TSA tailgaiting

Artee

No, it's not at a ramp/airport just a service station.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The same ramp rules are now being applied by the TSA to the stations. This has been going on for the last few months. Same rules apply to the stations as if you were on a ramp. Challenge anyone not wearing a visible ID. When you get through the gate, stop and make sure it closes behind you and no one else is tailgating in after you. We are now being required to be using a seal on all our revenue runs. When stations are not using roll up doors they are to be left in the closed position. All these new rules should have been explained a few months back, so everyone understands what they are supposed to be doing.

hypo hanna

The same ramp rules are now being applied by the TSA to the stations. This has been going on for the last few months. Same rules apply to the stations as if you were on a ramp. Challenge anyone not wearing a visible ID. When you get through the gate, stop and make sure it closes behind you and no one else is tailgating in after you. We are now being required to be using a seal on all our revenue runs. When stations are not using roll up doors they are to be left in the closed position. All these new rules should have been explained a few months back, so everyone understands what they are supposed to be doing.
Sounds like a great job for a professional security guard and or those operation managers.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm good with it all except for the "challenge anyone without visible ID" bit. Just the word "challenge" implies that there is some sort of risk involved to me. It's the function of police and security to challenge people - that's why they're armed. Where's my protection?

dezguy

Yeah, that's not happening. Until I have xray vision that tells me whether someone is carrying a gun, knife or other device that could hurt me, I'll leave the challenging of people not wearing ID up to my manager whom I will alert.

SmithBarney

Gates? what are gates? I know ramps have em, but at the 5+ stations I've been at NONE have had gates. I say brake-check anyone tailgating you in...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Word on the street is that the TSA is tailgating our trucks through the front gate and then fining FedEx and the courier thousands of $$$$. Seems legit.

Whenever you enter an airport gate, it is your responsibility to stop and make sure the gate closes behind you...with no tailgaters.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm good with it all except for the "challenge anyone without visible ID" bit. Just the word "challenge" implies that there is some sort of risk involved to me. It's the function of police and security to challenge people - that's why they're armed. Where's my protection?

Your "challenge" doesn't have to be anything any more than, "Excuse me, sir. This area is restricted to FedEx employees only. We can assist you at the front counter [or customer entrance, or whatever]."

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Not all scenarios are quite so benign.

I'm at a ramp facility where there aren't supposed to be any customers at all. I don't really like the idea if I'm out in a relatively secluded area and I come across some individual lurking by a bunch of cans, that I'm supposed to "challenge" him.

If the guy truly is there for nefarious purposes, what's to keep him from slitting my throat and going on his way? I could be stone cold before someone even finds me.

Artee

I'm at a ramp facility where there aren't supposed to be any customers at all. I don't really like the idea if I'm out in a relatively secluded area and I come across some individual lurking by a bunch of cans, that I'm supposed to "challenge" him.

If the guy truly is there for nefarious purposes, what's to keep him from slitting my throat and going on his way? I could be stone cold before someone even finds me.

If you work at a ramp you should be well enough aware of the rules of the airport. Most if not all of them state that if you don't feel comfortable in any way call the airport police/security/sheriff, etc if you see anything suspicious. None of the rules state that you need to be a hero and apprehend anyone. Common sense is your friend.

59 Dano

You people are acting like you are expected to get nose to nose and start chest bumping.

Artee

Where in my comment did I say anything about an airport gate? Our station is about 20 miles from the nearest airport.

Again...the same rules that apply to the airport/ramp/hub are now being enforced at the stations even if you are 100 miles from the nearest airport. You can thank the TSA. FedEx is an airline and must follow those rules.

59 Dano

Again...the same rules that apply to the airport/ramp/hub are now being enforced at the stations even if you are 100 miles from the nearest airport. You can thank the TSA. FedEx is an airline and must follow those rules.

I read on this forum that FedEx is not an airline because we have some trucks.

IamFedEx

I guess that same logic would make Southwest Airlines a trucking company?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 102