Trump needs to stop Amazon monopoly

rod

Retired 22 years
1. You have companies who for the most part have fewer product choices, charge more for their stuff, must charge sales taxes for most things and you have to drive to them usually to shop.

2. Then you have a company that has tons of choices, free shipping usually, no sales tax most time and you can shop in your underwear and have it delivered to your door.

Now tell me how are you going to stop that----and don't say Trump. The only way to stop it is to not shop there and that isn't going to happen on a large scale.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
2. Then you have a company that has tons of choices, free shipping usually, no sales tax most time and you can shop in your underwear and have it delivered to your door.
You do realize that every state (45) that imposes a sales tax also imposes a use tax at the same rate.
Guess who's legally obligated to submit the use tax.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Sears and JC Penney have been on a decline for a long time. They haven't kept up with the times.
Oh sure they have. Why I just bought a couple of fat white wall tires for my Schwinn at Sears and got a great deal on a 5-pack of blank Panasonic VHS tapes from JC Penney the other day.

rickyb

amazon is a huge monopoly. ralph nader is terribly concerned and has done radio episodes on them. they are now doing stuff for the deep state. i believe bezos is the richest man on earth.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I only buy from Amazon as a last resort. I'll even pay a bit more to buy from anyone but Amazon. The more you buy from Amazon, they bigger they become and the smaller their competition becomes from lack of sales. Also, when you buy from Amazon, you help fund that leftist, fake news rag sheet called the Washington Post that Bezos owns.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
10+ years ago everyone was saying the same thing about Walmart. Perhaps this sort of alarmism is what keeps these mega-lo-marts from taking over the world. If so, then please continue.

rickyb

10+ years ago everyone was saying the same thing about Walmart. Perhaps this sort of alarmism is what keeps these mega-lo-marts from taking over the world. If so, then please continue.
but they have. the waltons have more wealth than the bottom 40% of america last i checked.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I’m sorry, but I have to confess to loving Amazon. I can’t remember the last time I ever had to set foot in a crowded wretched mall at Christmastime thanks to them.

badpal

Well UPS and FDX have been complaining for years about the post office delivering packages at a loss for years. They should at be at least be charging amazon and others enough that they can at least be breaking even. Love or hate Amazon, the taxpayer shouldn't be footing the bill for their profits.

shouldnt

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are hurting USA business that made this country he needs to put the hammer down MAGA.

I disagree.

We have a local business-----Global Sugar Art----which was started by a former wedding cake designer in a local shopping plaza. Their very first day that they sent out a grand total of 10 packages. Fast forward to today-----they are on Amazon and we position an empty trailer on their much larger facility loading dock on a daily basis.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Well UPS and FDX have been complaining for years about the post office delivering packages at a loss for years. They should at be at least be charging amazon and others enough that they can at least be breaking even. Love or hate Amazon, the taxpayer shouldn't be footing the bill for their profits.

shouldnt
Boom....now that’s a start...level the playing field, if we were all on the same page we slow that steam roller down a bit.

It will be fine

shouldnt
Taxpayers will only foot the bill if the government forgives the debt of the usps. The usps doesn't receive any direct tax dollars.

badpal

I disagree.

We have a local business-----Global Sugar Art----which was started by a former wedding cake designer in a local shopping plaza. Their very first day that they sent out a grand total of 10 packages. Fast forward to today-----they are on Amazon and we position an empty trailer on their much larger facility loading dock on a daily basis.
I agree with you there, amazon has helped a lot of little folks in that way. And you can't fault Bezos for taking advantage of the post office money losing rate structure. Heck, maybe surepost and smartpost doing the same.

bbsam

Staff member
Boom....now that’s a start...level the playing field, if we were all on the same page we slow that steam roller down a bit.
I think it's all in UPS' hands. Eliminate the discounts. Neither X nor USPS has the desire nor the ability to take all of that especially not at the price Bezos wants to pay.