Turning point coming

floridays

I mean, yeah, in theory they might combine operations to save money and then turn around and choose the most expensive way to staff that combined operation - but it would be stupid.
I'm not saying they should do that.
I'm asking you, the smart guy. the one with all the RIGHT answers,

Ground seems to have problems that must be addressed (nut cuttin time seems to be on the horizon.) I'm asking you to analyze the situation and offer your remedy.

Your chance to shine Oracle59, what is the solution.

As ground goes, so goes Express.

Aquaman

I know this thread is mostly about Ground, but one could argue that the company (at least Express) has had a history of doing something "to save money" then completely screw the pooch on execution.

Response comes to mind with extra sorts at ramps and stations, extra RTDs, wave 2 drivers, huge amounts of rental vans, and not enough staffing to support any of that (read: expensive overtime for existing employees). DRA was supposed to save money too to keep every route to an 8-hour day, lulz. One can only imagine what the financial repercussions will be with E-Star's route planning.
Ya response was based around the delusion of upper managment thinking this is still a great place to work. They’ll never be able to admit this is not an attractive job anymore. Hasn’t been for a long time. Drivers know it, managers know it. But the people running the show think this is an amazing job. That was the fatal flaw of response. No plan this company comes up with going forward should have hiring as a vital piece of the puzzle.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I know this thread is mostly about Ground, but one could argue that the company (at least Express) has had a history of doing something "to save money" then completely screw the pooch on execution.

Response comes to mind with extra sorts at ramps and stations, extra RTDs, wave 2 drivers, huge amounts of rental vans, and not enough staffing to support any of that (read: expensive overtime for existing employees). DRA was supposed to save money too to keep every route to an 8-hour day, lulz. One can only imagine what the financial repercussions will be with E-Star's route planning.
They ran E star last Saturday, the whole week management kept pounding it into their heads about running it exactly as it’s planned, no exceptions.
Monday morning meeting the senior was yelling about all the lates because people didn’t deviate from the plan to make service.
It seems impossible to believe but apparently E star does NOT account for service commit times.

MassWineGuy

They ran E star last Saturday, the whole week management kept pounding it into their heads about running it exactly as it’s planned, no exceptions.
Monday morning meeting the senior was yelling about all the lates because people didn’t deviate from the plan to make service.
It seems impossible to believe but apparently E star does NOT account for service commit times.

Sounds like this was as much real world tested as most of what they give us.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Works for UPS and other parts of FedEx Corp. Upper management and Fred are just stuck with the mentality and philosophy that it can't be done with the delivery side. The company needs to adapt or be left behind by UPS and Amazon.
When did UPS buy out thousands and thousands of contracted routes and convert those who operated them into hourly employees? How much did they spend on that transaction? What year was it expensed on their financial report?

I'm curious to hear how something that they didn't do worked for them.

59 Dano

Response was a response to the surge caused by COVID. As bad as it was, doing nothing would have been worse and not even the armchair experts had any better ideas.

DRA was a small component of ROADS, with SRA being the primary component. For all the complaining about DRA, the overall impact of ROADS was outstanding. The software is easy to use at the station level and it doesn't take long to train someone on proper ACO.

What someone sees standing on the frontline is only part of it. There's another world on the other side.

59 Dano

I'm not saying they should do that.
I'm asking you, the smart guy. the one with all the RIGHT answers,

Ground seems to have problems that must be addressed (nut cuttin time seems to be on the horizon.) I'm asking you to analyze the situation and offer your remedy.

Your chance to shine Oracle59, what is the solution.

As ground goes, so goes Express.
I think they should hire you. Any implosion would slow down as people tried to decipher your nonsense.

59 Dano

Works pretty well in some area, poorly in others. Work in progress.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They didn't hire you and made out handsomely.

I rest my case.
ECF1D399-3EA4-46D0-A06E-F1A2E45302C6.gif

Aquaman

In other words….

Works well at Station 1 in Memphis. Sucks in the real world.
The foresight this company has is horrible. How can you not know what is going to succeed or fail at this place? What works in one location and horribly fails in another should be written on the wall for all upper managment to see. What works is for all couriers in this entire company to run their routes how they see fit. But that requires experience, training, and a willingness to learn & stick it out. The company is shooting for bottom of the barrel workers who will be happy with non-competitive pay going forward. That’s the future of this place. And it’s clear they’re trying to create software that essentially runs your route for you and tells you exactly where to go… so any idiot off the street can come in with zero training and do the job. Make the job less and less skilled to justify weak pay. That’s the goal. Can’t wait until all the “old school” map couriers who know their routes are gone. One cyber attack that shuts down the E-star and couriers won’t be going on road haha.

MAKAVELI

Wh
When did UPS buy out thousands and thousands of contracted routes and convert those who operated them into hourly employees? How much did they spend on that transaction? What year was it expensed on their financial report?

I'm curious to hear how something that they didn't do worked for them.
Why would FedEx need to buy out thousands of contractors? The contracts are not permanent and either party can end the contract.

bbsam

Staff member
Wh
Why would FedEx need to buy out thousands of contractors? The contracts are not permanent and either party can end the contract.
If they ended the contracts today, who would show up tomorrow?

Technically I think they have to give a 30 day notice.

If I got a 30 day notice today, do you think anything would leave the building tomorrow?

You are correct though. The contracts are not permanent. In reality, everything is far trickier especially if you’re dealing with 6000 contracts.

bacha29

Wh
If they were to do this and it would be the last resort they would likely begin the transition regionally and do it over a 2 to 3 year period. And they would be lucky to get it done in the timeline.
I think what you might see is FXG leasing terminals to third parties who would operate it as independent entities tied to contractual performance levels.

MAKAVELI

If they ended the contracts today, who would show up tomorrow?

Technically I think they have to give a 30 day notice.

If I got a 30 day notice today, do you think anything would leave the building tomorrow?

You are correct though. The contracts are not permanent. In reality, everything is far trickier especially if you’re dealing with 6000 contracts.
Obviously they aren't going to lock the doors in one day. Buying out anyone isn't mandatory but probably the better option. FedEx spends $ like a drunken sailor. It really wouldn't hurt them financially.

bbsam

Staff member
Obviously they aren't going to lock the doors in one day. Buying out anyone isn't mandatory but probably the better option. FedEx spends $ like a drunken sailor. It really wouldn't hurt them financially.
Exactly. They wouldn’t “have” to but all things being equal, yeah, they’d have to.