Turning point coming

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Better pay doesn’t solve everything but it sure keeps a lot of experienced people from leaving. But if the company model is sustained by managing high turnover, would you say they are doing a good job of it?

Can't say that the company model is sustained by high turnover.

Would you say that they fudge numbers to make it looks better than it is?
No, there's no reason to do so. What's to be gained?

How sustainable is what they’re doing?
According to their quarterly and annual financials, it's been sustainable enough.

59 Dano

High turnover has many costs and consequences...replacing an entry-level employee costs 50 percent of their annual salary.

Largest mistake Corporate makes is listening to people like you!
You can post articles about this stuff until the cows come home. Maybe I agree with most of it.

The only one that matters is the annual financial report.

59 Dano

I never said turnover isn’t a problem. It’s always going to be in warehouse work. But UPS at least has a job… stay with me here… I know it’s gonna blow your mind… that PAYS GREAT… and has INCREDIBLE BENEFITS. Better than your weak managment pay. That to some degree keeps handlers on the sort. Why is that a difficult concept for you to grasp?

LOL, who said it doesn't keep some handlers on the sort? They're still hurting for them. People who want driving jobs can get them off the street.

For a company to have a desirable job for people to shoot for? Doesn’t mean some UPS drivers don’t hate their life. But most probably love the money. If you’re the type of person that wants that money.. there’s at least a reason to stay. What does FedEx have? A $23/hr class A job? A $20/hr courier job? A micro managing waste of time salary managment job? Find me one reason to stay long term at this dump other than not wanting to advance.
I make a nice living, can work from home just about whenever I want, have a decent bit of leeway over my schedule, am in a nice warm building when it's cold out, am in a nice cool building when it's hot out, no heavy lifting, don't have to worry about dog bites, I enjoy the professional challenges and growth, working with QDM groups, and the opportunity to learn new things. There. Several reasons.

If you aren't willing to do much more than the minimum for whatever reason, great, just don't expect much.

bbsam

Staff member
Can't say that the company model is sustained by high turnover.

No, there's no reason to do so. What's to be gained?

According to their quarterly and annual financials, it's been sustainable enough.
I’m actually not the one saying it, but I agree with it.

59 Dano

I’m actually not the one saying it, but I agree with it.

It's one article looking at a one year window during a pandemic in which the contractor model had issues.

Should we pretend that the 20 years of nice growth and healthy margins under the same business model didn't happen?

bbsam

Staff member
It's one article looking at a one year window during a pandemic in which the contractor model had issues.

Should we pretend that the 20 years of nice growth and healthy margins under the same business model didn't happen?

It’s a prevailing view and concern among investors. It’s not 2002 anymore and inflation is growing faster than wages that have decades to make up for.

20 years helped FedEx grow and create great margins. Times have changed. FedEx remains slow to adapt.

FedEx recently added a fuel surcharge. Care to guess how much of that goes to contractors? Lol. Never miss an opportunity to profit off global tragedy!

59 Dano

It’s a prevailing view and concern among investors. It’s not 2002 anymore and inflation is growing faster than wages that have decades to make up for.
OK, it's a one year window during a pandemic and rates of inflation not seen in 40 years. Keeping wages consistent with this type of inflation is a no-win game, as we learned years ago. That's not to say that wage issue need to be addressed at some point, but people are so hysterical about it that it makes it seem like a bunch of hyenas howling for the sake of hearing their own voices.

20 years helped FedEx grow and create great margins. Times have changed. FedEx remains slow to adapt.
Again, that's looking at a snapshot with unusual circumstances and ignoring the overall context. You don't overhaul something permanently to address a temporary situation. I wouldn't.

FedEx recently added a fuel surcharge. Care to guess how much of that goes to contractors? Lol. Never miss an opportunity to profit off global tragedy!
You can afford it.

yadig

You can post articles about this stuff until the cows come home. Maybe I agree with most of it.

The only one that matters is the annual financial report.
I’ve been told that FedEx express was gonna get the profit margins in double digits again, they haven’t in 10 years or more. Is that a good annual financial report? Haven’t you noticed ground profit margins consistently shrinking into single digits also? I’ve noticed the stock going down also. I’m sure 20 years ago the scam was very profitable, not so much now.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, it's a one year window during a pandemic and rates of inflation not seen in 40 years. Keeping wages consistent with this type of inflation is a no-win game, as we learned years ago. That's not to say that wage issue need to be addressed at some point, but people are so hysterical about it that it makes it seem like a bunch of hyenas howling for the sake of hearing their own voices.

Again, that's looking at a snapshot with unusual circumstances and ignoring the overall context. You don't overhaul something permanently to address a temporary situation. I wouldn't.

You can afford it.
It’s not a one year snapshot. It’s an event that lasted a year plus and has changed history going forward. Huge difference. Post pandemic reality is the new “overall context”. And maybe you don’t overhaul it but you certainly don’t look at a year of suckage where your biggest competitor absolutely killed it and act like very significant changes need to happen.

For reference, a contractor on Facebook broke down fuel prices and Ground’s fuel supplement between the start of the contract and about a month ago. Fuel expense went up by 65%. FedEx fuel supplement went up by 53%.

One way or another, before this year ends, people will be parking trucks. It will be either under protest or simply unable to financially continue. And it’s not just one or two contractors throughout the country and it’s not just small “mom and pop”shops. It’s the larger investors who decide that continuing down the FedEx owning business isn’t profitable and doesn’t look to be anytime in the near future.

Investors are figuring this out at every level and Pittsburgh/Memphis is completely out of touch with it.

Aquaman

It’s not a one year snapshot. It’s an event that lasted a year plus and has changed history going forward. Huge difference. Post pandemic reality is the new “overall context”. And maybe you don’t overhaul it but you certainly don’t look at a year of suckage where your biggest competitor absolutely killed it and act like very significant changes need to happen.

For reference, a contractor on Facebook broke down fuel prices and Ground’s fuel supplement between the start of the contract and about a month ago. Fuel expense went up by 65%. FedEx fuel supplement went up by 53%.

One way or another, before this year ends, people will be parking trucks. It will be either under protest or simply unable to financially continue. And it’s not just one or two contractors throughout the country and it’s not just small “mom and pop”shops. It’s the larger investors who decide that continuing down the FedEx owning business isn’t profitable and doesn’t look to be anytime in the near future.

Investors are figuring this out at every level and Pittsburgh/Memphis is completely out of touch with it.
He thinks the same way upper managment does.., that things are going to go back to the way it was. Even then they still had a big pay problem where other jobs were gaining on them. Now they’ve caught up, and express can’t afford to stand out.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
He thinks the same way upper managment does.., that things are going to go back to the way it was. Even then they still had a big pay problem where other jobs were gaining on them. Now they’ve caught up, and express can’t afford to stand out.
"...And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet and I don't know nature's ways
So I'll try and see into your eyes right now
And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days!"

59 Dano

I’ve been told that FedEx express was gonna get the profit margins in double digits again, they haven’t in 10 years or more. Is that a good annual financial report? Haven’t you noticed ground profit margins consistently shrinking into single digits also? I’ve noticed the stock going down also. I’m sure 20 years ago the scam was very profitable, not so much now.
Missed all the talk about the company's record profits in the last FY, did you?