Transfers

Overpaid Union Thug

The contract has a generic/basic version of what is required for a transfer. What it doesn't cover is that they (HR) can ask for a copy of an acceptance letter from the school if they want. They can ask for a copy of your class schedule. It really depends on the head of HR for that region/district. Mine just required a copy of the acceptance letter and a hand written letter from me stating that I wanted to transfer. My full-time sup tried to add their own additional requirements, such as a copy of my class schedule, and tried to delay, and later stop, me from transferring.I told the HR rep and they were pretty pissed. Lets just say the full-time sup never interfered after that. My full-time sup knew I didn't plan on going to school immediately. A new semester was about to start but I was aiming to start schoo the following semester. The head of HR totally understood that but the full-time sup in the hub wasn't cool with it. They just didn't want to lose another employee. As far as there being an opening at the small center I wanted to move to....I got real lucky. There just happened to be an opening on preload AND reload. I chose reload.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The contract has a generic/basic version of what is required for a transfer. What it doesn't cover is that they (HR) can ask for a copy of an acceptance letter from the school if they want. They can ask for a copy of your class schedule. It really depends on the head of HR for that region/district. Mine just required a copy of the acceptance letter and a hand written letter from me stating that I wanted to transfer. My full-time sup tried to add their own additional requirements, such as a copy of my class schedule, and tried to delay, and later stop, me from transferring.I told the HR rep and they were pretty pissed. Lets just say the full-time sup never interfered after that. My full-time sup knew I didn't plan on going to school immediately. A new semester was about to start but I was aiming to start schoo the following semester. The head of HR totally understood that but the full-time sup in the hub wasn't cool with it. They just didn't want to lose another employee. As far as there being an opening at the small center I wanted to move to....I got real lucky. There just happened to be an opening on preload AND reload. I chose reload.

Lucky for you, Big Arrow. I had a decent HR rep but I think the ball was dropped a few times between the time I requested it and the time it was ultimately denied. I was told to bring a copy of my acceptance letter along with a signed letter stating I desired a transfer. As it got closer to when I wanted to transfer, they asked for a copy of my class schedule, too. As to transferring to that small center...this small center was in the cornfields of Illinois, turnover was practically ZERO AND it was just after Peak. WORST possible time to try transferring. When I was accepted to that school, I was in the "promotion ready" pool. A few people suggested I keep my name in the pool because I'd probably get the transfer. I refused to possibly lose my re-hire status and pulled my name from the pool. My full-time was surprised and the retention manager in charge of the pool was shocked when I handed in a letter removing my name from the pool. Later, I heard of people transferring to that small center from St. Louis, etc. Like I said in a previous post, if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way. :tongue_sm

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't agree with the policy of asking for a class schedule. People aren't always planning to start school immediately after transferring. Some people just want to start the process well in advance (like I did) to avoid worrying about there being an opening at the other location and because it's better to have everything completed before starting school. That way when school does start it will be a smooth transition without having to worry about the job situation. In the hubs HR and the sups tend to use the tactic of asking for a class schedule because it can be a potential road block for people trying to transfer. It is because hubs have high turnovers and will try anything to retain their employees. On the flipside...if you ask to transfer out of a small "extended center" and into a hub you will have no trouble. The sups in that small center know they can replace you very easily and will let you go with no problems. Most small centers don't even have their own HR. The HR department at the hub usually handles hiring for the surrounding centers. I bet that someone transferring out of a small center to a hub would probably not be asked to present a class schedule. Why would they when they already have trouble keeping people to stay at the hub already? A transfer is a juicy target for HR. Experienced, already trained, and can just walk in and go straight to work.

H

Hosed by UPS&teamsters

I have worked for UPS for 20 years and here is my transfer story. We got the right to transfer anywhere in our supplement in 2002 after the contract was settled. So
I put in for a transfer in 2002 for a small building. Last feb. I was called by the HR dept about an opening,I said I would take it. They called back and said it was a mistake. So I did some research, the manager of the building said I am not going to hire anyone and if I do I only need a temporary person because of a lady being on maternity leave and would only be a part time position. Later this year I found out that the guy had been working full time the last 6 months. The lady extended her leave and they went out of there way to find work for him. So when I brought this info to my BA he said that's not right that guy never should have gained seniority,and he filed a grievance on my behalf. So I go meet with him and the labor lady and they offered me the position with an earlier seniority date than the guy that was hired. This sounded great to me so I agreed to take it. This was on a thursday and they(UPS labor rep) said they would have an answer the following wednesday. The following thursday I was told to report to work at the new location the following monday. Twice I was asked are you sure this is what you want? You know you might face some layoff time,it's a small building. If you don't take the job he will get the next opening up there and then you're screwed. All these questions and not a lot of time to answer. But I said yes I want to go there. Well when I got there they said there was nothing for me which I didn't think was a big deal since everything happened over a weekend. So the next day they said the same thing. So I asked when will I work and the manager said maybe april or may and then you will be on call only. This happened the week of Thanksgiving,peak season for crying out loud. So when I contacted my business agent and the labor rep they both got defensive and said "Oh that's what you wanted your stuck there now,You won the grievance". To complicate things even more when I called the local there,they say I am not a member til I work at least 1 day in there jurisdiction. So now I am really stressed out and am getting no help from either side. The manager even told me I hope you have a big bank account because you're not going to get steady work for a long time. So how can a company let you transfer into a layoff position? The moral of the story so far is be careful what you ask for You just might get it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wouldn't have made that transfer. Actually, if I had 20 years in there is no way I'd transfer at all. It's kind of silly really. We had a guy transfer in here with 12 years at a hub. He kept bitching about not being full-time yet and all I could wonder is why the hell he would transfer from ANYWHERE with 12 years in the books. That's got to be close to landing a full-time job. Even in a hub. Anyway....my transfer horror story actually wasn't going to be a transfer at all. I didn't have a year in yet when I first asked to be transfered so I offered to quit and start over at the building I work at now. There was an opening but for some reason HR wouldn't let me go. I ended up wating a couple of months and transferring but it cost me. The guy they hired in the opening I tried to get the first time is now full-time and I'm still part-time. I cringe everytime I look at the full-time seniority list and see his seniority date. It should have been mine! Oh well. At least I'm not in the hub anymore. On the flipside though...hubs have more friend/t jobs to offer than extended centers. We only have driving.