Time card shaving

Robb

Hey guys,

So my paychecks have been light since I transferred as a preloader to this other center, and some of the employees alleged that the manager 'adjusts' our timecards. So I started keeping record and found over a half hour shaved off my card for this last check.

Now, is there any contract rule that allows them to do that? If my start time is 5:15, and I clock in at 5:10, can they adjust that? Is it legal (Oregon)? We have no setup time. I know I'm supposed to start at 5:15 but the belt starts at 5:15 too, and I have to get my charts, etc.

Thanx in advance.

Mike Hawk

If your start time is 5:15 and you clock in at 5:10, you don't get paid untill 5:15 unless it is adjusted. Don't start working untill your start time.

leastbest

LeastBest
If you start at 5:15 you don't get paid until 5:15. You don't do any work (charts, etc>) until 5:15. You get paid for all the time you work, if not you file a grievance.

Robb

I start work when I clock in. But the belt starts at the exact same time. The unloader in the truck starts earlier so it is assured there are packages at exactly 5:15.

My complaint is that there is setup time required of at least 5 minutes. My charts that I have to get are on the other side of the building. I have to tape them to the car doors. Packages are already moving by. I'm the sorter at the start of the line.

Basically, I'm pressured to work for free about an half hour each week. If I don't do that setup time I'm behind for a long time trying to catch up.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I start work when I clock in. But the belt starts at the exact same time. The unloader in the truck starts earlier so it is assured there are packages at exactly 5:15.

My complaint is that there is setup time required of at least 5 minutes. My charts that I have to get are on the other side of the building. I have to tape them to the car doors. Packages are already moving by. I'm the sorter at the start of the line.

Basically, I'm pressured to work for free about an half hour each week.
AT 5:15 go get the charts, not before.
Inform mgt that.....
If they need you before then have them change your start time because you refuse to work for free.

over9five

Staff member
Basically, I'm pressured to work for free about an half hour each week.

No, you're not. Stand at the timeclock till 5:15. Then walk across the building to get your charts. It is not your problem that you are behind. If your sup wants to, he can change your start time to 5:10. Don't start before your start time. Don't work for free.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Basically, I'm pressured to work for free about an half hour each week. If I don't do that setup time I'm behind for a long time trying to catch up.

You and all your coworkers need to wait until your scheduled start time (5:15). Then, and only then, get your charts and set up. When there are a bunch of packages piled up at the end of the belt, management will be forced to make an adjustment in one direction or another. NEVER WORK FOR FREE. If you want to do charity work there are alot more deserving organizations than UPS.

Robb

Got it. What about filing a grievance for back wages?

And I won't have any employee support there. They're all waiting to make driver. We're a distant satellite center over the mountains and I only see a union guy twice a year come down to shake hands.

Plus, the law trumps company policy. Don't I have to sign it if they adjust my card?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Take your time, too. Don't run back to your belt or work space. If it's 5:20 and you miss 20 packages, so what....

Believe me, management factors in those 5 minutes you're working for free into their plan. If management hoaxed every employee , 5 minutes a day for 420,000 teamsters, that over 2 million minutes. 34,000 hours a day towards their time bonuses and cost savings.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

And I won't have any employee support there. They're all waiting to make driver. We're a distant satellite center over the mountains and I only see a union guy twice a year come down to shake hands.

Plus, the law trumps company policy. Don't I have to sign it if they adjust my card?

I don't see a grievance on this one. What article are you going to cite? And who's fault is it you worked off the clock? Not the companies, IMO.

Robb

Well, most of the drivers come into their cars early and off the clock. They sort, mentally line up their day, etc. I asked a manager once what would happen if they got hurt. Basically, the center likes them working for free but would throw them under a bus if they filed for an injury.

This became an issue with me because one of my drivers is kind of a dick and he's in my way for the last part of my shift. We got into an argument and I demanded he be out of the car since he's not even clocked in. His manager approved him being able to be in the car, so I lost.

I first liked working at UPS because the hours were short, the bennies are good, and I got a workout. Now I resent it every day because I feel I'm always getting screwed. I'm never getting the straight story.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

First off they are not adjusting your time card. You start getting paid at your scheduled start time.
Secondly I see no grievance for the past with one exception. You could file for the company to not allow your coworkers to work ahead of their start time. The contract clearly states that management will not allow employees to work ahead of their scheduled start time without appropriate compensation. This puts the onus on the company to police this issue. Problem there being that there will be no monetary penalty. We all know that if it doesn't cost then they don't care.
With the latter in mind here is how you attack the problem. When you see a junior employee working ahead of their start time, ask to be put to work. When they say no file a grievance under the extra work provisions at time and a half. It's art. 3 sec 16 in my supplement. This puts the company in a trick bag. Obviously they can't say they didn't know he was up on the belt working because you pointed it out when you asked to be put to work. If they say he wasn't on the clock they are in violation of the fore mentioned language. Might seem trivial but as you already eluded a half an hour a week times 52 weeks is 25 hours at time and a half would equate to 37 1/2 hours of straight time pay.
DON'T WORK FOR FREE OR TOLERATE IT FROM YOUR COWORKERS.

Well, most of the drivers come into their cars early and off the clock. They sort, mentally line up their day, etc. I asked a manager once what would happen if they got hurt. Basically, the center likes them working for free but would throw them under a bus if they filed for an injury.

This became an issue with me because one of my drivers is kind of a dick and he's in my way for the last part of my shift. We got into an argument and I demanded he be out of the car since he's not even clocked in. His manager approved him being able to be in the car, so I lost.

I first liked working at UPS because the hours were short, the bennies are good, and I got a workout. Now I resent it every day because I feel I'm always getting screwed. I'm never getting the straight story.

We`re giving you the straight story. DON`T WORK UNTIL YOUR START TIME. PERIOD. You cannot grieve for back pay because you have been working off the clock,you are giving that time away. There is no time card shaving because you will not be paid until your actual start time. Punch in,stand there until your start time,then begin work at your start time. Not a moment earlier. if a sup asks why your standing there you reply you are waiting for your start time. if he inquires why you aren't working like you did before you say "I`m sorry. I thought my start time was at 5:15. Has it been changed to 5:10? I wouldn't want to get hurt working off the clock."

Simple enough a caveman can do it.