Tom

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have this employee that is hardcore union, let's call him Tom. He's the first one to ask who is watching the sups work and if he catches someone working he is sure to let everyone know. He is also the guy that says, "Hey Jimmy I would file on that." He annoys me and I have my crew of 19 year olds give him a hard to time because, honestly I just don't like him. Anyhow we had our grievance meetings and after the crooked stewards dropped all the girevances for their own personal gain, I began to insert the dropped grievances in the grievance book. I started thinking, I have never heard a grievance that Tom filed. I looked back almost fours years, not one. So the next day Tom is doing his usual walk around before the sort and naturally I am precharging the inbound (Sups unloading trailers). Tom says "Hey what do you guys think you are doing" I appeared out of the shadows and said "what does it look like they are doing?" Tom replied I'm going to file, I had a grievance form handy and gave it to him and said go ahead. Now Tom dashed to the nearest union gathering point to get a witness, but by the time he got back the sups were already done. I thought this would be an interesting story for on here because I think alot of you are like Tom, You may talk on here like you file, but in reality you don't.....

no love,
UPSSOCKS

I would love to work with you for just 1 night! I would break you of your holier than god complex!

I can't stand grievance happy people. Was told I should've filed one because I delivered a single ground package as an air driver. Why? All for an extra $28? Wow. Greater satisfaction that someone who has been waiting for their package got it.

Would you have a problem if they sent you home and used a part time exception driver who makes less per hour to deliver your work? No where in article 40 does it allow an air driver to deliver grounds. Only speaks on exception pick ups. You as an air drive are not allowed to and I would have filed to get the senior package driver paid for you doing the work. Call it nit picky now, but if allowed it would spread to where none of us would have these jobs anymore. Give an inch they take a yard.

I agree with tieguy on this one. There are upsers who are service minded and thats great. I think if this is a once in a while problem that happens. Like one or two packages a month. Not a big big deal. Same thing that goes to supervisors that lets say tape a package or make service for a package by loading in. Same thing once in a while. But when it comes to being a few times a week thing then we have problems and thats where the contract comes in. .

I agree 100 percent. An occasional occurance is one thing, blatant everyday violations is another and the small infractions should be grieved.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have this employee that is hardcore union,

maybe the reason he is hard core union, is because you are hard core idiot? but more on that later. and to think, you had actually posted something i agreed with a few days back

let's call him Tom. He's the first one to ask who is watching the sups work and if he catches someone working he is sure to let everyone know.

why not, openness is a good thing. transparency, like obama says.

He is also the guy that says, "Hey Jimmy I would file on that." He annoys me and I have my crew of 19 year olds give him a hard to time because

ah, another fine example as to why ups will always need a union. not only are you a very ugly person, you are to chicken***** to do your own dirty work, so you get your part time sups to do it? what a guy!

honestly I just don't like him.

i think if you were really honest, you really dont like anybody.

Anyhow we had our grievance meetings and after the crooked stewards dropped all the girevances for their own personal gain

ah, another fine example of our fearless leader telling us everybody else is crooked, but he is the standard of integrity we all need to follow as an example.

I began to insert the dropped grievances in the grievance book. I started thinking, I have never heard a grievance that Tom filed. I looked back almost fours years, not one. So the next day Tom is doing his usual walk around before the sort and naturally I am precharging the inbound (Sups unloading trailers).

another fine example of why we need the contract. sups/managers like you intentionally violate the contract, and then you cry about the constant supply of paperwork headed your way

Tom says "Hey what do you guys think you are doing" I appeared out of the shadows and said "what does it look like they are doing?" Tom replied I'm going to file, I had a grievance form handy and gave it to him and said go ahead. Now Tom dashed to the nearest union gathering point to get a witness, but by the time he got back the sups were already done. I thought this would be an interesting story for on here because I think alot of you are like Tom, You may talk on here like you file, but in reality you don't.....

and i find it an interesting story because i think a bunch of you sups talk crap, but in reality you dont. so i guess it works both ways, dont it?

shame i didnt have you in my center.....

I think brown eyed girl exemplifies the mindset of a lot of service minded upsers.
a law is only a law if the public fully supports it.

tie, there are so many examples to the contrary. I know what you are trying to say, but you are off base.

i this case, the public, hourly employees and building management, gave their personal right to have a say on this to the negotiating committee. they, and they alone, had the legal right to decide what laws to include in the contract. because you and i gave them that right, we gave up ours to agree or disagree with it.

