Turning point coming

Questions Needed Answered

You don’t think the package car job is a hiring tool? You don’t think a $100K a year driving job is a draw? I know for a fact a lot of handlers get on there with the goal of driving. At FedEx they can’t hire full time drivers off the street. What handler at express has the goal of driving? Lol you don’t have to even be a handler first here.

FedEx's saving grace compared to UPS is their contract.
FedEx can offer more for entry level than UPS.
That does not mean they can retain them however.
Perhaps that's by design. At what year does burnout happen? 3? 5? Better to keep hiring fresh 21 year olds than to hear the "veteran" 25 year olds complain about how "good it used to be."

Questions Needed Answered

You don’t think the package car job is a hiring tool? You don’t think a $100K a year driving job is a draw? I know for a fact a lot of handlers get on there with the goal of driving. At FedEx they can’t hire full time drivers off the street. What handler at express has the goal of driving? Lol you don’t have to even be a handler first here.

Problem is the fresh 21 year olds keep leaving because of the :censored2: show and lack of pay progression. Lol
Okay? And? Are you attempting to argue that the training costs don't merit hiring more of them? Courier training is done via zoom or skype or some such now so there isn't much cost involved.

bacha29

While you guys are arguing over pay and progression perhaps the winner of the box wars will be the company that can get the job done and waste the least amount of oil doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think Fat Freddy's cobbled together pile of acquired companies will make out too good in that area. In fact Big Oil has told Europe to prepare for possible spot shortages across the continent.

Aquaman

What contract do you mean?
Their union contract that awards them the best benefits & wage in the industry by a LARGE margin. Helps quite a bit with retention. FedEx doesn’t have a single hourly job that would keep a handler on the sort. Couriers are underpaid with a 20 year pay progression. RTD’s aren’t even close to competitive. Ramp agents are in the same boat. There’s no carrot to chase at this place. Go as high up the hourly chain as you want. There’s nothing to stay for. UPS agrees to these contracts because as much as it hurts to cough up the money.. they know having the top paid drivers in the country makes them a desirable job. FedEx thinks making $43,000/yr while paying $300-$400 a month for family insurance is a solid desirable gig. One that employees will happily stay at for decades.

zeev

While you guys are arguing over pay and progression perhaps the winner of the box wars will be the company that can get the job done and waste the least amount of oil doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think Fat Freddy's cobbled together pile of acquired companies will make out too good in that area. In fact Big Oil has told Europe to prepare for possible spot shortages across the continent.
This oil situation could be the straw that breaks FedEx s back, all those trucks running to the same spot could be a game breaker.

NC man

This oil situation could be the straw that breaks FedEx s back, all those trucks running to the same spot could be a game breaker.
Yea,God only knows how much was wasted on fuel with DRA. 4.59 a gallon for diesel here,year ago or so a buck 99. Huge increase multiplied by gallons per truck and nbr of trucks nationwide

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There's a 15 page thread in the UPS section that talks about their staffing problems.

You both could stand to learn a little about the industry. UPS? Lots of turnover with the 22.4 drivers, who were sold down the river by the IBT and the union members who approved that language in the contract. Haven't you heard? UPS is cutting wages and hours in several parts of the country.
I have to correct you on something. The union members did NOT approve the 22.4 language. the Union itself came up with the 22.4 idea and the members voted against it. The problem was, the members who voted weren’t a majority so the Teamsters Board overrode them. @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U correct me if I’m wrong.

I have to correct you on something. The union members did NOT approve the 22.4 language. the Union itself came up with the 22.4 idea and the members voted against it. The problem was, the members who voted weren’t a majority so the Teamsters Board overrode them. @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U correct me if I’m wrong.
You're correct on that part.
But they cannot do that again the two thirds rule was thrown out the last convention
I guess game is on next year

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yea,God only knows how much was wasted on fuel with DRA. 4.59 a gallon for diesel here,year ago or so a buck 99. Huge increase multiplied by gallons per truck and nbr of trucks nationwide
And Fred won't give any raises blaming high fuel prices while the idiots that thought up the response program will be rewarded handsomely.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The difference with UPS is they don’t have to compete as fiercely in the handler area because they have a industry leading job that everyone at the company is willing to wait for.

You don't know what you're talking about. Why take a handler position at UPS in hopes of getting a driving job when you can get a 22.4 driving job off the street??

Do you even know that UPS hires drivers off the street, mostly under the 22.4 classification?

It's like you're using 1999's talking points.

yadig

You don't know what you're talking about. Why take a handler position at UPS in hopes of getting a driving job when you can get a 22.4 driving job off the street??

Do you even know that UPS hires drivers off the street, mostly under the 22.4 classification?

It's like you're using 1999's talking points.
Ignorant

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
OK, you made me have to look it up.

The vote was 54% NO, 46% YES. The requirement to make it stick was at least a 50% voter turnout and a simple majority NO vote or a 66% NO vote with a less than 50% voter turnout. They had a 44% turnout and didn't get the 66% threshold.

I still say the drivers sold them down the river on that. 46%? That's ridiculous.