If I wait till my start time to start loading, I will be overwhelmed with packages and jams and my morning will suck. Even during the break our packages are still coming down, so I don't understand that because I was told that ALL belts stop during break. In the end, I hate working for free, but it makes my morning run a lot better and smoother.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I've been a loader for 3 weeks now and I have noticed that my work load is a lot easier if I come in at least 15 minutes early. The belts are running even when I've been there 20 minutes early. If I wait till my start time to start loading, I will be overwhelmed with packages and jams and my morning will suck. Even during the break our packages are still coming down, so I don't understand that because I was told that ALL belts stop during break. In the end, I hate working for free, but it makes my morning run a lot better and smoother.

And you know what management is saying behind closed doors? SUCKER!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I agree.....that's just plain stupid. Nobody is going to give you a cookie for working off the clock.

When you're new and especially young, its not easy to gauge what is expected of you. What he/she probably doesnt understand is that there is a reason the belts are running, and theyre behind to start - it's planned that way to get the new people working for free and to make those extra 5-10 minute numbers since they add up. It's really sad to watch all the new hires and even a few graudated ones that will run themselves into the ground for this company. But then again, when I started, I did the same thing for awhile, until about 6 months then I learned.

P.S. I wrote this more for the Robbdogg, obviously. :)

robbdogg75

I guess you guys can call it stupid, but I have been raised with hi standards. I have been working for 15yrs and have always been at least ten minutes early for every job whether I'm paid or not. Never have been late and never have called in...NEVER! The idiots to me are the ones that have been there longer than me and they are always behind. My third week and only 2 misloads. Also, its not because I have a smaller load than others. I've had 3 sups come to me and apologize for throwing me right into 3 package cars without any help. I take pride in my job and in myself for my hi standards.

beentheredonethat

I will say this. There is and will be time shaved off the clock as long as the system they have in place is used. It is in a sups best interest to shave time and most due.

Chester, I agree, that there are supvs out there that will alter timecards. I've heard of some, and I've seen them get demoted and others fired. I've been in operations, I've never seen a supv (or mgr) fired for not making their numbers. (They get harrassed etc, but not fired). However, I have seen them get fired for altering timecards which is a nice way of saying stealing from their hourlies. Some supvs may think it's in their best interest, but how can doing something that you can get fired for be in your best interest? If I were you, and knew of a supv that did this, (let me be clear, proof positive that they did this) I'd contact the corp compliance number. NO EXCUSE for this behavior.
If it was just a feeling, I'd check and double check to make sure what had occurred. Keep in mind, there's an audit trail, so you can see who changed a timecard. Some people think they are smart and use someone elses ID. If you see that Supv A ID was used, and you are pretty sure it was Supv B that did it. I'd t/w Supv A, and ask them about a time card change etc. Basically I'd get them to change their password.

Do the right thing for your people, and your people will do the right thing for you.

sx2700

Banned
I guess you guys can call it stupid, but I have been raised with hi standards. I have been working for 15yrs and have always been at least ten minutes early for every job whether I'm paid or not. Never have been late and never have called in...NEVER! The idiots to me are the ones that have been there longer than me and they are always behind. My third week and only 2 misloads. Also, its not because I have a smaller load than others. I've had 3 sups come to me and apologize for throwing me right into 3 package cars without any help. I take pride in my job and in myself for my hi standards.

It's got nothing to do with your standards. Come in early all you like, just don't start working until you're on the clock. You are just perpetuating the problem. If everybody starts when they are supposed to then how could you ever be behind to begin with?

LKLND3380

Now, is there any contract rule that allows them to do that? If my start time is 5:15, and I clock in at 5:10, can they adjust that? Is it legal (Oregon)? We have no setup time. I know I'm supposed to start at 5:15 but the belt starts at 5:15 too, and I have to get my charts, etc.

Thanx in advance.

IF your start time is 5:15 YOU DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING or SET UP ANYTHING until 5:15... You do not work off the clock and IF your co-workers work off the clock then you grieve it... Supes are not supposed to allow ANYONE to work off the clock...

You must be in your work area (or other designated area/PCM) at start time - This does not include time clock area UNLESS that is your work area.

Start times just that - START WORKING TIME...

Work right slow and safe

This happend to me a few times at work I was told by a few co workers to keep track of my time worked when I CLOCK OUT it will tell me how long i have worked and then write it down...

I have cought them taking time from me I told my suppervisor and they wanted to see what time's i had and then he fixed it twice for me it still happends about once a month now they take like 5 to 10 min off a check or two they have taken as much as 2.5 hr in one week off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is a lot easier for a driver to "fix" time card errors than it is for someone who works on the inside. A driver can simply stay out for the time that he was shorted and all is well.

This thread has most certainly run it's course.

Don't start until start time. Show up 5-10 min early so that you are ready to work but don't do any work, even just gathering the materials that you need, until your start time.

Time card errors are bound to occur when you are talking about 200,000+ hourly employees.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Im not knockihg your standards,but what if they wanted you to stay an extra 15 mins after you punch out?You have to draw the line somewhere.Do yourself a favor and add up all that time for 1 year.Thats about what your supes Christmas bonus is.