Today is the day I Retired

Shiftless

That's right! 05/05/05

Hard to believe I retired on this date 15 years ago!

Now here soon I am going to have to sign up for medicare!

When I was 49 and retired I thought "WOW LUCKY ME"! Glad I stuck it out!

I planned on early retirement, something I hoped would stay intact and provide for my Family and so far it hasn't missed a beat!

I feel fortunate to be a Teamster and to have worked at UPS! Sure the work can be tough! It can fun as well! It's all what you make of it!

If you have not retired? Steady your pace, you will get there! It's just as much a mental game as a physical one. The reward at the end may be hard earned, but well worth it!

To those already retired? I can see you chuckling already!

Shiftless

Wont be the first place I have been kicked out of!

Besides, this place must be suspect as you have to wonder what kind of place would allow me in anyway!

Sin Searly,
Nucking Futz

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
That's right! 05/05/05

I planned on early retirement, something I hoped would stay intact and provide for my Family and so far it hasn't missed a beat!

I feel fortunate to be a Teamster and to have worked at UPS! Sure the work can be tough! It can fun as well! It's all what you make of it!

If you have not retired? Steady your pace, you will get there! It's just as much a mental game as a physical one. The reward at the end may be hard earned, but well worth it!

How is it you were able to retire at 49? Medical retirement? What was your hire date? Congratulations to you.

You're signing up for SS/Medicare now? What's that like? You just head to the social security office or do it online?

Last edited:

Shiftless

How is it you were able to retire at 49? Medical retirement? What was your hire date? Congratulations to you.

Western Conference of Teamsters. When I retired you had to be 50 years old to keep health insurance at that time.

I left 05/05/05 but was still actually an employee being paid yet considered retired and never coming back.

Under the WCT contract you could save vacation and sick days till the cows came home. I was hardly ever sick and saved a bunch of vacation that went on for a long time, well past my birthday.

Highly recommend it if you are allowed to do so! Makes for a nice security blanket if it gets needed for an event prior to retirement.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's right! 05/05/05

I just don't understand the people that work years after they can retire. 5-10-15 more years after they can go out. poor planning or masochists.

BigMoney

I am in the Western Conference and got out at 51.I have been out 38 months and have enjoyed every minute and would not have changed a thing.I am all for people working past retirement so they can keep my pension strong.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Western Conference of Teamsters. When I retired you had to be 50 years old to keep health insurance at that time.

I left 05/05/05 but was still actually an employee being paid yet considered retired and never coming back.

Under the WCT contract you could save vacation and sick days till the cows came home. I was hardly ever sick and saved a bunch of vacation that went on for a long time, well past my birthday.

Highly recommend it if you are allowed to do so! Makes for a nice security blanket if it gets needed for an event prior to retirement.

You did good young man.

quad decade guy

I just don't understand the people that work years after they can retire. 5-10-15 more years after they can go out. poor planning or masochists.

Let's review. I started at 18 yo. Went full time at 19 yo. I now have 39 years and counting. Our conference has 25,30,35 and out etc. What that means: 25 & out must be 57 or incur a $500 per month penalty-$2500(before taxes)-$2500-500=$2000(before taxes)(cannot BUY insurance until 57). Sound good? My conference only provides the opportunity to BUY private insurance. I have lived an average life, I believe. My Dad became disabled when I was 7, he never worked again. My Mom was the earner and had a decent not great job and did very well for a blue collar woman through the 70's and 80's. I didn't miss a meal and actually lived somewhat comfortably. My Mom deserves a Medal for grit and courage. So, what that means is that I didn't get much help saving to buy a house etc. or from GrandPa etc. My life has been pretty average. Still married after 30 years and 1 child. My wife stayed home until my child started public school. My wife works at a public school as a secretary and therefore doesn't make a whole lot etc. What does all that mean? I'd say we are pretty average for blue collar America.

Why am I still at UPS? Up until maybe 2 years ago(really even now), we were still feeling the effects of having a child: helped them(her, husband) buy a house, sold them my paid off truck at a criminal discount, paid for my kid's college etc. I do these things because I wanted my kid to have it better than I did and to give back. I am not complaining.

