Took an unpaid paternity leave for a week, insurance lapsed

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Early on in my career, insurance was paid quarterly in advance. At some point it changed to what it is now. I had scheduled a vacation for around the time my first child was going to be born. Little bugger decided to enter the world on a Sunday night, 8 days before my vacation started. I called the center and they said they would move my vacation back a week, no problem. Fast forward about 2 months. I started getting doctor and hospital bills addressed to me. Made some calls and found out I had no insurance the week my son was born. Went in and raised hell. Found out they had me down as a leave of abscense (before FMLA) More digging, and I found out the only person who could OK a leave of abscense was the division manager. Of course he didn't know anything about it. Evidently someone else in the company forged his OK on it. I caught him walking in the guard shack one morning and lit into him. (back then, the DM would actually visit the operation and he knew everyone by name) I pulled him aside and really cussed him and the whole company out. He probably could have fired me, but he knew how pissed I was. After he admitted to me they had screwed up, he asked me what he could do to fix things. I gave him a list of phone numbers to every doctor and hospital involved. He said he would personally call them and fix things. He actually did what he said.

ManInBrown

Every other job I've had the benefits stayed in effect as long as you were actively employed.
Another sellout move by the Teamsters. I am in the 177 and we have the same one punch a week rule as the Western region.

It is utterly mind boggling that the Teamsters let 22.4s into the contract and didn’t get one single thing in return. If the current crew gets re-elected we are all doomed.

How do Hoffa and Taylor get paid by UPS? Once a month like management or weekly? Anyone know?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Another sellout move by the Teamsters. I am in the 177 and we have the same one punch a week rule as the Western region.

It is utterly mind boggling that the Teamsters let 22.4s into the contract and didn’t get one single thing in return. If the current crew gets re-elected we are all doomed.

How do Hoffa and Taylor get paid by UPS? Once a month like management or weekly? Anyone know?

I'm in the Western, I have to get 40 hrs/month. It must be a joint council thing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
40 hours a month to have medical?

Yep. And it's prorated, so If I get 40 hrs this month, I'm covered all next month. Our guy who "transferred" (quit, moved, rehired) was pretty happy to get his benefits back up so fast. You just have to work 80 hrs in any of your first 4 months for benefits to kick in the next month. After that it goes to 40. It used to apply to part timers as well, 'til the master took it away.

542thruNthru

Yep. And it's prorated, so If I get 40 hrs this month, I'm covered all next month. Our guy who "transferred" (quit, moved, rehired) was pretty happy to get his benefits back up so fast. You just have to work 80 hrs in any of your first 4 months for benefits to kick in the next month. After that it goes to 40. It used to apply to part timers as well, 'til the master took it away.

Wow that's pretty nice. We're still 1 punch a week in my area.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You can do fmla entirely online at upsers.com hsrc
No need to talk to anyone. No excuse not to do fmla. It takes a few minutes and your done.
You can start the process doing that, and that is all. That guarantees nothing and "a few minutes" will still most likely take hours and days/weeks to sort out the shady stuff, like Aetna slippery denial letters and whatever other illegal crap they try

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

“Let 22.4 in the contract”

Dude Taylor was the one that suggested them.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You can start the process doing that, and that is all. That guarantees nothing and "a few minutes" will still most likely take hours and days/weeks to sort out the shady stuff, like Aetna slippery denial letters and whatever other illegal crap they try
What are you trying to say?
Don't file for fmla? Lose your insurance? Lose your job?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What are you trying to say?
Don't file for fmla? Lose your insurance? Lose your job?
spend your hours days and life fighting it if it makes you feel good, but don't make it sound like UPS and Aetna won't try every slowdown, or unethical avenue to drag it out more than " a few minutes and you're done"

rocket man

Congratulations on the birth of your child. I hope you're not the kind of person that had a friend who told you to take this job so you'll get all this wonderful insurance while you have your baby? Good luck in your future and good luck with this bill.