Tips and no noes on double parking

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One thing I will say, watch parking in those handicapped spaces. We had a guy, basically gave a cheers with a fountain soda, to a woman screaming at him. Her daughter had ALS and he was blocking the only spot. She took a picture of him giving the cheers, made the paper, not good.

Nah, she was permanently wheelchair bound.

Dude, you need more space to open the wheelchair ramp outta those vans.

It was you, wasn’t it? Lol.

SmithBarney

How I was taught(we didn't mention double parking) If you must block someone, make sure you block them completely because if they think they can squeeze out, they will try and they will hit you.

How I was taught(we didn't mention double parking) If you must block someone, make sure you block them completely because if they think they can squeeze out, they will try and they will hit you.
That’s just the basics. If you must park in a bus stop always park in the front. Some areas you can park in the center turn lane and deliver both sides of the street.

Brisket

Parking in the center lane, and attempting to deliver both sides will undoubtedly get you in serious trouble ( what if the next stop is an over 70? And trying to work that puppy to the back edge of the truck WHILE keeping an eye on oncoming traffic!?) then successfully peeking around the back end of the truck and hoping the vehicle passing you is not as big as yours and not going to hit you?

I’ll pass thanks.

SmithBarney

Bottom Line, use your head. Park in the best/safest location possible. Sometimes center lane is the only option(I have a couple residential city blocks that have a center lane, but no sidewalk, low traffic and center is the only choice.) Sometimes two wheels up on a sidewalk(yup) some times blocking one lane in rural America... use your head, and make the best choice, every stop is different, too many variables.

Parking in the center lane, and attempting to deliver both sides will undoubtedly get you in serious trouble ( what if the next stop is an over 70? And trying to work that puppy to the back edge of the truck WHILE keeping an eye on oncoming traffic!?) then successfully peeking around the back end of the truck and hoping the vehicle passing you is not as big as yours and not going to hit you?

I’ll pass thanks.
I’m talking in a small island town. You have 3 or 4 blocks on Main Street. Traffic runs at the speed of a parking lot.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I deliver to a major city and the best advice I can give is to kinda mesh together your training and common sense. I don’t think I’ve ever parked the same way or in the same spot twice in that city, it’s a war zone.

Think fast, park it, deliver, bounce.

Handicapped spots are a huge no for me, as are bus stops as you are endangering passengers of the bus who must leave the sidewalk to get on the bus.

Brisket

Bottom Line, use your head. Park in the best/safest location possible. Sometimes center lane is the only option(I have a couple residential city blocks that have a center lane, but no sidewalk, low traffic and center is the only choice.) Sometimes two wheels up on a sidewalk(yup) some times blocking one lane in rural America... use your head, and make the best choice, every stop is different, too many variables.

Not according to UPS, I would rather walk it off, or pick a time where it’s not so busy, throw on the hazards, and DR that puppy as swift as possible ( blocking the travel lane, let em go around).

WorknLateHuh

I literally never have these problems. I see maybe 20 cars all day long as i'm bouncing down dirt roads. Although, i do park up on sidewalks and in front of hydrants all the time.

rod

Retired 22 years
That’s just the basics. If you must park in a bus stop always park in the front. Some areas you can park in the center turn lane and deliver both sides of the street.

There is a tourist trap town close to me where every delivery truck parks in the middle of the street---there isn't even a middle turning lane. That's the way its always been.

john chesney

I guess this is just something I'll have to learn as I go, but it's probably the one thing that I'm anxious about. For a new guy, what advice would you give for double parking in downtown areas or just tight areas. Parking in general.
I’m retired now and spent a lifetime in that truck and when I go to Pittsburgh I still look around and say how in the hell do you deliver in this mess. I still can’t figure it out