Turning point coming

dezguy

Some of the hardest working CRRs I saw were the ones out in the sticks. Yes, the body may not take the beating like a city CRR does. The physical exhaustion is exchanged for the mental challenge of having to route yourself (SRA still exists and SSRA sucks ass), having to pay close attention to the streets and other visual cues ("okay, redneck ct will be after this turn, and then after the third barn that will be budweiser ln"), dealing with crappy weather(the prospect of screwing up and getting stuck will be a minimum of an hour wait for the tow truck), and finally, just having to keep your mind engaged on what you have left in the back of your truck, what the next 5 random-length turns are to your next stop.

Or, in short.... the only whining I hear about "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO WORK UNTIL 3:30PM?? WHY DOES OUR ENGINEER HAVE IT SET TO THIS TIME OMG I WANT TO BE DONE BY 2!!! *proceeds to drop 1/4th of their route*" are from the urban CRRs.

Yes, it sucks that a rural CRR that does 4SPH makes the same as a city CRR that does 15SPH. They both earn it, just in a different way.
Don't forget having to plan out washroom breaks in advanced. I have had a couple "emergencies" I've had to get "creative with" on my route. lol

Mutineer

Some of the hardest working CRRs I saw were the ones out in the sticks. Yes, the body may not take the beating like a city CRR does. The physical exhaustion is exchanged for the mental challenge of having to route yourself (SRA still exists and SSRA sucks ass), having to pay close attention to the streets and other visual cues ("okay, redneck ct will be after this turn, and then after the third barn that will be budweiser ln"), dealing with crappy weather(the prospect of screwing up and getting stuck will be a minimum of an hour wait for the tow truck), and finally, just having to keep your mind engaged on what you have left in the back of your truck, what the next 5 random-length turns are to your next stop.
Everything you wrote is true. I did about six years on rural routes. The Thomas Guide was simply inadequate, realtor maps sometimes helped, fire dept maps were very good. I had plenty of maps that I drew by hand.

Always the worry of getting caught out and mauled by a pack of semi-wild dogs. I don't care how much of a MMA bad-ass a person may think he is. Those can seriously injure or kill you easy. Nobody will hear you scream. I always carried pepper spray and a quality dagger. Too many close calls and sprints to my van.

Another worry was surprising people who were not accustomed to visitors, and who were unaware or had forgotten they had a delivery coming.

bacha29

They can't hire people now from what I hear and read on here, why would you intentionally create manning shortages. They even brought back the casual positions for retired employees due to manning shortages. I never witnessed these senior people running 15 sph less than a new hire. I saw just the opposite. Senior people had a work ethic and job knowledge that new hires didn't have. Nothing was funnier than watching new hires panic when the system was down and the yellow stickers weren't on the packages. People that had been on their route for years could not pull the belt because they had no idea what stops were theirs, even though they went there every day. Watching newbies using GPS for stops like a major warehouse or huge office bldg because they were unsure where that stop was. I will take a 40 yr courier over a newbie any and everyday.
Manning? They would be perfect helpers. They could drive down the street with one standing in the side doorway putting every box at the front door from 40 yards out.

FedexCares

Everything you wrote is true. I did about six years on rural routes. The Thomas Guide was simply inadequate, realtor maps sometimes helped, fire dept maps were very good. I had plenty of maps that I drew by hand.

Always the worry of getting caught out and mauled by a pack of semi-wild dogs. I don't care how much of a MMA bad-ass a person may think he is. Those can seriously injure or kill you easy. Nobody will hear you scream. I always carried pepper spray and a quality dagger. Too many close calls and sprints to my van.

Another worry was surprising people who were not accustomed to visitors, and who were unaware or had forgotten they had a delivery coming.
Rural routes is where this job is actually enjoyable. Spent 6 years running my ass off in a city route with tons of stops before switching to a domicile route in the Pacific Northwest that went up the pacific coast and into national parks. About 300 miles a day and sometimes no more then 30-35 stops. Didn’t mind going to work most days, some of the best scenery in the country.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Packs of wild dogs? Where the :censored2: do you work? I would be strapped!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Knowing your route is that much of a mental challenge on a daily basis?

Yes, if you ONLY look at profit per hour, then yes, it sucks that a rural CRR that does 4SPH makes the same as a city CRR that does 15SPH. They both earn it, just in a different way.

One of them is very productive, and the other one OMG THE MENTAL CHALLENGE OF HAVING FEW STOPS!!!

falcon back

No one is saying that. However, those routes are more often filled by longer tenured employees at the higher end of range.
Simply not true. You continue to prove you have no knowledge of station operations. Plenty of newer people ran extended area routes where I was. Extended rts have pros and cons. Many senior people just don't like the cons. Better stay in corporate and leave station operations to your friends that have a clue.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
W/ Ground being contracted i just dont see this happening
It's not. It's just one more thing that people who enjoy being wrong about most other things are wrong about.

One of the other rumors (this one didn't come from couriers, so it's probably more accurate) is that they are looking at possible changes to pay and alterations to RESPONSE now that the economy is more or less completely open and the unprecedented levels of volume are back down to a more manageable level.

Mutineer

Rural routes is where this job is actually enjoyable.
I prefer a route where I deal with the same, predictable people and problems every day, and where I can run a personal errand during lunch. For me, the worst route is a military installation with lots of civilian, federal employees.

People say that towns and cities are full of difficult, pain in the ass, crazy people. But I'd rather deal with ten 'town' problems than one 'rural' problem.
Packs of wild dogs? Where the :censored2: do you work? I would be strapped!
I live in California. I didn't mean to make it seem that wild dogs are a big problem in rural areas. But they do happen from time to time.

Dogs are very Jekyll & Hyde when they get into a group. They quickly establish an efficient hierarchy and can be very unpredictable.

All it takes is a few ordinarily well-behaved ranch or farm dogs to find each-other, and the next thing you know they are mauling livestock. Or anything in their path. Just look for the sheep, pig, or goat with no nose, lips, ears, or tail.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I prefer a route where I deal with the same, predictable people and problems every day, and where I can run a personal errand during lunch. For me, the worst route is a military installation with lots of civilian, federal employees.

People say that towns and cities are full of difficult, pain in the ass, crazy people. But I'd rather deal with ten 'town' problems than one 'rural' problem.

I live in California. I didn't mean to make it seem that wild dogs are a big problem in rural areas. But they do happen from time to time.

Dogs are very Jekyll & Hyde when they get into a group. They quickly establish an efficient hierarchy and can be very unpredictable.

All it takes is a few ordinarily well-behaved ranch or farm dogs to find each-other, and the next thing you know they are mauling livestock. Or anything in their path. Just look for the sheep, pig, or goat with no nose, lips, ears, or tail.
I don’t trust a bunch of dogs either.

falcon back

Exactly. Rural routes present problems city routes don't have.
Nothing worse than any government delivery. Besides the security issues, the attitudes and inefficiencies of their employees are rampant. Just like delivering to a warehouse where the employees are in a union. When the ONE guy that is allowed to sign for the delivery is not available, you either wait or come back later.

Guitarman01

One of the other rumors (this one didn't come from couriers, so it's probably more accurate) is that they are looking at possible changes to pay and alterations to RESPONSE
I would be surprised if RESPONSE lasted past winter. To me response seems like a huge liability, especially in the northern states. Brand new rental trucks, alot of new drivers, learning their routes in the dark with now snow and ice to contend with. That will not be easy. They will keep drivers out past 9-10pm at my station. I would not want to be doing some of these rural routes that late with some of whats already been mentioned.
I would much rather have a city route on midday.
One guy told me he saw a guy going for his shotgun through his window because he didnt know who was pulling up late and night in the all white rental van.
I had a lady when I was making a late delivery stay in her car and back into her garage because she was scared when I pulled up out in the country.
I would also def take a city route in the winter over a country one.

Maui

It's not. It's just one more thing that people who enjoy being wrong about most other things are wrong about.

One of the other rumors (this one didn't come from couriers, so it's probably more accurate) is that they are looking at possible changes to pay and alterations to RESPONSE now that the economy is more or less completely open and the unprecedented levels of volume are back down to a more manageable level.
Not in the second half of FY22, but every market has been evaluated for this. There is a 100% chance more buildings will house both Opcos. Some Express will move into Ground and some FXG will move into Express. Some Express stations will close within the next 3-5 years. Of course these are more rural locations, but also some mid-sized cities in the future.

For FY22 it probably means more profit from full TNT integration and slower building FXG capacity/buildings.

MAKAVELI

Not in the second half of FY22, but every market has been evaluated for this. There is a 100% chance more buildings will house both Opcos. Some Express will move into Ground and some FXG will move into Express. Some Express stations will close within the next 3-5 years. Of course these are more rural locations, but also some mid-sized cities in the future.

For FY22 it probably means more profit from full TNT integration and slower building FXG capacity/buildings.
Time for the RLA to go bye-bye.