Time studies

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh yes "Time Studies" Those were the good ol days. You haven't lived until someone runs a stopwatch on you while you are taking a piss. They would be nice enough to not go in the bathroom with you but would still wait outside the door with the clock running. I once asked a female timer what her boyfriend thought about her riding around with a strange guy all day and timing him while he took a piss. Can you believe she got all huffy and said "well we have to account for every second of the day"[/quoteI wonder how she accounted for the time it took her to tinkle, I'm sure she couldn't hold it all day.
:lol:
I think they wore Depends because they only went to the bathroom when I was "officially" on break. It is really sad and lot of people who have never worked for the Brown Grinder still don't believe me.

musicman

I would just like to weigh in on the 6 second per pkg allowance that was taken from us. I find the justification for this was laughable. Supposedly it is so much faster to sheet pkgs with the diad than it is with paper. Well in some cases yes. The problem with this thinking is that there are so many other things that we are doing now with the diad that we didn't with paper that I don't think we save that much time with it. What about all the ODS messages we have to respond to. What about all the manually entered tracking numbers. I raised a great argument with our division mgr. when he visited our building to make this announcement. I asked him if he really believed that he could scan 20 pkgs faster than I could sheet them. He replied, "Absoulutely". I pointed out to him that If he took 2 seconds to scan each package it would take him approx. 40 seconds to scan all 20. I held up a piece of paper wrote down shpr number 980-222 drew a diagonal line to the bottom of the paper and said, "Sign here for 20 please". The whole room broke up in laughter. His faced turned a beet red and he quickly tried to get his game face back on. Anyway the whole theory behind it is faulty. For instance a driver only delivers 100 pkgs a day won't lose as much time as the driver who delivers 750. This was just a way of cutting down on bonus pay for drivers who made incentive. Some accountant somewhere said, Hey if we cut out the incentive for the drivers it will pay for the next couple of years raises countrywide. But all this talk of time studies really has no impact at all on the driver who follows the methods, keeps a smooth brisk pace and does his job by the book. He is in no jeopardy and is not affected by overallowed because when the sups ride with him the numbers don't change.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Why is the package car driver the only ups employee that has to be super efficient? Since entering the feeder ranks and having to observe UPS operations at all hours I have seen such inefficient jobs that it makes me mad to see this time study B.S., which I used to just blow off, back when they would add or take away time over the years on the routes I did I would just shrug and say whatever . Other than the poor smucks that load the trailers (worse ups job in my opinion) Package Car drivers are the ones who have to make everyone money. From porters,mechanics, to clerks to shifters/mule drivers and yes feeder drivers too plus all upper mgmt I see these good folks take their sweet time doing their jobs if they're doing it at all, but my fellows package cars drivers are being killed out there. Just had a young aspiring college bound driver quit all UPS, after weeks of training and a couple accidents. Why? too much B.S. I heard sups on phone begging him to come back he said "friend" off hung up on there pathetic faces. This guy was being sent out with 175 stops a day plus a pick-up string , I dont think I as a 21 year old I would have made it in todays UPS enviroment, stressing out young smart people and sending them to our competition and keeping dead wood loafing around hub all day that what I see. Place time studies on feeder on everyone see what happens. If I offended your job please set me straight.

over9five

Staff member
They have started to time study my center.

"We are time studying the route, NOT the driver".

Two time study people, 50 routes. I will let you know how mine goes.

8Years2Go

I lost 7/10th's when they time studied my route about three years back. Lets see! Yes, in August just before our raises. The following year we were told that they forgot to adjust the allowances when we went from paper to DIAD "No :censored2:" and that was 9 minutes per hundred pkg's. Average was almost 1/2 hour a day. Would you believe it took affect in August, just in time for our raises. Do you see a pattern? And they wonder why I run an hour over every day. Even with their math I should be running a couple of 10th's under. I really don't think it matters what you do while being time studied, they're just going to take time away. And they know the times are wrong! Three years ago, if over half the center was running 45 minutes to 1 and a half hours over, there would be a line a mile long in front of the center manager's office every morning for production issues.
Oh Well! Rest up boys, peak is right around the corner!!

tieguy

Banned
Tie, do you think if we offered mgm't a million dollars each to get the cars out on time they could do it? If they could would you say since they are not doing it now they aren't doing an honests day work?

goes back to my point about focus. When you see a region visit come into a building you often see the building run a lot better and a lot cleaner without that many more people working. The focus is there to run the volume and run clean as you go.