In my late 50's now and just now can breathe and have us time. I have a sleeper run and swimming in extra money(see above). It truly is wondrous. I feel calm even amidst all that is going on. IF everything that has been promised and earned comes to pass, I will live financially comfortable until death. My plan is to retire at 67 and draw SS and Medicare and my pension. Bad planning, masochistic? IDK. To me, it's been what everyone that I've ever known has done. Very few exceptions.

Why am I still at UPS? Money and benefits. I stand to make a couple million before retirement(as of now). We'll see. I'm not ready to take a $7k pay cut every month(approximate). If I quit, I'll have to work or drastically change my lifestyle. I LIKE having nice things and my hobbies.

Anyway, that's how it is.

BigMoney

I am a believer in doing things for yourself as far as buying a car,house or paying for collage because i think you appreciate it more when you work for it and is not given to you.I am not against other people giving there kids things such as this but i never did it and my kids on standing on there own with houses and cars that i did not help them with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a believer in doing things for yourself as far as buying a car,house or paying for collage because i think you appreciate it more when you work for it and is not given to you.I am not against other people giving there kids things such as this but i never did it and my kids on standing on there own with houses and cars that i did not help them with.

There are good points on both sides of this discussion.

While it is nice if you have the means to help your kids, there is something to be said for your kids "having some skin in the game". I most certainly would never work beyond my normal retirement age just to make sure my kids graduated from college debt free.

I have two children and the way that my ex and I paid for college was we would split the first 50/50 between us and the other three years in thirds between us and the kid. Our daughter followed the plan to a T and graduated with roughly $23K in student loan debt. Our son had a little too much fun his freshman year and was asked not to return for his sophomore year. We cut off the checkbook, he moved back in with me and graduated from community college, 4 year school and grad school, with honors, all on his own dime. He graduated with roughly $73K in SLD but has an amazing job with a bright future.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's old school and we did the same thing with our children.

when they would whine about another kid in school getting the newest gizmo or car from mommie and daddy I would just tell them to get a job. of course they didnt like it at the time but now they are all in their 30's and have nice cars and some bought houses on their own. They laugh at their peers that still live at home or need constant help from their folks.

BTW , I learned this from my parents of course who grew up during the Great Depression. My grandparents grew up in hard times also in the Old Country and came to America for better opportunities and learned if you want something in life you better goddam work for it.

quad decade guy

There are good points on both sides of this discussion.

While it is nice if you have the means to help your kids, there is something to be said for your kids "having some skin in the game". I most certainly would never work beyond my normal retirement age just to make sure my kids graduated from college debt free.

I have two children and the way that my ex and I paid for college was we would split the first 50/50 between us and the other three years in thirds between us and the kid. Our daughter followed the plan to a T and graduated with roughly $23K in student loan debt. Our son had a little too much fun his freshman year and was asked not to return for his sophomore year. We cut off the checkbook, he moved back in with me and graduated from community college, 4 year school and grad school, with honors, all on his own dime. He graduated with roughly $73K in SLD but has an amazing job with a bright future.

It's nice to have a discussion without the bitter hatred found on general UPS discussion found elsewhere on BC.

Given the gravity of the news on student debt, I can't imagine having $73k in debt as a positive. I am not being critical. To me it's not any different than say $73k in credit card debt(albeit better interest terms). That said, to each his own. What has driven me for the last 30 years is that (1) my daughter did not ask to be put on this earth, (2) I've been very fortunate and want to give back and share.

I don't plan on working past "normal" retirement age either. As I understand it, that's age 67. To me, my life is quite normal. As far as having a stake in her future, my daughter has a better platform than many and what I had. I'm satisfied I did my part. Her part? Well...She just completed her Masters in education. So far so good. Everyone in my immediate and extended family worked until retirement age(generally unless dying prematurely) lived for 10-20 years and passed away. This is "normal" as I have observed and I'm on track to do just that. We'll see.