Turning point coming

Star B

White Lightening
It'd be a great way to get those older, higher paid employees with 4 SPH routes out in the country to go ahead and retire.

Well, they put their time in, they can get their retirement routes if they want. Especially if they are still being productive. The CRR can't control where Memphis wants to service 6 days a week.

I don't think it's fair to pay a guy doing 15 SPH less than a guy who doesn't do half that.

If your hypothetical 4SPH CRR was just being 4SPH because he was being lazy then yes, your right. However, most 4SPH CRRs have a very large area to cover. An area that if you mess up due to inexperience, it's not like in the city where you can go around a block in 2 minutes. Miss something? Oh, it's not 10 minutes back, it's half an hour or more. Somewhere where technology hasn't progressed and Google maps wont help you when you are still on 4G (HSPA+) in those areas (Yes, AT&T/VZW still has huge areas around here where LTE isn't available)

I feel like I'm starting to bacha this post, so it's time to end it. In short, just because rural older CRR is averaging 5SPH doesn't mean that they should be paid less than an urban CRR that can do 15+SPH. If they are being as efficient as they can be, making service if possible without bringing back code 1s, getting their pups on time, they should be paid the same or more than a city CRR.

Last edited:

falcon back

Well, they put their time in, they can get their retirement routes if they want. Especially if they are still being productive. The CRR can't control where Memphis wants to service 6 days a week.

If your hypothetical 4SPH CRR was just being 4SPH because he was being lazy then yes, your right. However, most 4SPH CRRs have a very large area to cover. An area that if you mess up due to inexperience, it's not like in the city where you can go around a block in 2 minutes. Miss something? Oh, it's not 10 minutes back, it's half an hour or more. Somewhere where technology hasn't progressed and Google maps wont help you when you are still on 4G (HSPA+) in those areas (Yes, AT&T/VZW still has huge areas around here where LTE isn't available)

I feel like I'm starting to bacha this post, so it's time to end it. In short, just because rural older CRR is averaging 5SPH doesn't mean that they should be paid less than an urban CRR that can do 15+SPH. If they are being as efficient as they can be, making service if possible without bringing back code 1s, getting their pups on time, they should be paid the same or more than a city CRR.
You are answering a guy that has very limited knowledge about station operations. Save your breath

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That’s unfair to someone with a real route who actually has to hustle. Money-losing routes out in the boonies are like bad quarterbacks in the NFL - the nature of the business means that you’re going to have them - but it’s stupid to spend good money on either of them.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That’s unfair to someone with a real route who actually has to hustle. Money-losing routes out in the boonies are like bad quarterbacks in the NFL - the nature of the business means that you’re going to have them - but it’s stupid to spend good money on either of them.
If anything, it's stupid to spend good money on positions like yours.
bored-office-gettyimages-625737346.jpg

yadig

I’ve heard a lot of employees claim that they are getting some revenge. It takes 20 yrs to top out it takes another 20 to get mine.

NC man

What did you do on your insurance choice?
well, waiting for the ins packet. Weird to me that the company waits til you leave before sending info to make choices. If you just up and quit I get it but when you set retirement date and leave seems odd. They say your choice is retroactive in case you have claim or claims during this period but not taking any chances, meaning Im not going to Dr until its set. if I need emergency care then no choice,knock on wood. I'm probably gonna take COBRA for this year so I have more money in RHPA to get decent policy next year in the market which would cover the premiums for good policy, lower deductible and max out of pocket etc.I did get sheet in mail that shows COBRA is 450 month so I can handle that, was paying about 200 month when employed. Vision and dental is cheap so no big deal on those.

