Traction mats

LKLND3380

Traction mats !!!! LOL !!! I haven`t seen snow in over 25 years ! Florida is the place to work if your a UPS driver. We now are entering 6 months of highs of 75` and lows of 55` on average! :lol: :thumbup1:
Keep thinking that when you hear on the news about Citrus and Starwberry freeze in central FL damaging crops... You must be further south.. It did snow here in the land of the mouse back in 78 or 79...

The cold when it arrives does not last long but the early morning hours can have wind chills below 32 here...

reydluap

Here in Iowa, our center goes to the local feed store and buys 50 pound sacks of "CHICKEN GRIT" (laugh all you want). All the package cars have a large sealed bucket with about a sack and a half of grit in it. If by chance you get stuck, all you have to do is a few simple steps and you are going again.

First, Kick out a little of the snow from in front and back of the FRONT TIRES.

Second, Kick out a little snow from in front and back of the REAR TIRES.

Third, Spread out a trail of CHICKEN GRIT in front of the REAR TIRES.

Fourth, Put some CHICKEN GRIT in the rear tread of the REAR TIRES.

Put the package car in 2nd or 3rd gear and let the package car lug it's way out of the slick spot and you are off and going.

I've been delivering for close to 30 years and have not had a wrecker on my package car yet. I drive a P1000 over 225 miles a day with close to half of those miles on secondary/gravel roads.

The key to safe winter driving is : If in doubt........Don't do it! If you think it looks like you are going to get stuck going down some unplowed road, DON'T GO DOWN IT. If a dock is snowed in, don't back up to it. ALWAYS park your package car so that you can go forward or back so you can "rock" the truck a bit if you need to get going.

Hope this helps.

Braveheart

Traction mats !!!! LOL !!! I haven`t seen snow in over 25 years ! Florida is the place to work if your a UPS driver. We now are entering 6 months of highs of 75` and lows of 55` on average! :lol: :thumbup1:
I used to live in Florida for over 15 years. Try 8 to 9 months of 75 to 95 degree averages and maybe 3 to 4 months of your figures. But no snow at all.

Braveheart

Keep thinking that when you hear on the news about Citrus and Starwberry freeze in central FL damaging crops... You must be further south.. It did snow here in the land of the mouse back in 78 or 79...

The cold when it arrives does not last long but the early morning hours can have wind chills below 32 here...
Hey man tell me where you got that avatar. Awesome!

sickandtired

1daycloser2retire
Record all questionable deliveries as Non Del (ECD.. emergency conditions) Try again next day. If you get stuck management will certainly say it was your fault and it was avoidable.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Yeah, but you have to deal with Floridians.... :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I'll take cold and snow over having to deal with Florida....

LKLND3380

Lakeland,
Dont forget the big snow storm of '89!!!
I remember an ice storm that shut things down a few days because people just dont know how to drive...

Speaking of Cold it is to drop down to 37 here before the sun comes up (wind chill AND 82% humidity should make it better)... I can't wait until Dec/Jan when the cold weather hits.... I have to be at work in 3 1/2 hours... If we only had heaters in the bldg like they do up north...

gray squirrel

Here in Ohio we have that magic can of grit mounted under our seat. You are supposed to sprinkle it under your tires for instant traction. I've found it works best to sprinkle a path, so you can walk out and call a wrecker. We have small snow shovels, and chains. Chains work great, especially when you just leave them on, and they fly off going 50 mph on dry pavement. I really don't do that. Don't use chains on someones really nice black top driveway, or UPS will be paying for a new one.