Most upsers will support a law or contract language they agree with.
many do not agree with all language in the book.

what we feel has no bearing on the issue, the contents in the book were agreed to by people way above both of our paygrades. what we agree or disagree on really is not the issue. if there are contents of the contract that need to be addressed, then both sides have that right at any time.

many feel there is some language in the book that violates their personal service or ethics beliefs. ethics being they don't feel they should get paid to do nothing.

tie, during my years at ups, they never had an issue with asking me to violate several of my personal ethics beliefs. if they dont want the money, then they can donate it to a worthy cause.

the bottom line is this, and it was made very plain in the 1.5 mil settlement paperwork. ups is interested in making money. they will bury their integrity to save a few bucks, do it on a chronic basis, and claim they had to do so because of an emergency, or special needs.

you and i both know that this is one of the most abused portions of the contract, and many sups make a game of it to violate the contract at the slightest whim, even planing to do so days in advance to make the numbers look good.

im not talking here of a nda letter that has abc's payroll, that was found under the belts after the drivers were gone. im talking about dozens of stops, sometimes hundreds of stops, out of one center, that are deliberately delivered by management, all the while trying to hid or deny what is happening.

so yes, there are times when a sup can legitimately deliver a package, but only after reasonable options are exhausted.

i am, and always, was about service. thats all we have. but too many times managers want to lie about operational efficiency like this post suggests.
naturally I am precharging the inbound (Sups unloading trailers).
this is the type of manager that gives the rest a serious black eye.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In the past I have told you that I punish those who file grievances

ya wanna dance with me there huckleberry? cause you see, i fear no evil, and you are about as evil as evil gets. but i bet most of it is talk, kinda like the boys over beer.

but i would love to see you try and punish me..............or for that matter, any employee that works for you that i would represent.

d

unionman

ya wanna dance with me there huckleberry? cause you see, i fear no evil, and you are about as evil as evil gets. but i bet most of it is talk, kinda like the boys over beer.

but i would love to see you try and punish me..............or for that matter, any employee that works for you that i would represent.

d
Get him dannyboy, I'll hold your beer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
unionman is it not funny how two people that have vast differences, come together to face a tyrant?

make it a diet dew;)

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think brown eyed girl exemplifies the mindset of a lot of service minded upsers.
a law is only a law if the public fully supports it.
Most upsers will support a law or contract language they agree with.
many do not agree with all language in the book.
many feel there is some language in the book that violates their personal service or ethics beliefs. ethics being they don't feel they should get paid to do nothing.

Oh please, give me a break.
That is pure manusha.
We're not talking about getting something for nothing.
The issue was Brown Eyed Girl getting the pay differential for delivering ground as an air driver.
This is provided for contractually and she shouldn't have to ask for it.
99.99999% of the work force would love to make more money.
Being service minded has nothing to do with it, but in this instance she could have both provided the service and got the extra money.
What this all boils down to is the fact that these employees are SCARED!!!
Nothing else, just scared.
They are either scared of being retaliated against for grieving, or scared that they will no longer be offered this extra work.
If you work in my building you might as well ask for the top rate because I will most definitely file for the pay also, at time and a half.
It will never be profitable for the company to use air drivers in this way in my building.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Great now you got 705 worked up, tomorrow he will attempt to punish his management team for all alleged infractions posted here.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Great now you got 705 worked up, tomorrow he will attempt to punish his management team for all alleged infractions posted here.

I do not punish anyone, they punish themselves. If they violate the contract its not my fault! I did not ask them to do it. My management team has enough problems attempting to live by the contract, so much so I have contacted Rosetta Stone and the publisher of those books for Dummies to see if they can help my management team! LOL

jimstud

Banned
red and bubble why do you even bother with this tool. you know 99.99 % of what he posts is what you put on the garden to make it grow.

tieguy

Banned
Oh please, give me a break.
That is pure manusha.
We're not talking about getting something for nothing.
The issue was Brown Eyed Girl getting the pay differential for delivering ground as an air driver.
This is provided for contractually and she shouldn't have to ask for it.
99.99999% of the work force would love to make more money.
Being service minded has nothing to do with it, but in this instance she could have both provided the service and got the extra money.
What this all boils down to is the fact that these employees are SCARED!!!
Nothing else, just scared.
They are either scared of being retaliated against for grieving, or scared that they will no longer be offered this extra work.
If you work in my building you might as well ask for the top rate because I will most definitely file for the pay also, at time and a half.
It will never be profitable for the company to use air drivers in this way in my building.

I'm sorry bubbles you're right of course. As you say upsers do not care about service and want to get paid to do nothing. Thanks for correcting me.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm sorry bubbles you're right of course. As you say upsers do not care about service and want to get paid to do nothing. Thanks for correcting me.

All I want, all any of us should want, is every penny, right, and privledge provided for contractually.
Nothing more, nothing less.

tieguy

Banned
Reds boss: I do not punish anyone, they punish themselves. If they violate the[-]contract[/-] methods its not my fault! I did not ask them to do it. My [-]management [/-]team has enough problems attempting to live by the [-]contract[/-] methods, so much so I have contacted Rosetta Stone and the publisher of those books for Dummies to see if they can help my [-]management [/-]team! LOL

Fixed it for ya red.:happy-very: