Tracking Number "errors"?

Should I...

• Just key enter it and stop being concerned?

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Continue to bring this to management's attention?

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Go higher up in management with this issue?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GSO_Dave

Has anyone noticed that packages with the shipper number *00 *** do not scan with the "tech 10" scanners? I work in smalls sort, and reported this to management a month ago, and the problem still exists...

The "*" denotes any UPS allowed alphanumeric character.

drewed

Shankman
No I was just curious there could be a couple different reasons....id say keep brining it to their attention.....Do they not scan at all or do they come up with an error?

GSO_Dave

No I was just curious there could be a couple different reasons....id say keep brining it to their attention.....Do they not scan at all or do they come up with an error?
We have bluetooth hand-helds that do scan these packages, the "tech-10's" do not.

All the "management" personnel keep telling me that they need to contact the shipper.
Huh? This sounds to me like an internal to UPS issue, hence the post here...

rod

Retired 22 years
After you have worked at the Brown Machine long enough trust me- all your "concern" will disappear:sad-little:

GSO_Dave

Are these the really old scanners, that are wireless but have a scan gun hooked into them?
The "tech 10's" that we use are hard-wired into the "system".

We recently had a human interface "upgrade" reportedly costing
around a million dollars, about two or three years ago.

The "scanner" part, I'm guessing, has been in use for over 10 years,
is a infra-red driven box of about 14x10x5 inches.

These tracking labels DO scan with the "newer" BT hand scanners, but
when an attempted scan with the "tech 10" scanner is done, nothing...

Even had a rewrap clerk make a replacement label, with the same results.

All this was explained to "management", and they seem to think its a
shipper issue.

Is it?

Or is my "management" team clueless?

drewed

Shankman
IDK could be a little bit of both, im not familar with those scanners, the only scanning issues ive seen is that the bar code itself was too wide (well atleast the distance between the lines) it made the scanner think it was missing a line and caused an error i believe those were most of the packages from amazon....

UPSNewbie

IDK could be a little bit of both, im not familar with those scanners, the only scanning issues ive seen is that the bar code itself was too wide (well atleast the distance between the lines) it made the scanner think it was missing a line and caused an error i believe those were most of the packages from amazon....

Can they not scan the "box" code like the unload SHOULD to produce a valuable PAL?

drewed

Shankman
Well hes in smalls so im assuming a PAL label wouldnt help...most hubs work off a bin system scan a pacakge it tell you where it goes a bin has a light sensor on it package breaks the light it registers the scan....could be wrong.

UPSNewbie

Well hes in smalls so im assuming a PAL label wouldnt help...most hubs work off a bin system scan a pacakge it tell you where it goes a bin has a light sensor on it package breaks the light it registers the scan....could be wrong.

Ooooh. I missed the hub part. I thought he was at the end destination.

drewed

Shankman
Im just assuming with that.....
Umm like I said either way theres not much you can do, Id keep bringing it to their attention and see if you can grab a person from ie see what they have to say..

GSO_Dave

So, no one else is/has noticed this?

1Z V00 XYZ 03 1234 5678 doesn't scan with a "tech 10" scanner?
1Z 200 XYZ 03 1234 5678 and so on... the constant being the two zeros...

GSO_Dave

Could they be coming from a UPS store? I dont think any account numbers start with a 00
Various shippers... maybe one or two from UPS stores...
Majority from what appears to be regular biz accounts...
and they don't "start" with 00, after "one" UPS allowed
alphanumeric... A,B,C... 1,2,3... then the 00.

GSO_Dave

I spoke with the hub's "person in charge" of this area, and he said that this was "apparently" limited to our hub. I suppose that's why no one here has had a similar experience.

I am STILL curious why this has not been resolved after nearly 2 months...

Thanks to all who responded, and voted...

Gadget

This is an issue for sites that have GSS version 3.8.1

The Tech 10 will not scan shipper numbers in the (2nd and 3rd) or (4th and 5th) field of the shipper number.

Your hub only has three options
  1. Scan with an Emerald scanner
  2. Attach a laser gun to a Sapphire and scan them
  3. Key enter manually
Sites that are still running GSS 3.7 are fine. The fix will be included in version 3.9 due out in June.

Last edited: