Today is the day I Retired

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The part of the story that I didn't share is when by the time I sold my condo my son had paid the $73K down to $57K. I offered him a 0% interest loan, which I later forgave, of $51K which I applied directly to his student loans. I was able to set up a temporary user ID and password to pay directly toward the principal. His employer offers repayment of up to $6K of student loan ($100/month for 5 years) so we made sure to leave a balance of $6K. He just has to pay the roughly $30/month in interest.

Of course, what you do for one you have to do for the other, so I gave my daughter $51K in several installments from my IRA. The $51K I gave to my son was part of the proceeds from the sale of my condo.

His fiance still has a lot of SLD but if she stays with her current employer they will pay off her balance in full after 10 years of employment. As you can imagine they (my son and his fiance) are paying the minimum to keep the accounts current.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
That's old school and we did the same thing with our children.

when they would whine about another kid in school getting the newest gizmo or car from mommie and daddy I would just tell them to get a job. of course they didnt like it at the time but now they are all in their 30's and have nice cars and some bought houses on their own. They laugh at their peers that still live at home or need constant help from their folks.

BTW , I learned this from my parents of course who grew up during the Great Depression. My grandparents grew up in hard times also in the Old Country and came to America for better opportunities and learned if you want something in life you better goddam work for it.
Happy Mother's Day to you! You're a down to Earth good person. Hope it's a great day for you and the family. :)

rod

Retired 22 years
I was raised where I could have anything I wanted- as long as I paid for it myself. Other than my first bike I can’t think of anything other than the basics (food- clothes-shelter that was bought for me. I bought my first mo-ped in the 5th grade and every car and motorcycle I’ve owned. And paid for my own gas and insurance. Only one time did Dad put 5 bucks worth of gas in my car. I thought l had won the lottery. Uncle Sam paid for my college. I let him off cheap- only went for a little over a year.

I was raised where I could have anything I wanted- as long as I paid for it myself. Other than my first bike I can’t think of anything other than the basics (food- clothes-shelter that was bought for me. I bought my first mo-ped in the 5th grade and every car and motorcycle I’ve owned. And paid for my own gas and insurance. Only one time did Dad put 5 bucks worth of gas in my car. I thought l had won the lottery. Uncle Sam paid for my college. I let him off cheap- only went for a little over a year.
You appreciate things a little bit more when you earn them yourself.

and I believe that's why we had so many people on welfare today they want everything handed to him

rod

Retired 22 years
You appreciate things a little bit more when you earn them yourself.

and I believe that's why we had so many people on welfare today they want everything handed to him
That and they believe welfare is a profession because that is how ma and grandma raised their families. I had my share of welfare families on my route and I don't think many of them would take a job if you offered it to them (unless it was as a drug dealer or thief).

That and they believe welfare is a profession because that is how ma and grandma raised their families. I had my share of welfare families on my route and I don't think many of them would take a job if you offered it to them (unless it was as a drug dealer or thief).
Yes sir, generation after generation

quad decade guy

Ok. What job did you have in the 5th grade(mo-ped?)

I have lived my life the way I did because I got to watch my Dad have a stroke at 39 and die an 18 year miserable death. I vowed to try and do the most and best I could. I tried to let my kid experience high school and college without working as I knew there would be plenty of time for work. She repaid in straight A's and a Masters(working Summers of course). I have no regrets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should be very proud of her and even more proud of yourself for putting your family ahead of yourself.

We will have to agree to disagree on working past one's retirement date just to make sure our kids start their lives debt free.

quad decade guy

You should be very proud of her and even more proud of yourself for putting your family ahead of yourself.

We will have to agree to disagree on working past one's retirement date just to make sure our kids start their lives debt free.

I'm sorry "one's retirement date"? Where can I find that written in stone? If you get your SS statement(or at least you used to get one in the mail) it had a "customary retirement date" or some such. I watched it go from 62 to 65 to the last time of 67. With all respect-what is this age or date? Eligibility is not mandatory. You realize this-right? This isn't Logans Run. Right...?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sorry "one's retirement date"? Where can I find that written in stone? If you get your SS statement(or at least you used to get one in the mail) it had a "customary retirement date" or some such. I watched it go from 62 to 65 to the last time of 67. With all respect-what is this age or date? Eligibility is not mandatory. You realize this-right? This isn't Logans Run. Right...?

One's retirement date in a union gig is the date that you become eligible to receive your pension.

Give it a few years and the 67 that you spoke of will get closer to 70.

quad decade guy

One's retirement date in a union gig is the date that you become eligible to receive your pension.

Give it a few years and the 67 that you spoke of will get closer to 70.

Ok. And? It seems to be as relevant as a passing cloud.

So, you have said repeatedly you would "certainly never work past that date..." like it's required. You can jump off or stay on the gravy train, so to speak. Seems to me.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok. What job did you have in the 5th grade(mo-ped?)

I have lived my life the way I did because I got to watch my Dad have a stroke at 39 and die an 18 year miserable death. I vowed to try and do the most and best I could. I tried to let my kid experience high school and college without working as I knew there would be plenty of time for work. She repaid in straight A's and a Masters(working Summers of course). I have no regrets.
I stared working when I was in 4th grade. I had a paper route after school. The summer between 4th and 5th grade I got a job shoveling :censored2: at a mink ranch. That job paid good money for back then. If I recall right I got 6 bucks a day. I also worked for my dad cleaning business machines at his Office supply business after school and during the summers when I got to Jr. High. I also ran a trap line during trapping season in the woods and ponds behind my house in 5th and 6th grade. That got me 25 cents a muskrat hide. Other than about 3 months when I got out of the service and wanted to raise a little hell I've had some kind of job from 4th grade up until 2 years ago when I retired from my township job. That's 61 years of work . That's enough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok. And? It seems to be as relevant as a passing cloud.

So, you have said repeatedly you would "certainly never work past that date..." like it's required. You can jump off or stay on the gravy train, so to speak. Seems to me.

Never said it was required. It is my own personal choice.

Now, if either of my kids were to have found themselves in a situation in which there were no other alternatives I would have certainly kept working in order to help them out.

Working beyond my retirement eligible date (better?) was not an option for me.

My former center manager had the same mindset as you. He also had a daughter and he would do anything in the world for her. He is going to work beyond his retirement eligible date in order to ensure that she gets her Masters and starts her professional life debt free.

rod

Retired 22 years
As far as I know its still 62 1/2 if you want to collect early--- but everyone now should wait until at least 70 to apply so its still there for me.

Last edited:
As far as I know its still 62 if you want to collect early--- but everyone now should wait until at least 70 to apply so its still there for me.
Social security is not a easy number to figure out especially if you have a spouse.
Every year you went to collect you get about an 8% increase but on the other hand how long are you going live?