P1 Failure

Not everyone who has a rural route is a senior courier making top pay. There are a lot of senior couriers who run busy routes in the city and burbs. If someone has put in their time and there is a rural route to be taken then why not a senior courier? Not everyone wants that kind of route. I’m about to take a route that’s a 40 to 45 minute stem but gets 90 to 100 stops a day. It’s mostly resi. This will be my retirement route. No apartments,no govt bldgs and no city traffic. After 24 years I’m ready for a change and I think I deserve it. I’ve put my time in. 15 years as a swing and 9 years on my current route. Someone younger can deal with this area.

falcon back

You have to start the insurance actions the day you retire. You can't start Cobra until you are actually off the payroll and then it's the same when you go on Retiree insurance. Cobra for 18 months isn't a bad deal. I had some friends buy insurance from Farm Bureau and have been happy with it. I am gonna look into it after the 1st of the year. It's way cheaper than Retiree, actually cheaper than Cobra. Deductibles are very reasonable but Max Out of Pocket is a little high and there are some restrictions for pre-existing conditions. I hate watching my RHPA money dwindle down so fast but fortunately I have the funds in place to take over when it runs out. Good luck and enjoy your retirement. It is awesome knowing you don't have to worry about anything related to packages again.

falcon back

Not everyone who has a rural route is a senior courier making top pay. There are a lot of senior couriers who run busy routes in the city and burbs. If someone has put in their time and there is a rural route to be taken then why not a senior courier? Not everyone wants that kind of route. I’m about to take a route that’s a 40 to 45 minute stem but gets 90 to 100 stops a day. It’s mostly resi. This will be my retirement route. No apartments,no govt bldgs and no city traffic. After 24 years I’m ready for a change and I think I deserve it. I’ve put my time in. 15 years as a swing and 9 years on my current route. Someone younger can deal with this area.
You are answering a guy who doesn't have a clue how station operations work. Corporate is his specialty. I agree with what you said but he insist every senior courier runs 4 sph and has the easiest rts in the station. Those of us that actually worked in DGO know that isn't the case.

NC man

You have to start the insurance actions the day you retire. You can't start Cobra until you are actually off the payroll and then it's the same when you go on Retiree insurance. Cobra for 18 months isn't a bad deal. I had some friends buy insurance from Farm Bureau and have been happy with it. I am gonna look into it after the 1st of the year. It's way cheaper than Retiree, actually cheaper than Cobra. Deductibles are very reasonable but Max Out of Pocket is a little high and there are some restrictions for pre-existing conditions. I hate watching my RHPA money dwindle down so fast but fortunately I have the funds in place to take over when it runs out. Good luck and enjoy your retirement. It is awesome knowing you don't have to worry about anything related to packages again.

I already have to think what day it is,wonderful ! Next is shopping for some new golf clubs

falcon back

I already have to think what day it is,wonderful ! Next is shopping for some new golf clubs
It doesn't matter what clubs I have, my golf game is HORRIBLE. I play 3 times a week sometimes and I can't see any improvement. I have a good time but I realized I suck at golf.
Working on Pickle Ball now. Perfect game for a retired couple.

Star B

White Lightening
That’s unfair to someone with a real route who actually has to hustle.
Some of the hardest working CRRs I saw were the ones out in the sticks. Yes, the body may not take the beating like a city CRR does. The physical exhaustion is exchanged for the mental challenge of having to route yourself (SRA still exists and SSRA sucks ass), having to pay close attention to the streets and other visual cues ("okay, redneck ct will be after this turn, and then after the third barn that will be budweiser ln"), dealing with crappy weather(the prospect of screwing up and getting stuck will be a minimum of an hour wait for the tow truck), and finally, just having to keep your mind engaged on what you have left in the back of your truck, what the next 5 random-length turns are to your next stop.

Or, in short.... the only whining I hear about "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO WORK UNTIL 3:30PM?? WHY DOES OUR ENGINEER HAVE IT SET TO THIS TIME OMG I WANT TO BE DONE BY 2!!! *proceeds to drop 1/4th of their route*" are from the urban CRRs.

Yes, if you ONLY look at profit per hour, then yes, it sucks that a rural CRR that does 4SPH makes the same as a city CRR that does 15SPH. They both earn it, just in a different way.

Oh, wait, I thought it was PEOPLE, SERVICE, and then profit. If anyone thinks that giving Ground the low SPH is going to be the key to moving forward, they are going to be sorely mistaken once Ground finds the next ravine to dump pkgs into.