Time to clean house

Jim Rockford

People would have crossed a picket line in droves to pay for all those

Mercedes, BMW's, and $60,000 pickups in the parking lots.

Yeah..ive seen this excuse before. How many scab pilots are crossing? Drivers? Union carpenters..electricians? Try flying 251 planes without pilots.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The two-thirds/50% rule has no place at UPS and it's use in ratifying this latest contract was planned and hidden from the membership until after the National Master was voted.

How could it be hidden from the members, when it's been in the IBT

Constitution since 1987 ? It was used before in the National Master

Freight Agreement. People that weren't aware of the provision, are

obviously uninformed and don't participate in the Union.

It's pretty simple to understand why it was used, the chance of a

successful strike was slim to none.... as evidenced by the strike vote.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How could it be hidden from the members, when it's been in the IBT

Constitution since 1987 ? It was used before in the National Master

Freight Agreement. People that weren't aware of the provision, are

obviously uninformed and don't participate in the Union.

It's pretty simple to understand why it was used, the chance of a

successful strike was slim to none.... as evidenced by the strike vote.
....yet this "rule" wasn't utilized in the last contract ratification, when 18 supplements failed?

It was validated this time as an "obligation", per the IBT Constitution, so why wasn't it last time?

For those who remember, I saw it coming and asked every Union official I could find if this two-thirds/50% rule was in play....and all I could get was "I don't know".

Then miraculously, in less than an hour after the votes were counted, it all became crystal clear.

SMH

Integrity

Binge Poster
....and more importantly, what percentage of transient part time employees didn't vote???

This dynamic is in play nowhere else in the Teamsters Union, yet @BigUnionGuy wants to pretend that it is those who park Mercedes Benz, BMWs, and $60,000 trucks in our parking lots that failed to vote.

The two-thirds/50% rule has no place at UPS and it's use in ratifying this latest contract was planned and hidden from the membership until after the National Master was voted.

Please don't piss down our backs and tell us it is raining @Integrity, it insults our intelligence.
I believe if the numbers were actually published we might be surprised with the total of full timers that did not vote.

When everyone was griping about the contract passing I asked guys in my work group and the sad truth is that more than I expected didn’t vote.

In my experience there are many apathetic full timers at UPS too, there is not just apathy in the part time ranks.

In a small way I think some of the postings and posters here on the BC can attest to that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe if the numbers were actually published we might be surprised with the total of full timers that did not vote.

When everyone was griping about the contract passing I asked guys in my work group and the sad truth is that more than I expected didn’t vote.

In my experience there are many apathetic full timers at UPS too, there is not just apathy in the part time ranks.

In a small way I think some of the postings and posters here on the BC can attest to that.
How many of them told you that they didn't believe that their vote mattered due to the implementation of the last contract?

I heard that a lot.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How many of them told you that they didn't believe that their vote mattered due to the implementation of the last contract?

I heard that a lot.
There reasons were their reasons but I clearly said to them if you don’t vote you are part of the problem not part of the solution.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That language in Article XII isn't exclusive to Masters?

In 2013 the IBT followed the language in Article VII section 2(b) in regards

to the Master being approved and the 18 supplements being voted down.

We aren't going to beat this horse to death.... again ?

:biggrin:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I heard that a lot.

How many times have you heard that members don't want to file a

grievance or sign the 9.5 list, because they are afraid of retaliation ?

UPS knows it's employees.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In 2013 the IBT followed the language in Article VII section 2(b) in regards

to the Master being approved and the 18 supplements being voted down.

We aren't going to beat this horse to death.... again ?

:biggrin:
I'm prepared to "beat that dead horse" all the way up to the next IBT Convention, where hopefully the two-thirds/50% rule will be abolished.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Get rid of Hoffa
Problem solved.
Not saying someone else might not do a better job but I disagree with this statement.

The problem as I see it is, generally speaking, an apathetic, self centered rank and file which is exemplified by their unwillingness to participate in the democratic process by failure to vote.

It is also exemplified at times by the failure of many to uphold the contract by filing grievances when needed.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
During the last POTUS cycle, I had a revelation when I went to the polls to vote.
While I arrived prepared to vote, I soon realized that I wasn't, at least not completely.
I was definitely educated on how I wanted to vote for many candidates and most issues on the ballot, but not all of them.

There were positions like County Auditor and a couple of bond levies that I didn't know about, and not being affiliated with a political party, I found myself having to choose between "pop-a-shotting" a vote or abstaining.
I choose to abstain, rather than dilute the votes of those qualified.

So maybe, just maybe, those who choose not to educate themselves and vote, are actually doing us all a favor, allowing and trusting their brothers and sisters who are to speak for them?

Not saying someone else might not do a better job but I disagree with this statement.

The problem as I see it is, generally speaking, an apathetic, self centered rank and file which is exemplified by their unwillingness to participate in the democratic process by failure to vote.

It is also exemplified at times by the failure of many to uphold the contract by filing grievances when needed.
Are you a union member? If not, it's none of your business.