Tips/Advice for a new loader?

UPSZax

This is about my third week at ups, 2 weeks without a trainer. Now everyday I have 2 trucks at a time and one has heavy flow, one has medium flow.

My timing is way better than I first started with scanning and placing at a quick pace. But even then sometimes I get overwhelmed when I’m a bit backed up in 1 truck, lots of iregs coming at the bottom, and still have another truck to work on and find my self just being stuck over working for a bit. So if any of you previous loaders or loaders that has any advice please let me know.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This is about my third week at ups, 2 weeks without a trainer. Now everyday I have 2 trucks at a time and one has heavy flow, one has medium flow.

My timing is way better than I first started with scanning and placing at a quick pace. But even then sometimes I get overwhelmed when I’m a bit backed up in 1 truck, lots of iregs coming at the bottom, and still have another truck to work on and find my self just being stuck over working for a bit. So if any of you previous loaders or loaders that has any advice please let me know.
Go to school. Use this job to pay for it. Don’t work here in the long run.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

2 trucks would be like a vacation

IESucks

It only gets worse. They will add another truck soon

UPSZax

Go to school. Use this job to pay for it. Don’t work here in the long run.

Yea that’s what I’m doing man

BrownThunder

Don't get caught up with the production numbers they throw at you. Work safe and do a consistent day's work.

Not sure if you're trying to drive or go into management, but in either case I believe the only reward for busting your a__ is extra work.

This is a marathon.

Tenpoint88

I am just going to go ahead and say it. Quit while you can. Don’t waste your time man. You can go get an easier and better paying job at Uber or Lyft while trying to figure out what you WANT to do for a living. Unless you seriously enjoy the job, you need to quit and go do something different.

I’ll put it like this, if it was early 2000’s or earlier, then it would maybe be worthwhile to stay and retire early or something. But the truth is UPS isn’t what it used to be. I worked here for a year and a half as a part-timer. Worked a solid 10-11 hour day construction, would drive an hour to work 4 hours at the hub, then an hour home at night. It took a year in a half to realize I was working my ass off for people who didn’t care about me, didn’t pay me enough, and “putting in time” to get a job that 1. I didn’t even want and 2. Might not even get.

I wanted the $36 an hour after 4 years or whatever. Finally realized I can make that doing what I enjoy doing, not something I hate. But what my breaking point was when I was in the air trailer and got blamed three times in 2 weeks for other people’s mistakes. After having the center manager yell at me and the other sup and get in our way as if his screaming and panicking was going to make the 100+ lb irreg packages get up the stairs/chute and into the air package car any faster, then getting blamed for a envelope that the supervisor misplaced, I put my 2 weeks in.

This was all after I called out one day a couple weeks before. I rarely missed time, yet they treated me as if I always did after that. Even warned me that it was NOT okay to go to your first job and not come to THIS JOB! Oh I didn’t realize people didn’t get sick but have to pay their bills.

The 2nd day of my 2 weeks notice period I overheard that they were surprised I even showed up the day before. That night before, of course they let all the lazy people that only work that job and live with their mom and dad go home and make the guy that works 2 jobs stay the latest. Lol.

After having my trailer get slammed with boxes and I could finally get cleaned up, I get treated as if I had never worked their before and told “what are you doing? Help your neighbor!!!” That was when I walked out and never looked back. Dodged a bullet. Would’ve been a good year in a half till I was eledgible to drive due to a reckless driving ticket 2 years before. Seeing guys who had 4 years in being laid off as drivers was also very discouraging. Their careers being toyed with and uncertain futures always in their head. Met many of drivers who came in after a long day saying how they never get to see their family and that they hate there job. It was so sad.

Anyways, figured I’d share my story with you. As I said, if you enjoy this, then by all means keep doing you. But if you aren’t feeling it, apply your efforts toward something more promising and worthwhile. Thank me later!

BrownThunder

I am just going to go ahead and say it. Quit while you can. Don’t waste your time man. You can go get an easier and better paying job at Uber or Lyft while trying to figure out what you WANT to do for a living. Unless you seriously enjoy the job, you need to quit and go do something different.

I’ll put it like this, if it was early 2000’s or earlier, then it would maybe be worthwhile to stay and retire early or something. But the truth is UPS isn’t what it used to be. I worked here for a year and a half as a part-timer. Worked a solid 10-11 hour day construction, would drive an hour to work 4 hours at the hub, then an hour home at night. It took a year in a half to realize I was working my ass off for people who didn’t care about me, didn’t pay me enough, and “putting in time” to get a job that 1. I didn’t even want and 2. Might not even get.

I wanted the $36 an hour after 4 years or whatever. Finally realized I can make that doing what I enjoy doing, not something I hate. But what my breaking point was when I was in the air trailer and got blamed three times in 2 weeks for other people’s mistakes. After having the center manager yell at me and the other sup and get in our way as if his screaming and panicking was going to make the 100+ lb irreg packages get up the stairs/chute and into the air package car any faster, then getting blamed for a envelope that the supervisor misplaced, I put my 2 weeks in.

This was all after I called out one day a couple weeks before. I rarely missed time, yet they treated me as if I always did after that. Even warned me that it was NOT okay to go to your first job and not come to THIS JOB! Oh I didn’t realize people didn’t get sick but have to pay their bills.

The 2nd day of my 2 weeks notice period I overheard that they were surprised I even showed up the day before. That night before, of course they let all the lazy people that only work that job and live with their mom and dad go home and make the guy that works 2 jobs stay the latest. Lol.

After having my trailer get slammed with boxes and I could finally get cleaned up, I get treated as if I had never worked their before and told “what are you doing? Help your neighbor!!!” That was when I walked out and never looked back. Dodged a bullet. Would’ve been a good year in a half till I was eledgible to drive due to a reckless driving ticket 2 years before. Seeing guys who had 4 years in being laid off as drivers was also very discouraging. Their careers being toyed with and uncertain futures always in their head. Met many of drivers who came in after a long day saying how they never get to see their family and that they hate there job. It was so sad.

Anyways, figured I’d share my story with you. As I said, if you enjoy this, then by all means keep doing you. But if you aren’t feeling it, apply your efforts toward something more promising and worthwhile. Thank me later!

Did you end up finding that "promising and worthwhile" job elsewhere?

I'm really curious. I can't think of too many other places a dummy like me can make six figures with no master's degree.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

fake

Tenpoint88

Did you end up finding that "promising and worthwhile" job elsewhere?

I'm really curious. I can't think of too many other places a dummy like me can make six figures with no master's degree.

Yes, I did. I am a Front End Web Developer. While I’m not making six figures, I am making around 70k a year at the age of 23 with an amazing work life balance. I work from home 2 days a week and typically average 40 hours a week.

I also own a media/apparel company that I started after I quit UPS that is gaining traction, I don’t make much off that because I put that income back into the business, but one day I look to fully concentrate on that.

I agree with you on what you said. Not too many people can go make six figures with no college education ESPECIALLY working for someone else. If you are happy and do not mind the work and the hours, then by all means, stay. It works for some people. My message is for people who are dreading their next morning and day to day life.

I personally am against college education and believe that you can teach yourself everything and more than you would learn with an overpriced piece of paper that took 4 years to get. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Everyone is different, it takes all types to make the world go around. Cheers