Turning point coming

dezguy

Never use E-Notes?! Yeah let the poor swing driver figure it out. You guys kill me. Why not make life a little easier for the person running your rte when you are out?
When swings stop trying to make it look like an 8 hour route only takes 6 hours because they are running from stop to stop, working through break, showing up at pups hours before the ready time and telling the customer their shipment isn't going out if they don't have it ready right then, in an effort to make people look bad, maybe then I'll start leaving notes to make their day easier.

vantexan

Have you ever even been a courier? If you had you’d know that couriers know the routes about 2 times better than the average dispatcher, 5 times better than the average engineer.. and about 10 times better than the average manager. And on road route knowledge is still the fastest most productive tool this company has. Who’s faster when a detour happens or a random on-call pops up? A old veteran courier who knows his area like the back of his hand and just goes. Or a new kid who didn’t get properly trained because the software does the job for him, and is pulled over trying to look up the fastest way to get there on his phone? Oh ya and it’s a rural area with bad cell service so he’s just following a goofy LEO program that’s taking him down a road with a low bridge. A road the veteran knew to stay off of no matter what the dumb software told him. Or when the new kid is sitting at the train tracks waiting on a train because he doesn’t know to avoid that road around 4pm. There’s nothing superior to knowing your area. And it’s a proven researched fact that drivers following navigation retain less knowledge of how they actually got there.
They don't want long term couriers. Plug anyone into a rt with the electronics, no rt knowledge needed. People get frustrated and quit long before better pay is reached. Rinse and repeat. That's my theory.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No? Prev page

For all the complaining about DRA, the overall impact of ROADS was outstanding. The software is easy to use at the station level and it doesn't take long to train someone on proper ACO.
Yes, the overall impact of ROADS. You understand that DRA is but a component of ROADS, right? And that the overall purpose of ROADS was to reduce missorts, misloads, and overall time on the sort, right?

59 Dano

FedEx spends $billions on capital expenditures every year. It would be no different than any other year or years. Having two separate systems servicing the same customers is highly inefficient and expensive.
Let's add a full-time employee at well over $40,000 year before OT, plus the associated increase in admin costs, plus the associated vehicle costs, plus all the other costs, to do something that's already being done at a lower cost.

Why?

59 Dano

Have you ever even been a courier? If you had you’d know that couriers know the routes about 2 times better than the average dispatcher, 5 times better than the average engineer.. and about 10 times better than the average manager. And on road route knowledge is still the fastest most productive tool this company has. Who’s faster when a detour happens or a random on-call pops up? A old veteran courier who knows his area like the back of his hand and just goes. Or a new kid who didn’t get properly trained because the software does the job for him, and is pulled over trying to look up the fastest way to get there on his phone? Oh ya and it’s a rural area with bad cell service so he’s just following a goofy LEO program that’s taking him down a road with a low bridge. A road the veteran knew to stay off of no matter what the dumb software told him. Or when the new kid is sitting at the train tracks waiting on a train because he doesn’t know to avoid that road around 4pm. There’s nothing superior to knowing your area. And it’s a proven researched fact that drivers following navigation retain less knowledge of how they actually got there.

Dude, stop. A year on a route, whether you're using a paper map or whatever else, is plenty. It isn't like people forget their entire route each day and have to relearn it all again each day.

Stop pretending that this is quantum physics. We all know it isn't.

59 Dano

Nothing more frustrating than delivering to the receiving dock only to be told it goes to the front desk, or vice versa. Especially after waiting to even GET to the dock.

And only those willing to make their own job obsolete will enter that information into E-notes.

Absolutely true. Tribal Knowledge is the only ace that blue-collar people have remaining.
This level of pettiness is equally funny and sad.

59 Dano

When swings stop trying to make it look like an 8 hour route only takes 6 hours because they are running from stop to stop, working through break, showing up at pups hours before the ready time and telling the customer their shipment isn't going out if they don't have it ready right then, in an effort to make people look bad, maybe then I'll start leaving notes to make their day easier.
LOL LOL LOL

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Let's add a full-time employee at well over $40,000 year before OT, plus the associated increase in admin costs, plus the associated vehicle costs, plus all the other costs, to do something that's already being done at a lower cost.

Why?
There are costs that are measured in more than payroll that can make $40K+ a bargain.

The problem with being a bean counter, is all you can count are beans.

Aquaman

Dude, stop. A year on a route, whether you're using a paper map or whatever else, is plenty. It isn't like people forget their entire route each day and have to relearn it all again each day.

Stop pretending that this is quantum physics. We all know it isn't.
Oh my bad, I forgot the company has been making service for the last 2 years. I forgot that making service is the only thing that actually matters at this company. Something managment has absolutely no hand in. And something that is done best when the courier has zero influence from managment/dispatch/engineering.

yadig

It’s hard to believe that dano is unaware that this company is in disarray. We’re no longer “the world on time”. We’re more focused on being the cheapest shipper with the worst service. It’s a fact that our service levels are below ups, and usps. Please explain how this is a good look for the company and it’s future. The earnings report today will reveal how the company is doing.

Aquaman

It’s hard to believe that dano is unaware that this company is in disarray. We’re no longer “the world on time”. We’re more focused on being the cheapest shipper with the worst service. It’s a fact that our service levels are below ups, and usps. Please explain how this is a good look for the company and it’s future. The earnings report today will reveal how the company is doing.
Don’t worry the software that tells drivers how to run their routes will solve all service issues lol. We all know FedEx systems never go down. He’s in managment. You sit at a desk long enough you view the company through a spreadsheet. You start to view drivers as lazy A holes who are just trying to preserve their routes instead of experts in the area. It’s not his fault. It just happens.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Don’t worry the software that tells drivers how to run their routes will solve all service issues lol. We all know FedEx systems never go down. He’s in managment. You sit at a desk long enough you view the company through a spreadsheet. You start to view drivers as lazy A holes who are just trying to preserve their routes instead of experts in the area. It’s not his fault. It just happens.
@59 Dano is an elitist. Don't burst his superiority bubble.

Unfortunately, some otherwise intelligent people are overwhelmed by their faux superiority.

bacha29

I always described FDX service this way......." There's cheap and then there's economical.....Right now we're just cheap".

NC man

Yes, the overall impact of ROADS. You understand that DRA is but a component of ROADS, right? And that the overall purpose of ROADS was to reduce missorts, misloads, and overall time on the sort, right?

No,because we are kept in the dark or were,retired now. Maybe was better other stations but a disaster where I was. Under DRA many more pkgs were routed to wrong route because the software or engineer or combo would not or could not fix addresses being plotted wrong .