total arrogance

25yrvet

Our ctr recently went on EDD/PAS....ALL the horror stories that you hear are TRUE, they are happening at our ctr. This happened despite good cooperation from the drivers during the setup.
But what is worse is the total arrogance of the ie people. You can talk to them about service issues (Delivery Times,etc) till you're blue in the face & they will blow you off every time. These Idiots Extrodinaire (IE) will hardly give a good on car sup the time o' day.
Pathetic!

DorkHead

That is because they are focused only on their part of the big picture. Everything else doesn`t matter to them. When we went to EDD we were told that as drivers the more accurate information that you give the better the system works, which is true. I`ve realized that this system needs continuous tweaking and probably always will. I really like it! I also think though that there is just to much room for human error. Ex: Wrong pal label on the wrong pkg. or bad redirected pal label for the pkg. or sequence number loaded in the wrong area. I`m sure you know what I mean.

30andout

That is because they are focused only on their part of the big picture. Everything else doesn`t matter to them. When we went to EDD we were told that as drivers the more accurate information that you give the better the system works, which is true. I`ve realized that this system needs continuous tweaking and probably always will. I really like it! I also think though that there is just to much room for human error. Ex: Wrong pal label on the wrong pkg. or bad redirected pal label for the pkg. or sequence number loaded in the wrong area. I`m sure you know what I mean.
You must have a good center mng. team, they won't even make changes for us. So much for tweeking.

DorkHead

We do have a good mngt team. They have their bad moments like everyone else but they know the smoother the operation the less they have to shag misloads and redeliver. Also they are all within 7 yrs. of retiring and they are not bucking to advance. Plus most of our drivers won`t skip their lunch or break to finish when they are overdispatched. Just send the message need help or going to have missed. We all have full days everyday but when you get the 10 hr. dispatch 3 or 4 days out of the week, that`s when things get ugly. Sorry, I`m rambling.

p1000

Free at Last
We have been on it for a year and a half. Now all are sups do is get miss routes and bad pal labels and get them to the right drivers.They are all ready in brown's at our morning meeting. We file greveances and get 8 hour pay everyday. Got to love it. Also we have had around 6 IE Idoits doing dispatch since we have had it. Good luck getting your changes made.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Our ctr recently went on EDD/PAS....ALL the horror stories that you hear are TRUE, they are happening at our ctr. This happened despite good cooperation from the drivers during the setup.
But what is worse is the total arrogance of the ie people. You can talk to them about service issues (Delivery Times,etc) till you're blue in the face & they will blow you off every time. These Idiots Extrodinaire (IE) will hardly give a good on car sup the time o' day.
They're just doing their job. They have to set the system up, and deep down, they probably think it's stupid, but it's not their job to question their companies policies. When they outright say it's a stupid policy or system, the whole entire sytem fails.

over9five

Staff member
We have been on it for 2 1/2 years. The best thing you can do is be ANAL about your DOL the first time! They'll never want to change it again.

1 to 49 ODD Main St.

1 to 9999 ODD Apple St.

9998 to 0 EVEN Apple St.

51 to 99 ODD Main St.

GET IT EXACTLY HOW YOU WANT TO DO IT!

SmithBarney

They gave up on PAS/EDD at our center... well for the time being, its been suspended indefinitely. Never even turned it on... no tears here.(YET)

Brownnblue

They gave up on PAS/EDD at our center... well for the time being, its been suspended indefinitely. Never even turned it on... no tears here.(YET)

Really?
I'd have to give this a "wow". I can understand the horror stories, but to have it go in this bad is amazing.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Very interesting, considering how many people in corp. are cheerleaders.

Hopefully UPS learns that you can't automate EVERYTHING. Some things, like call centres, gas pumping, voting, micro-sorting and routing packages (majority of which have faulty addresses; bad input from HUMANS) are just not meant to be automated.

dammor

Must have been a glitch in the system. (Something like they were too stupid to turn the computer on) Enjoy your reprieve, because soon one of them will punch that key and your days will change big time.

