Took an unpaid paternity leave for a week, insurance lapsed

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Absolutely.

It can also be "backdated" to cover someone with an intermittent attendance

problem.... if it qualifies under FMLA.

-Bug-

*just to add.... if they are eligible for FMLA. PT people especially*
Gotta know the total hour qualifications for the calendar year for sure but this needs to be standard info accessible and explained at the local level.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
FMLA may absorb all but 1 week of your vacation but it's a whole lot better than losing thousands of dollars otherwise.

Fyi...I was told by an investment professional I know that you can always declare medical bankruptcy if the medical costs are impossible to overcome. It doesn't touch your personal assets nor does it ruin your credit.

Something to keep in mind. The medical profession is not going broke.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Gotta know the total hour qualifications for the calendar year for sure but this needs to be standard info accessible and explained at the local level.

Yep.

Don't have to go any further than the contract.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

-Bug-

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Yep.

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

-Bug-

Thank you for that.

Yep.

-Bug-

That would leave @542thruNthru out...

ManInBrown

That really sucks. Just so you know you should have received a letter from insurance stating your coverage had lapsed, along with a letter giving you the option to purchase Cobra for that week. I know it would suck to have to pay for Cobra because of their mistake, but it’s much cheaper than the few thousands in medical bills.

watdaflock?

Warning to any future parents out there, make sure your full time supervisor files the proper paperwork or punch in at least once per week for however long your leave lasts or your health insurance will lapse.

I confirmed multiple times with my PT sup that I would take a week off while my daughter was being born, but I found out weeks later that my insurance lapsed for the week I took off to be with my wife in the hospital which left me on the hook for thousands of dollars in medical bills. Apparently if you don't punch in for 5 consecutive days, your insurance will lapse.

I know im a :censored2:ing idiot for not talking to a full time or a shop steward, but it's still crazy. I talked to my steward and they are helping me out, but it's still a major headache having to call AETNA and teamcare to handle it.
Quit having kids.

Hope this helps.

MattM

This happens in the western region too. You need a verifiable 'punch' or monies earned during the week to not only maintain insurance, but also to earn holiday pay.

I learned the hard way a year or two back. I took a few days off after christmas. Instead of using option days (as noted on my vacation selection form), those days were cashed out 3 weeks prior, and they reverted all of those days to simply scheduled off.

Just be careful and watch your own back. The calendar may show option days, and they code it as such, but when there's nothing else, it gets reverted. Maybe my building is just lazy. We have guys using 10-15 option days just to get a day off knowing full well they don't have any time left.

And fighting/explaining what happened was not worth the hassle.

In my case, I should've been proactive and told them that I need one of my 'option days' after Christmas converted to a sick day. My fear was, do they go by the calendar or what the computer says. They may have told me to show up since I don't have the paid days left. So I said nothing until after the fact.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
A fellow upser said his dad worked for ABF and Roadway. When he was a kid his dad had to work X amount of hours per week to secure benefits for that week so sometimes they had to cancel dentist and other healthcare appointments because he didn't quite make the minimum.

We have it much better than that but much worse than the 1 punch per month we needed to secure benefits before we got put into Teamcare, not that our UPS Teamcare is a bad plan, it isnt, things change, but to listen to a supervisor talk about what your negotiated rights are is foolish.

People need to know their rights under FMLA and Local Unions need to educate their membership.

Every other job I've had the benefits stayed in effect as long as you were actively employed.