Tips for new drivers!

OptimusPrime

Always pre-trip! Most split drivers are too lazy to write up problems.View attachment 160754

Wrong, WRONG, and wrong. It's the snowflake bid drivers quaking in their boots they might not have "my truck" for a day or two. Go to cover a route. Hmm, gas gauge doesn't work. Steering has six inches of slop so the truck wanders all over the place. Seat belt doesn't latch properly. Bulkhead door doesn't open unless you say a specific prayer under the new moon. Rear door doesn't actually lock. (Had an old timer pissed I wrote this up. "That's the way I like it!") Drove a truck that didn't have 2nd gear, route guy told me I should "make do" instead of writing it. Don't put this crap on swing guys.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
cosmo1 said:
Precious.
Newbies giving newbies career advice.
I am a new driver and was hired off the street as an ft package driver. I spent 15 years of my career working for some of the largest FCs and DCs on the east cost.
I have delivered, received, sorted, picked, packed, shipped, been in Inventory control, Ran shipping and delivered. I remember the days of paper and pen pick lists and Ups pickups when most people (including myself) didn't even know what an rf gun was or how to generate a barcode.
In my time in distribution I really have watched the way the whole industry has instituted technology and not always in a positive way, I.E. - Orion use in heavily populated areas.
It doesn't take a veteran to know that criss- crossing 4 lane roads and trying to get to a 7,000 in your fully loaded package car works rural, but is a waste of time in the city when all you got to do is run rdo.
I follow trace but I don't hesitate to break trace if I know it doesn't make sense and I run my stops in a way that effectively links one section of my route to the next.
I knock out the little neighborhoods I have nda in while im there and I'm not going to back track a mile towards nowhere to deliver one even number package I can cross the street for. Management hasn't said anything to me about how I run my route probably because I was scratching in 4 days and hitting all my air, commits and buisnesses.
I guess what im trying to say is just because someone is new and doesnt have 5 years + on preload waiting their turn to drive doesn't disqualify them. Sop and common sense is almost a universal requirement in logistics and lots of non Ups people have worked in 130 degree + trailers and dealt with all the bull:censored2: this industry has to offer.
Pc/ feeder driver is the logical progression for someone like me and I love Ups and value the friendships I have developed with pc drivers at the centers I have worked at.
I would have loved to put in my grunt work at Ups, but wasn't going to drive 1 hr for 4hr worth of work and a 10 year wait to drive, I had a family to feed.
Just because someone is new doesn't mean they don't have value, experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I am a new driver and was hired off the street as an ft package driver. I spent 15 years of my career working for some of the largest FCs and DCs on the east cost.
I have delivered, received, sorted, picked, packed, shipped, been in Inventory control, Ran shipping and delivered. I remember the days of paper and pen pick lists and Ups pickups when most people (including myself) didn't even know what an rf gun was or how to generate a barcode.
In my time in distribution I really have watched the way the whole industry has instituted technology and not always in a positive way, I.E. - Orion use in heavily populated areas.
It doesn't take a veteran to know that criss- crossing 4 lane roads and trying to get to a 7,000 in your fully loaded package car works rural, but is a waste of time in the city when all you got to do is run rdo.
I follow trace but I don't hesitate to break trace if I know it doesn't make sense and I run my stops in a way that effectively links one section of my route to the next.
I knock out the little neighborhoods I have nda in while im there and I'm not going to back track a mile towards nowhere to deliver one even number package I can cross the street for. Management hasn't said anything to me about how I run my route probably because I was scratching in 4 days and hitting all my air, commits and buisnesses.
I guess what im trying to say is just because someone is new and doesnt have 5 years + on preload waiting their turn to drive doesn't disqualify them. Sop and common sense is almost a universal requirement in logistics and lots of non Ups people have worked in 130 degree + trailers and dealt with all the bull:censored2: this industry has to offer.
Pc/ feeder driver is the logical progression for someone like me and I love Ups and value the friendships I have developed with pc drivers at the centers I have worked at.
I would have loved to put in my grunt work at Ups, but wasn't going to drive 1 hr for 4hr worth of work and a 10 year wait to drive, I had a family to feed.
Just because someone is new doesn't mean they don't have value, experience and knowledge.

Umm ok

1. Tl;dr
2. You take :censored2: way too personal especially from the didlos on this website.
3. Smoke some weed

Ms.PacMan

PZN9o1.gif
I remember this video on the news. It's in Honolulu during peak a couple yrs ago.