Two MEANJ sleeper drivers passed away

Thebrownblob

Honestly I've seen just as much, if not more, dangerous driving from other truck drivers than I have from cars.

Some of these people are completely nuts.
Crazy. Everyone’s job at United Parcel Service that drives is very dangerous. It’s just magnified times 10 with the heavy equipment and speed in Feeders. They don’t usually have fender benders, unfortunately.

brett636

Railways are rotting
Yep, its becoming common place for our trailers to get broken into while travelling by rail. Many show up with the seals and even rail bolts broken and the door hanging wide open as thieves ransack it while its parked. There are stretches of railway in California littered with boxes from all the stuff that gets stolen off the trains. When trains are late or derail its not just one load that misses service, but dozens of loads. Not to mention its slower than a sleeper team which is the main reason UPS decided to pull loads off the rail to begin with. Whether the company expands its sleeper network, eliminates it, or something in between has yet to be seen. The language in the contract regarding the pulling of loads off the rail has been eliminated so the company can do whatever it wants. It sounds like the smaller operations that had a handful of sleeper jobs are going to lose them. I come from a medium to large sized facility(630 drivers on our seniority board) so we haven't lost any, but I hear another "optimization" is coming this spring so time will tell. Personally I hope they keep them, but the company has the leeway to do what they believe is best.

Thebrownblob

Yep, its becoming common place for our trailers to get broken into while travelling by rail. Many show up with the seals and even rail bolts broken and the door hanging wide open as thieves ransack it while its parked. There are stretches of railway in California littered with boxes from all the stuff that gets stolen off the trains. When trains are late or derail its not just one load that misses service, but dozens of loads. Not to mention its slower than a sleeper team which is the main reason UPS decided to pull loads off the rail to begin with. Whether the company expands its sleeper network, eliminates it, or something in between has yet to be seen. The language in the contract regarding the pulling of loads off the rail has been eliminated so the company can do whatever it wants. It sounds like the smaller operations that had a handful of sleeper jobs are going to lose them. I come from a medium to large sized facility(630 drivers on our seniority board) so we haven't lost any, but I hear another "optimization" is coming this spring so time will tell. Personally I hope they keep them, but the company has the leeway to do what they believe is best.
Agreed sleeper teams seem to be being consolidated in the larger hubs.

oldngray

nowhere special
Phone capacity? WTF
drunk again.jpg