What I find the most irritating about this system is the fact that the loaders are told and trained here to look at nothing but the Pal label. Considering the fact that many of them are wrong, wrong, wrong, it makes for a rough day for us who deliver. Another problem here is getting someone to fix the cronic problems. Good luck with that one for sure. A blank stare is not uncommon when asking for that.

Having said that, I think it could be a blessing if put in with much more driver input. We were also told that would be the case, but it was not so. They view us as folks who don't know where we are going or how to run our areas.
Fact is we know exactly where we need to be and when we need to be there.
I wish someone would realize this and actually listen...........

rngri4

Your whole dispatch team needs fired then...it can take less than two hours to get a driver up to trace on an easy route, and up to about 6 on a harder route...your whole dispatch team needs fired for unwillingness to do their jobs. Simple as that. As for IE not caring, part of the original thread, in reality they dont care, their job description is to get PAS/EDD up and running, the rest is basically up to the in center team to sort loops and set up the EDD in the right trace. Air deliveries aren't done in EDD, but to have a center completely cut it off, points right in the face of dispatch managers, and their lack of job responsiblity, and it also shows the lack of concern for them to do their job from a center manager, who should also be terminated, it will catch up with them, because the center team has to answer for each and every vital PASS/EDD Statistic everyday.

SmithBarney

Unfortunately there is no one to fire, they never hired any one for the "dispatch" team. I think IE made a stark realization that in order for our
center to be re-looped properly they'd need to add about 10 routes.

S

speeddemon

We do have a good mngt team. They have their bad moments like everyone else but they know the smoother the operation the less they have to shag misloads and redeliver. Also they are all within 7 yrs. of retiring and they are not bucking to advance. Plus most of our drivers won`t skip their lunch or break to finish when they are overdispatched. Just send the message need help or going to have missed. We all have full days everyday but when you get the 10 hr. dispatch 3 or 4 days out of the week, that`s when things get ugly. Sorry, I`m rambling.

We havent gone to PAS yet, but have that kind of dispatching already. PAS is coming January 07.

bugman74

Try delivering to a big mall where everystore is the same address, but different suites. I spend half the day sorting out the truck because all of the pal labels are either 1300 or 5700.

browniehound

Try delivering to a big mall where everystore is the same address, but different suites. I spend half the day sorting out the truck because all of the pal labels are either 1300 or 5700.

Guess that makes it easier for the preloader, he only has to worry about putting the package in 2 places!

raceanoncr

Geez! Has any body ever heard of "Work as directed"? Whatever your classification (i.e., sorter, combo, package driver, feeder driver, etc.), just "WORK AS DIRECTED"!!!! You can never get fired for working as directed!!!! Your, whatever it is called, center route system tells you to run your area this way...THEN RUN IT THAT WAY!!!! You'll make more $$$ and they will look more goofy! Is it any simpler? My local P/C driver says he was running about 33 miles a day...now is running about 100 miles a day! Wow! Big revelation! On his butt for running too many miles? He says, "Then ride with me"! Big revelation! Geez, people, just "Work as directed". It'll work! For the company? NO! For YOU!

hoser

Industrial Slob
Geez! Has any body ever heard of "Work as directed"? Whatever your classification (i.e., sorter, combo, package driver, feeder driver, etc.), just "WORK AS DIRECTED"!!!! You can never get fired for working as directed!!!! Your, whatever it is called, center route system tells you to run your area this way...THEN RUN IT THAT WAY!!!! You'll make more $$$ and they will look more goofy! Is it any simpler? My local P/C driver says he was running about 33 miles a day...now is running about 100 miles a day! Wow! Big revelation! On his butt for running too many miles? He says, "Then ride with me"! Big revelation! Geez, people, just "Work as directed". It'll work! For the company? NO! For YOU!
:thumbup1:

the only way the system will be scrapped is if you can prove it to them that it's crap.