Tips and techniques for defending a driver at panel.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Noone's ever been fired based just on the numbers. Whenever you hear about one of these "production" terminations being upheld there's always a lot more going on.

By The Book

Isn't that why you should always work at the same pace even when OJS'd? Granted, I'm not a driver, but I have been OJS'd a handful of times after filing grievances (PT sup stalks you with a stopwatch and clipboard for 4 hours). I'll be damned if I'm gonna move faster because I'm being watched....I'm not gonna give them numbers to hang me with.
Retaliation/harassment, and you handle it well.

badsporh

He who is not with us, is against us.
*Big vote no advocate in PA

*Declared candidacy for Principal Officer

*Defended driver at center level against unjust cardinal sin discharge, argued it as methods and instructions instead......this pissed off the DISTRICT Labor manager who was present at the center level hearing

*three weeks later Labor and BA talk and Labor allegedly tells BA that they'll give driver who was fired his job back if the Shop Steward who argued for him at center level hearing is not present or a part of it, she agrees to this request

*the day that they convene to give the fired driver his job back, after the meeting they immediately call Shop Steward to office and suspend him for 3 days for forgetting to do DIAD training.......something nobody had ever been disciplined for before

*2 weeks later he is OJS'd

*1 week later over 3 consecutive days he is suspended for 10 days for a very minor accident and discharged twice as a result of OJS follow up ride

That's the whole story

barnyard

KTM rider
So the company covered their butt by following progressive discipline for minor infractions. Wow. Going to be a hard battle to fight.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
"labor managers....are not going to waste their time on something they cannot win."

Funniest thing I've read all week.

UPS constantly takes cases that should have never left the center manager's office and drags them to the panel, and even further if they can get away with it. Anyone who suggests otherwise has never came out of their office or waited almost a year on a green check for a crystal clear contract violation.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

So what.

Again.... So what.

*Defended driver at center level against unjust cardinal sin discharge

Any Steward "worth his salt" would do the same.... Right ?

*three weeks later Labor and BA talk and Labor allegedly tells BA that they'll give driver who was fired his job back if the Shop Steward who argued for him at center level hearing is not present or a part of it, she agrees to this request

This is starting to make sense.

*the day that they convene to give the fired driver his job back, after the meeting they immediately call Shop Steward to office and suspend him for 3 days for forgetting to do DIAD training.......something nobody had ever been disciplined for before

Without a written warning.... and a Local hearing.

Hmm.

*1 week later over 3 consecutive days he is suspended for 10 days for a very minor accident and discharged twice as a result of OJS follow up ride

That's the whole story

That might be the "story".... you have been told.

-Bug-

badsporh

So what.

Again.... So what.

Any Steward "worth his salt" would do the same.... Right ?

This is starting to make sense.

Without a written warning.... and a Local hearing.

Hmm.

That might be the "story".... you have been told.

-Bug-
The "allegedly" doesn't refer to whether or not the District Labor manager and the BA actually talked about this, it refers to whether it was the Labor guys idea as the BA alleged

The minor accident was at a gas station involving damaging the hose at the pump while fueling resulting in a claim by the station which resulted in a charged accident

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've been there, my sporh usually went down when they rode with me. This guy is a 26 year driver, 16 year shop steward he's got no excuse for not knowing how to do the job. If he's not working the same pace without a sup as he does with one then he's doing something wrong. I'm aware that they can do things like set up the load, help you carry packages, hold the door for you, etc but like I said, 16 year steward he should know to be documenting that stuff as well as the fact that he had different areas. Based on what you've told us I don't see how the company actually wins this one.

Agreed, plus, once they "do things like set up the load, help you carry packages, hold the door for you" they invalidate the ride for sporh, and they know this as well.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
15 SPOHR lock in, 13 SPOHR average over 12 working days after ride.
Different #'s of stops, NDA's and, areas

30 inch selection area is shelf space directly behind bulk head door that driver is expected to slide all work into
2 stops an hour less while unsupervised is a great deal of time,and I would be doing a great deal of digging to A) explain where this time is going B)find the differences between the OJS days and the following two week(packages,miles,area,NDA,etc)

Overpaid Union Thug

*Defended driver at center level against unjust cardinal sin discharge, argued it as methods and instructions instead......this pissed off the DISTRICT Labor manager who was present at the center level hearing

*2 weeks later he is OJS'd

That's the whole story

This is starting to sound like a retaliation case (in addition to an Article 6 violation) to me.

badsporh

The NLRB charges are nice to be able for him to be able to fall back on if Panel decides to throw this Steward under the bus......The charges are filed against the District Labor manager too, so if the Panels decision is deemed repugnant to the Act by the NLRB there could be some egg on that suits face!....and on the members of the Panel