Tips and no noes on double parking

I guess this is just something I'll have to learn as I go, but it's probably the one thing that I'm anxious about. For a new guy, what advice would you give for double parking in downtown areas or just tight areas. Parking in general.

Brisket

Don’t double park, and if the spot to park is that tight, find another spot, not worth the potential being hit while parked and / or blocked in.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I work in a densely populated downtown area, therefore I double park all day every day.
Put your hazards on and if you can, get a cone from your building and place it behind your package car when parked. Pull in your mirror when you stop so no one hits it going by. Most people understand you are working and there isn’t a parking spot for that giant package car. For the rare occasions someone gets mad at me for double parking, I just laugh and ask them if it looks like I’m parked here for fun? Do they have a better suggestion for me to park this giant truck?

I guess this is just something I'll have to learn as I go, but it's probably the one thing that I'm anxious about. For a new guy, what advice would you give for double parking in downtown areas or just tight areas. Parking in general.
Take notice where other drivers are parking when driving through downtown.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I work in a densely populated downtown area, therefore I double park all day every day.
Put your hazards on and if you can, get a cone from your building and place it behind your package car when parked. Pull in your mirror when you stop so no one hits it going by. Most people understand you are working and there isn’t a parking spot for that giant package car. For the rare occasions someone gets mad at me for double parking, I just laugh and ask them if it looks like I’m parked here for fun? Do they have a better suggestion for me to park this giant truck?
If they're especially worked up, I ask them if they need a hug

Brisket

And when offloading, watch your back in case someone isn’t paying attention, you never know.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's when delivering a small town is nice. I used to double park in front of the Police station and the fire hall. All the Chief of police cared about was if he got his fishing stuff. I also parked on the side walk many times. I once had a new rookie cop who was going to write me a ticket. I asked him to follow me over to the Cop Shop. Once there the Chief told him to lay off the delivery trucks in town ---no problem after that.

That's when delivering a small town is nice. I used to double park in front of the Police station and the fire hall. All the Chief of police cared about was if he got his fishing stuff. I also parked on the side walk many times. I once had a new rookie cop who was going to write me a ticket. I asked him to follow me over to the Cop Shop. Once there the Chief told him to lay off the delivery trucks in town ---no problem after that.
You can do that in the bigger cities too. Many of the cops are teamsters. Just be careful parking rentals in front of federal buildings.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

If they're especially worked up, I ask them if they need a hug

Anytime someone starts yelling about my park job I just shrug my shoulders and tell them I’m broke down, won’t be done til 10 o’clock tonight, mechanic is stuck in traffic. Pretty much instantly defuses the situation.

Until I pull up next to them at the next red light.......

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I used to double park on the main street of a small town that was a fairly busy secondary road. A guy pulled up on my bumper once, and started to blow his horn. The police chief got up from his coffee in the cafe across the street, and cited the guy for violating the noise ordinance.

Anytime someone starts yelling about my park job I just shrug my shoulders and tell them I’m broke down, won’t be done til 10 o’clock tonight, mechanic is stuck in traffic. Pretty much instantly defuses the situation.

Until I pull up next to them at the next red light.......

And then you throw a doughnut at them?

Meter maid tickets are parking tickets ups pays them. A cop ticketing you is usually blocking traffic of some sort. Probably a moving violation. And may result in an tow.