Tired of delivering Pottery Barn boxes

rushfan

I had 14 Pottery Barn call tags each for 43 lbs. I was dreading the pickup all day. When I showed up, thank goodness the weights were all wrong as the boxes were about 28 by 6 by 28 and weighed about 15 lbs. Just think of all the energy I wasted complaining to myself all day about the call tags.

MSGTDEL

I hated Pottery Barn when I was a driver. You would think that UPS Freight would handle that volume. At P'dale, there are two 24" vans that are loaded with just PB each night and delivered to stores in the Atlanta area the following day.

Last edited:

MSGTDEL

Originally Posted by 1989
If you have 90 to 120 computer boxes (4 or 5 on a cart) going to the 55th floor (If you have 2 carts 8 or 10 a trip) load them up, wheel them to the freight elev. (hopefully you were able to park at the loading dock) Wait for the freight. (hopefully you can fit both carts on the elevator, and you you arn't waiting in line.) Stop 2 or 3 times on the way up. Goto the mailroom or reception on the 55th floor, find out they want them on the 57th floor. Wait for the freight again, goto the 57th floor. Wheel them down the maze of hallways, unload them. Wait for the frieght again, head back down, stopping 3 or 4 times. Reload and go up again. If you only have one handtruck this takes up to 4 hours. 2 1/2 hours with 2 carts at a time. (average about 15 or 20 minutes a trip) The time adds up.

1989, where was this delivery?

Originally Posted by 1989
If you have 90 to 120 computer boxes (4 or 5 on a cart) going to the 55th floor (If you have 2 carts 8 or 10 a trip) load them up, wheel them to the freight elev. (hopefully you were able to park at the loading dock) Wait for the freight. (hopefully you can fit both carts on the elevator, and you you arn't waiting in line.) Stop 2 or 3 times on the way up. Goto the mailroom or reception on the 55th floor, find out they want them on the 57th floor. Wait for the freight again, goto the 57th floor. Wheel them down the maze of hallways, unload them. Wait for the frieght again, head back down, stopping 3 or 4 times. Reload and go up again. If you only have one handtruck this takes up to 4 hours. 2 1/2 hours with 2 carts at a time. (average about 15 or 20 minutes a trip) The time adds up.

1989, where was this delivery?

701 5th ave Seattle 98104

MSGTDEL

I had a 24" van loaded with gateways. I pre-scanned them in the building before going to this law office with them. I was fortunate that it was on the same level and took about 3 hours from start to finish. Was very glad to get that off.

Corrin

Pottery Barn/William Sonoma is a $50 million account for UPS. And being as they ship seemingly random things (From couches to pottery to boxes filled with sand), we are supposed to baby every godlike PB box we get. We used to run PB/WS during the regular shift, until we nearly lost that account due to damages (Something about how the couches wouldn't fit out the trailer).

Then it switched over to another shift in our Hub 1.5 (They process air and a couple of other trailers, right down the street from the real building). Finally, a year after this, they brought it back to the main hub in our area and ran it after shift in an air shack. This resulted in UPS giving huge amounts of OT to the part time workers on the day sort.

I myself was getting an extra 10-20 hours a week doing these trailers after the regular 5-6 hour shift. This happened for about 5 months, beginning almost immediately after peak season. Naturally, this couldn't last, and they banished it back to the twilight shift, to be done during their regular sort. They now use a special wooden dock and two bay doors to get all the couches and other oversized boxes out of the trailers.

Of course, couches are just the baseline. We have gotten fully assembled tables in boxes too. These have to be delivered in the Big Berthas or even a regular semi trailer.